Hamilton
4%
Perez
9%

Total votes: 163

thermal

Driver of the race?

Post by thermal »

Who is your driver of the race for the 2014 Canadian GP?

Mr-E

Re: Driver of the race?

Post by Mr-E »

Dan was the man today.

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

Dan the man.

Amon

Post by Amon »

Dan, a clear winner! Rosberg did also well nursing the car to the end.
F1 fan since 1989

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

No contest.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Ricciardo will win this (and did a fantastic job) but you cant put a price on what Rosberg pulled off today.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

The most pointless poll in the history of polls

TakumaSatoforthewin

Post by TakumaSatoforthewin »

Dan did an incredible race and I didn't see a single mistake but I have to go with Perez today. Sorry.

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

NO result for the man but Perez and Force India had driven an incredible race until that disastrous crash. I would give it to them followed by Daniel and Rosberg for managing his crippled car to podium.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Rosberg for me, how he managed to get 2nd is beyond me and apparently most people in F1. Dan and Checo were also great.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

No contest? Pointless poll??

What about Perez? I'd vote him over Ricciardo clearly.
He looked like being able to hold the bulls for 2nd place until his brakes started to fail.

Irbis

Post by Irbis »

Toby. wrote:No contest.

It was "no contest" only thanks to Hulkenroadblock x(

Force India robbed us of some amazing driving today, battle between Rosberg, Ric, Vettel and Massa would have been epic if FI did 2 stop like everyone else or had any other engine and was beatable on straight :frown:

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

Ricciardo only got by Perez because of Perez's problems. He was also behind Vettel until Seb was caught up and Dan got by in the pit lane. Vettel seemed he would have taken Dan before Perez caved. Congratulations on the win, and he deserves it infinitely, but Rosberg is DoD for me, and I'd give Vettel the title before Dan considering how better his performance was relative to his team mate.
IV

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Perez for me. He is 3:1 ahead of Hulkenberg in races he has made it past the first lap unscathed now.

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Massa.

(I'll get my coat. :blush: )

moby

Post by moby »

I am undecided between Ricciardo and Nico, but went for Ricciardo.

To drive half the race in a duff car takes some doing, but if if your main competitor is out, not so hard in a superior car.

Ricciardo drove the best race and finished infront of 4 times champ (again)

benmc

Post by benmc »

My DOTD would be Jenson. McLaren has no right to be beating both Ferraris and a Williams, and he absolutely trounced Magnussen.
I don't follow F1 so I don't know what I'm talking about

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Massa for me, mostly because I feel sorry for his lonely 0 votes, and that people are giving him a lot of stick that isn't deserved. Great race by him, but seemed to struggle to pass the RBs, perhaps because they were getting equal tow and DRS as Massa. Hamilton struggled to pass Seb without the aid of DRS, but with the aid of slipstreaming, so don't think it was too easy to pass Seb and Daniel. The crash is a matter of opinion, of which I believe is not Massa's fault.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

jrwb6e

Post by jrwb6e »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:Massa for me, mostly because I feel sorry for his lonely 0 votes, and that people are giving him a lot of stick that isn't deserved. Great race by him, but seemed to struggle to pass the RBs, perhaps because they were getting equal tow and DRS as Massa. Hamilton struggled to pass Seb without the aid of DRS, but with the aid of slipstreaming, so don't think it was too easy to pass Seb and Daniel. The crash is a matter of opinion, of which I believe is not Massa's fault.

Well, the stewards agree that Perez moved in on Massa so they slapped him with a 5 grid spot penalty. The replays clearly show it.

I'm bewildered people are voting for him as DOTD.

F1Montreal

Post by F1Montreal »

Roseberg for me. Bringing in a crippled car in second, is first in my books.
But very happy for Ricciardo, he has his place with the Montreal crowd from now on.

HawaiiF1Fan

Post by HawaiiF1Fan »

Only choosing 1, it's Daniel.

Good drive for Nico, but without Lewis' car going teats up, he'd have been passed. Without Felipe taking out Perez, it might have been Perez. If Felipe didn't look like he dropped anchor once he caught up to Perez/Daniel/Seb, it might have been Felipe.

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

It's got to be Daniel. Started 6th and finished first. Pretty much all positions earned on merit bar Hamiltons retirement. He didn't 'beat Vettel in the pits' as some have said. Vettel pitted first! And once he was out of the way Ricciardo increased his speed and put in a massive lap and made up enough time in a single lap that after his pitstop he came back out in front.

And there's no justification for perez taking it today as by doing a one stop race he was simply out of position and using his merc engine and FI higher top speed to hold a position he never earnt. Didn't do anything even remotely impressive.

Rosberg may have a good claim for the spot, but it looks like they got his car ALMOST to 100% again after around 5 or 6 laps so that he was only losing 1/10th to 1/2 a second a lap, not two as at the start, and had a 20 second lead at that point so as long as he could drag it to the line he was in for a podium at least.

But he did have to drag a dying car around the track for 25? Laps. That's not easy so I can see why people would choose Rosberg... But really Anything other than Daniel or Rosberg I don't think can be justified. Hamilton fans looking for anyone other than nico or a red bull to pick maybe?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

Massa. he drove an excellent race and was poised for fourth, maybe third. Best showing by Williams in quite a few races.

Close second Ricciardo, Rosberg, Vettel, Button, Hulkenberg.

stranger

Post by stranger »

Dan all the way.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Happy for smiley Dan. Vettel better tighten your socks.

Had Perez not had electrical issues with his car, he could've managed to hold on to 2nd. Also if his tyres would've lasted a bit better towards the end. Carrying out a 1 stop strategy & stretching life on either tyre takes confidence & risk. He started 13th & on the 1st lap already managed to get past Hulk.

Hulk again showed his consistency. Another 5th place. Does he love the number '5'?

Happy for Button. From where did he come to finish 4th?
Feel The Fourth

Arai_or_Nothing

Post by Arai_or_Nothing »

2 words… NOT Rosberg.

Just bummed Hamilton's car failed him. He was coming strong and biding his time until his brakes let go. And I think Rosberg should have been told to
let Hamilton pass for cutting the chicane the way he did as hamilton took a much tighter and better line and was likely going to blow past on the straight,
upon which he'd likely have pulled a gap. Maybe running in clean air his brakes would not have failed.

gregwil

Post by gregwil »

AngusWolfe wrote:Ricciardo only got by Perez because of Perez's problems. He was also behind Vettel until Seb was caught up and Dan got by in the pit lane. Vettel seemed he would have taken Dan before Perez caved. Congratulations on the win, and he deserves it infinitely, but Rosberg is DoD for me, and I'd give Vettel the title before Dan considering how better his performance was relative to his team mate.
:thumbup: +1
Sebastian Vettel - 4 x World Driving Champion!!!

cm97

Post by cm97 »

gregwil wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:Ricciardo only got by Perez because of Perez's problems. He was also behind Vettel until Seb was caught up and Dan got by in the pit lane. Vettel seemed he would have taken Dan before Perez caved. Congratulations on the win, and he deserves it infinitely, but Rosberg is DoD for me, and I'd give Vettel the title before Dan considering how better his performance was relative to his team mate.

When the race was on the line, Ricciardo capitalised.
Solid start: check
Quick in lap: Check
Quick outlap: check
Managed the tires: check
Created and made an opportunistic pass: Check
Took the race lead when it was on the line: check
Vetted did well today, but other then the start, Dan outdid him in every way which contributed to the outcome.
Rosberg also bought his car home very well.
So yep Dan closely followed by Nico
#Keep Fighting Michael

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Nico/Dan.
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.

F1yer

Post by F1yer »

Dan was lucky at some points like Perez DRS.

But still hard to see past him for the DoD. Great Drive !

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Ricciardo - he was faster than Vettel all weekend except of that one lap in Q3 and beated him despite starting behind. Exceptional performance and a deserved win.

also very good
Rosberg
Button

Disappointing
Chilton
Räikkönen
the Williams drivers (with a real top driver, Williams should have won today)
Perez - for his stupid move after having driven an excellent race
Ferrari
Vettel - he actually did not do a bad race - but he did look like a No. 2 in this race (and was very, very lucky to be on the podium instead of getting involved in the Perez/Massa accident)

What was clear to see is that Renault's engine disadvantage is rather small, whereas Ferrari's is huge.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

As much as I was pleased for Ricciardo and he did a fantastic job taking what could be the only opportunity he may get for a win this year,

I have to give DOTD to Rosberg. He did a beautiful job just getting that car home, never mind in second. That could be a title winning drive yet. You could tell the team were expecting him to go the same way Hamilton did sooner or later.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

I am a big Lewis fan but I was surprised to see he got a few votes, even Seb got a few....

My vote went with Ric, he got the car home and he won a race while his team mate finished 3rd. Rosberg gets a honour mention but it goes to show even with a ill car he can still finish on the podium.

I cant say Massa/Perez because of their collision which I think was a racing incident.

Warheart01

Post by Warheart01 »

I have to be honest and admit that it does annoy me very much that Rosberg makes a mistake in two races but yet is gaining on it. 2-3 seconds added to his finishtime would have been a fair punishment because he did gain on it even though it wouldn't have made Lewis pass him there and then. But, I have to give credit where credit is due and give it to Rosberg for nursing the car home and grab 2nd.

I was disapointed that Lewis had to retire but if he cooked his breaks it's his fault for not saving atleast some points if the win was out of reach. When it happend I was disapointed but we did have a great race with a great finish and I'm massively pleased for Ricciardo! I was jumping up from the couch cheering him on when he overtook Rosberg for the win. My girlfriend and my dad must have thought I was crazy to cheer for a Red Bull! :D But I guess everything has a first. Vettel did show alot of class too for wholeheartedly congratulating Daniel, good to see and even he is slowly winning me over as a fan!

Honorable mention to Perez and Massa but shame for the crash, would have liked to see the outcome of the race had it not happend. Glad both are OK.

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Warheart01 wrote:I have to be honest and admit that it does annoy me very much that Rosberg makes a mistake in two races but yet is gaining on it. 2-3 seconds added to his finishtime would have been a fair punishment because he did gain on it even though it wouldn't have made Lewis pass him there and then. But, I have to give credit where credit is due and give it to Rosberg for nursing the car home and grab 2nd.

I was disapointed that Lewis had to retire but if he cooked his breaks it's his fault for not saving atleast some points if the win was out of reach. When it happend I was disapointed but we did have a great race with a great finish and I'm massively pleased for Ricciardo! I was jumping up from the couch cheering him on when he overtook Rosberg for the win. My girlfriend and my dad must have thought I was crazy to cheer for a Red Bull! :D But I guess everything has a first. Vettel did show alot of class too for wholeheartedly congratulating Daniel, good to see and even he is slowly winning me over as a fan!

Honorable mention to Perez and Massa but shame for the crash, would have liked to see the outcome of the race had it not happend. Glad both are OK.

Maybe reading this wrong but I just don't buy into this cooking his brakes in some sort of splendid isolation. If he ignored advice/info from the pits on temps then fair enough. But we have seen and heard nothing to that effect. Paddy indicated it happened/was noticed at the pit. And Wolff has apologised to Hamilton for the team letting him down. The immediate radio traffic to Rosberg on bias seems to indicate this was more an unexpected and sudden occcurance rather than a developing problem. And if it was a developing problem why did they decide; as confirmed by Merc, to let them continue racing after the MGU failure. Sounds to me like they were not prepared for such a sudden brake issue as a result of a failing MGU.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

shoot999 wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:I have to be honest and admit that it does annoy me very much that Rosberg makes a mistake in two races but yet is gaining on it. 2-3 seconds added to his finishtime would have been a fair punishment because he did gain on it even though it wouldn't have made Lewis pass him there and then. But, I have to give credit where credit is due and give it to Rosberg for nursing the car home and grab 2nd.

Maybe reading this wrong but I just don't buy into this cooking his brakes in some sort of splendid isolation. If he ignored advice/info from the pits on temps then fair enough. But we have seen and heard nothing to that effect. Paddy indicated it happened/was noticed at the pit. And Wolff has apologised to Hamilton for the team letting him down. The immediate radio traffic to Rosberg on bias seems to indicate this was more an unexpected and sudden occcurance rather than a developing problem. And if it was a developing problem why did they decide; as confirmed by Merc, to let them continue racing after the MGU failure. Sounds to me like they were not prepared for such a sudden brake issue as a result of a failing MGU.

It was the team's fault the MGU units broke, which ultimately lead to overheating and failing brakes. We don't know exactly what kind of communication there was between the drivers and the team (looking forward to reading the transcript!). And I bet with the whole world following the Rosberg-Hamilton duel, they will be more than cautios about issuing any kind of team orders that might decide their finishing order and lead to endless bantering on teh interwebs.

Aussie Grit

Post by Aussie Grit »

cm97 wrote:
gregwil wrote:

Vetted did well today, but other then the start, Dan outdid him in every way which contributed to the outcome.

+1 and if vettel was the quicker man.. He had plenty of time to get around him.. No excuses.
As you said Dan capitalised.
Supporting Alonso, Ricciardo and Hulk.

Find it hard to resist responding to stupid posts.

benmc

Post by benmc »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:What was clear to see is that Renault's engine disadvantage is rather small, whereas Ferrari's is huge.

Renault's engine deficit is huge. Vettel had the quickest Renault powered car in the field and he couldn't pass Hulkenberg, who had the slowest Mercedes powered car and tyres that were half a race older than Vettel.

Perez would have finished second if he hadn't developed brake issues. If a Williams, McLaren or Force India can make a one-stop work in Austria, they will beat Red Bull. I guarantee it. I can see a Merc 1-2, Williams 3-4 and a one-stopping Force India being 5th

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

benmc wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:What was clear to see is that Renault's engine disadvantage is rather small, whereas Ferrari's is huge.

Renault's engine deficit is huge. Vettel had the quickest Renault powered car in the field and he couldn't pass Hulkenberg, who had the slowest Mercedes powered car and tyres that were half a race older than Vettel.

Perez would have finished second if he hadn't developed brake issues. If a Williams, McLaren or Force India can make a one-stop work in Austria, they will beat Red Bull. I guarantee it. I can see a Merc 1-2, Williams 3-4 and a one-stopping Force India being 5th

Alonso couldnt pass Renault TR powered car in front of him on track. He had to get it done in pits. What does that say about Ferrari at this point?

benmc

Post by benmc »

Aussie Grit wrote:
cm97 wrote:
gregwil wrote:

+1 and if vettel was the quicker man.. He had plenty of time to get around him.. No excuses.
As you said Dan capitalised.

Vettel was unable to slipstream Ricciardo because Dan was using DRS against Perez. Pretty hard to slipstream someone who is using DRS, even if you are quicker. That's a pretty legit excuse.

As you say, Dan capitalised on the opportunity and deserves the plaudits (would still say Button was DOTD) but Vettel has every right to feel aggrieved, because that race should have been his and he lost it through the pits rather than on the track.