Vettel v Ricciardo 2014 watch

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
pavilion103

Vettel v Ricciardo 2014 watch

Post by pavilion103 »

A surprising start to the season with Ricciardo not only performing brilliantly in the new car but also outperforming his 4 x WDC teammate Vettel.

Obviously it is only 4 races in and it would be foolish to make any rash judgement, however it will be interesting to see how this progresses over the remainder of the season.

I wonder how far into the season we can get a real gauge of the drivers relative to one another and I wonder what exactly Ricciardo needs to do before we can really talk about him being as good as Vettel or better (a very very long way off).

For me, this has been the biggest surprise of the year and probably the thing that I look most forward to each race weekend.

lamo

Re: Vettel v Ricciardo 2014 watch

Post by lamo »

We will be over a quarter of the way through the year after tomorrow so its not too early to start making judgements now. If this goes on for another 2-3 races (half season) and Ric can do it when both have trouble free weekends then its clear he is at the same or a higher table than Seb.

Peter77

Post by Peter77 »

pavilion103 wrote:A surprising start to the season with Ricciardo not only performing brilliantly in the new car but also outperforming his 4 x WDC teammate Vettel.

Obviously it is only 4 races in and it would be foolish to make any rash judgement, however it will be interesting to see how this progresses over the remainder of the season.

I wonder how far into the season we can get a real gauge of the drivers relative to one another and I wonder what exactly Ricciardo needs to do before we can really talk about him being as good as Vettel or better (a very very long way off).

For me, this has been the biggest surprise of the year and probably the thing that I look most forward to each race weekend.
It is definately surprising to people who think Vettel was the fastest driver on the grid the past 4 years and it wasn't all the car. For me I was totally surprised how people were comparing him to Schumacher and Senna and the other greats. Ricciardo does not need to do nothing to prove he is faster as you so eloquently put it. In the young drivers test in 2010 he drove Vettel's exact car and was alot quicker than Vettel. Riciardo was faster way back in 2010 and he is faster now in 2014. Vettel is fast sure. But he is definately no Alonso, Hamilton, Rosberg or even Ricciardo.
"Talented drivers adapt, the mediocre ones complain."

Juzzy82

Post by Juzzy82 »

The problem is that people think Vettel is slow rather than Ricciardo being very quick.

Don't forget that Ricciardo had the biggest average qualifying gap for any team mate to Vergne last year - a guy that many said would be the next big thing. Ricciardo is very very fast, but also Vettel is struggling a bit with the new regulations.

I have no doubt that Ricciardo would give anyone on the grid a run for their money over one lap in equal machinery.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Juzzy82 wrote:The problem is that people think Vettel is slow rather than Ricciardo being very quick.

Don't forget that Ricciardo had the biggest average qualifying gap for any team mate to Vergne last year - a guy that many said would be the next big thing. Ricciardo is very very fast, but also Vettel is struggling a bit with the new regulations.

I have no doubt that Ricciardo would give anyone on the grid a run for their money over one lap in equal machinery.
This is true. Unfortunately a lot of people here wanted to believe that Red Bull chose Daniel because he wouldn't be a challenge to Vettel instead of the fact that they believed he would be a challenge and it's in their best interest to promote quality from within.
{Insert clever sig line here}

hydra

Post by hydra »

I agree Ricciardo was a good signing for Red Bull and he has always performed decently at Torro Rosso. As much as I like Seb, he needs a good team mate to push him that extra bit and every driver needs to prove he still has it every season. Vettel may need time to get to grips with the new car but that's going to cost him, quarter of the season gone and he still hasn't got the hang of it along with car failures.

I also agree Daniel could probably give any driver a run for their money in the equal car and I believe Daniel will outqualify Vettel over the season although Vettel might finish the season with more points.

silkjet

Post by silkjet »

Biggest surprise of the year for me too. Welcome too. Ricciardo's smiling face and great performance softens my hardened-heart attitude towards Red Bull.

Vettel is not down for the count and Ricciardo has not delivered a knockout punch- but early rounds show a wobbly and dazed Vettel.

DuckMcF

Post by DuckMcF »

Hi Gang,
I'm no Vettel fan, and this may be a bit tangential, but I'm starting to wonder if he's still even interested in F1 let alone wanting to be a driver at the pointy end of the field.

If you look at it from Vettel's point of view, he's seen a great of the sport that I'm guessing he grew up idolising end up in coma, possibly for the rest of his life, from a mundane skiing accident.

Meanwhile his girlfriend has had a baby girl and so perhaps he's starting to think that risking his life by driving around in circles faster than anyone else is no longer for him.

Now add into the mix that his RBR this year just can't match the Merc's for power and he has a new team mate that is apparently very competent and burns with a desire to win; is it any wonder that he has a bad case of the C.B.F's.

...and now to slip into tinfoil hat territory.... Perhaps everything I've typed above is utter rubbish. Perhaps Vettel has already signed for Merc when his RBR contact is up and so now RBR is 'Webberising' his season as payback...... </Tinfoil>

Cheers
DuckMcF aka Noel

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

DuckMcF wrote:Hi Gang,
I'm no Vettel fan, and this may be a bit tangential, but I'm starting to wonder if he's still even interested in F1 let alone wanting to be a driver at the pointy end of the field.

If you look at it from Vettel's point of view, he's seen a great of the sport that I'm guessing he grew up idolising end up in coma, possibly for the rest of his life, from a mundane skiing accident.

Meanwhile his girlfriend has had a baby girl and so perhaps he's starting to think that risking his life by driving around in circles faster than anyone else is no longer for him.

Now add into the mix that his RBR this year just can't match the Merc's for power and he has a new team mate that is apparently very competent and burns with a desire to win; is it any wonder that he has a bad case of the C.B.F's.

...and now to slip into tinfoil hat territory.... Perhaps everything I've typed above is utter rubbish. Perhaps Vettel has already signed for Merc when his RBR contact is up and so now RBR is 'Webberising' his season as payback...... </Tinfoil>

Cheers
DuckMcF aka Noel
F1 is hardly dangerous, when was the last time a driver got badly hurt in a F1 car.

If it was just a case of him losing interest because he can no longer win then he would just be another Mika Hakkinen.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 95 (1st)
Pole Positions: 98 (1st)
Podiums: 165 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

wolfie81

Post by wolfie81 »

I argue his determination is just as much as previous years or even stronger. He knows there are many critics out there questioning his 4 titles. This is the time to really prove himself and out to bed those who argue those 4 titles are fake titles. Not only that, he is being challenged from within the team and he obviously does not like it so I think the determination to prove everyone wrong is there. He just has had a unlucky run (about time too!). I just kinda wish..... he didn't break down in qualy yesterday because I am pretty certain RIC would have trumped him and that would have been another punch to Vettel!

stranger

Post by stranger »

I expect no excuses from Vettel or his followers.

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

No reason to think Sebastian has lost interest in racing. It's the ultimate Kimi Raikkonen excuse, really. A driver starts to beat him and it's not because the other driver is doing better than him, it's because the losing driver has "lost interest".

Vettel has everything to prove this year, perhaps more than in previous years. As you say he's seen as a great of the sport now, but that will be questioned if he can't beat a team-mate many people here said wouldn't get within arms distance of him all season. What was that topic we had here before Melbourne, "How many times will Ricciardo out-qualify Vettel", was it? Pretty sure 90%+ of the votes predicted an absolute landslide, with a lot of people saying it would be 19-0 at the end of the season.

If Sebastian can't beat Daniel then he's obviously let a lot of people down.

smoothcrim

Post by smoothcrim »

Ricciardo is just so smooth behind the wheel, and he is extremely fast.Have a look at his onboards at how smooth and precise he is.He is the greatest talent to come through the ranks since Hamilton.

Vettel needs more rear downforce to make his setups and driving style work.

macca84

Post by macca84 »

pokerman wrote:

Cheers
DuckMcF aka Noel
F1 is hardly dangerous, when was the last time a driver got badly hurt in a F1 car.

If it was just a case of him losing interest because he can no longer win then he would just be another Mika Hakkinen.
Pretty sure Massa would count as being badly hurt in 2009.

stranger

Post by stranger »

Cheers
DuckMcF aka Noel
To even suggest that Vettel is going slower as a result of not wanting to risk his life, but in the last 4 seasons he was willing to risk his life, is absolutely laughable. Lamest excuse ever.

But that's a typical excuse (as stated by Toby above) from many when they see their favourite driver completely outpaced, and demoralised, because it makes you feel that bit better by thinking "Oh he's just lost interest". LOL. You wish that's what it was.

Also if he was just taking it easy on the track and not wanting to risk anything, and has lost interest as you imply, why was he fighting to the bitter death to keep Daniel behind him, even yelping "Tough luck!" when being asked to move aside for his much faster teammate.

No excuses. He's simply been soundly beaten. He better hope he can redeem himself with a solid drive at Spain, like a real champion would.

hotbmw

Post by hotbmw »

Ricciardo is the real deal. Great kid all round. I'm very happy for him!

DuckMcF

Post by DuckMcF »

stranger wrote:

Cheers
DuckMcF aka Noel
To even suggest that Vettel is going slower as a result of not wanting to risk his life, but in the last 4 seasons he was willing to risk his life, is absolutely laughable. Lamest excuse ever.

But that's a typical excuse (as stated by Toby above) from many when they see their favourite driver completely outpaced, and demoralised, because it makes you feel that bit better by thinking "Oh he's just lost interest". LOL. You wish that's what it was.

Also if he was just taking it easy on the track and not wanting to risk anything, and has lost interest as you imply, why was he fighting to the bitter death to keep Daniel behind him, even yelping "Tough luck!" when being asked to move aside for his much faster teammate.

No excuses. He's simply been soundly beaten. He better hope he can redeem himself with a solid drive at Spain, like a real champion would.
Perhaps I was unclear. I am not a fan of Vettel and am very happy to see DanRic eat his lunch. I was simply posing the question that in the light of Vettel seeing a legend in a coma and the birth of his new baby girl, both of which happened AFTER his 4x WDC wins, and now having an underpowered RBR and a component team mate up his exhaust pipe, perhaps has he's lost what ever mojo he used to had.

Clearly it seems that most here think that Dan is simply better/faster, while I think that there could be more to it. I guess we'll see as the season unfolds.......

Cheers
Noel aka DuckMcF - An Aussie, not a Vettel fan-boy......

stranger

Post by stranger »

DuckMcF wrote:
stranger wrote:

Cheers
DuckMcF aka Noel

Perhaps I was unclear. I am not a fan of Vettel and am very happy to see DanRic eat his lunch. I was simply posing the question that in the light of Vettel seeing a legend in a coma and the birth of his new baby girl, both of which happened AFTER his 4x WDC wins, and now having an underpowered RBR and a component team mate up his exhaust pipe, perhaps has he's lost what ever mojo he used to had.

Clearly it seems that most here think that Dan is simply better/faster, while I think that there could be more to it. I guess we'll see as the season unfolds.......

Cheers
Noel aka DuckMcF - An Aussie, not a Vettel fan-boy......
Ok, understood, and whilst I think Daniel is doing a brilliant job, more than anyone would predict, I also think there is more to it. He may have some distractions but I think he still has the passion.

I'm an Aussie (Melb) boy too.

babararacucudada

Post by babararacucudada »

The Red Bull has been the second best car on the grid so far this year and maybe is the best chassis.

I'm pleased that Ricciardo has proved himself to be a quick driver and shown what the car can do.

For me, Vettel doesn't just have to prove himself against Ricciardo, but even more than that, he has to confirm his part in winning 4 World Championships.

As Alonso said
"When one day he has a car like the others and he is fourth, fifth, seventh, these four titles will be bad news for him because people will take these four titles even in a worse manner than they are doing now."

Currently Vettel has a better car than all but 3 of the drivers on the grid, so he should finish 3rd in the championship this year.

DuckMcF

Post by DuckMcF »

stranger wrote:Ok, understood, and whilst I think Daniel is doing a brilliant job, more than anyone would predict, I also think there is more to it. He may have some distractions but I think he still has the passion.

I'm an Aussie (Melb) boy too.
Cool, I think we're in agreement. Something's going on, and your probably right that he still wants to win bad. I guess those that have that win at all costs killer instint can't turn it off like a switch.

Cheers
Noel aka DuckMcF - As a long suffering Richmond supporter I'll never know what it's like to have that win-at-all costs killer instinct ;-)

lamo

Post by lamo »

Seb is 150/1 to win today, how times change.

smoothcrim

Post by smoothcrim »

Great driving by both guys, Vettel was really flying on a 3 stopper.

SehnKhan

Post by SehnKhan »

Great drive from Vettel today.

He had it all to play for and drove like he wanted every single position on offer. On the flip side, Ricciardo knew right from the start that third was realistically top position for the RBR today and drove the race accordingly - no point thrashing his machine with nothing more to gain ahead. Vettel had plenty to gain - and he finished further into the points than I thought he would today. Was a top drive.
Williams Martini Racing

Supporter of Valtteri Bottas & Felipe Massa - Williams Martini Racing
Also Daniel Ricciardo [Red Bull Racing] & Mark Webber [Porsche WEC Team LMP1]

babararacucudada

Post by babararacucudada »

Good result for Vettel.
Most votes had him getting into the top 10, not many expecting the top 4, so he exceeded most expectations.

Couldn't have asked or expected more from him.

jezf1

Post by jezf1 »

I must admit, reading the landslide of poorly formed opinion that Daniel was picked simply to be a number two driver before the season started made me cringe. Ricciardo has only ever been on the up and if theyd paid attention of his results pre f1 and ever since he joined the ranks (without a tainted fanboy eye) they would have seen this coming.

Early doors still, To suggest Vettel has lost passion is also a little silly. His demeanour shows anything but, maybe a wounded dog would be a better comparison, and they are always dangerous.

Ricciardo is fast, vettel isn't matching the pace so far, not because he has lost passion, or any of the other myriad of excuses, ricciardo is just plane quick. Outside of mechanic failures Dans more often than not had his measure.

To me the story is ricciardo has proved to be bloody quick, and the rest of the season is about whether Vettel rises to it, or Ricciardo keeps it up and/or goes even quicker, it's pretty simple! I'm looking forward to seeing sebs car stay together and them both having some ding dong battles on track!

jezf1

Post by jezf1 »

Ps good drive from Vettel, but Dan also got everything there was to get out of the Redbull today also. So no real conclusions to be drawn or parallels out of today's race, other than Seb is still hungry and Dans still quick.

Dan's_the_man

Post by Dan's_the_man »

This graph shows how strong Dan's first and second stint was (especially the 2nd). Vettel only really drove faster on fresh tyres when Dan was getting towards the end of his stints

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... 919&graf=3

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

I'd not be surprised if Ricciardo was looking after the car after he got past Bottas on lap 20. He wasn't going to gain anything by pushing at that point.

Roll on Monaco.

Prema

Post by Prema »

Dan's_the_man wrote:This graph shows how strong Dan's first and second stint was (especially the 2nd). Vettel only really drove faster on fresh tyres when Dan was getting towards the end of his stints

Wouldn't the starting positions make some difference too? Vettel starting from the 15th and having to fighting the way up through the field as compared to Dan not having such issues..

JerCotter7

Post by JerCotter7 »

Prema wrote:
Dan's_the_man wrote:This graph shows how strong Dan's first and second stint was (especially the 2nd). Vettel only really drove faster on fresh tyres when Dan was getting towards the end of his stints

Wouldn't the starting positions make some difference too? Vettel starting from the 15th and having to fighting the way up through the field as compared to Dan not having such issues..
Yeah their times are really only comparable when they are both in clean air. And Vettel seemed quicker in clean air today.

Dan's_the_man

Post by Dan's_the_man »

Prema wrote:

Yes they would, fair enough. But Dan was stuck behind Bottas in the first stint as well.

I guess these graphs are only useful if the cars are running in clean air on the same strategy, which is rare!

@JerCotter7, but Vettel was on 3 stop strategy and was pushing whilst Dan was conserving.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Dan's_the_man wrote:
Prema wrote:

Yes they would, fair enough. But Dan was stuck behind Bottas in the first stint as well.

I guess these graphs are only useful if the cars are running in clean air on the same strategy, which is rare!
Yea and with being on a three stop Vettel was on fresher tires through the whole race. I think if they had been near each other on track with similar strategies it would've been a close thing between the RBR boys today.
{Insert clever sig line here}

silkjet

Post by silkjet »

Prema wrote:

Vettel did very well today. His usual no mistakes manner, and aggressive passes. Had he qualified better he may have beaten Ricciardo today. I may have to stop teasing him.

speedysoprano

Post by speedysoprano »

JerCotter7 wrote:
Prema wrote:

Yeah their times are really only comparable when they are both in clean air. And Vettel seemed quicker in clean air today.
Yes, agreed, but Vettel NEEDED to be quicker in clean air. Ricciardo was driving his own race, and I think he did a beautiful job. No need to do any more than he did.
1)Team Daniel.
2)Team Lewis.

Reluctant Red Bull Fan - they just keep hiring Aussies.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

smoothcrim wrote:Ricciardo is just so smooth behind the wheel, and he is extremely fast.Have a look at his onboards at how smooth and precise he is.He is the greatest talent to come through the ranks since Hamilton.

Vettel needs more rear downforce to make his setups and driving style work.
Yes indeed and when you consider that the Red Bull probably still has the best downforce then how would Vettel fare in some of the other teams, food for thought?
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

macca84 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Cheers
DuckMcF aka Noel

Pretty sure Massa would count as being badly hurt in 2009.
Yes i forgot about that, but then again i would consider that to be somewhat of a freak accident similar to say Schumacher's skiing accident with the injury in fact being worse. Nothing can be 100% safe unless you are playing something like chess i suppose, F1 is incredibly safe nowadays.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

babararacucudada wrote:Good result for Vettel.
Most votes had him getting into the top 10, not many expecting the top 4, so he exceeded most expectations.

Couldn't have asked or expected more from him.
No he did the maximum that was possible
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

RaggedMan wrote:
Dan's_the_man wrote:
Prema wrote:

Yea and with being on a three stop Vettel was on fresher tires through the whole race. I think if they had been near each other on track with similar strategies it would've been a close thing between the RBR boys today.
I think that is very hard to determine because after Ricciardo was past Bottas there was little need for him to push
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Grizzly B

Post by Grizzly B »

Over the last five races Ricciardo has for whatever reason done a better job.

Does five races make Vettel a bad driver? I don't think so. I'm no Vettel fan but people have a seriously short memory in F1. This guy won 9 races in a row, something no-one has ever done even the greats like Senna, Schumacher, Prost, Fangio... none of them managed this. You don't break records and win championships the way Vettel has by being an average driver in a super car, if that was the case he and Webber would probably have had 2 titles each. Vettel is a very very quick driver, Ricciardo is also a very very quick driver who also happens to have one key ingredient this season and that is confidence something which Vettel is lacking. Also I'd like to point out that although Vettel is apparently somehow being destroyed but his team-mate he has still scored more points than him this year.

Prema

Post by Prema »

Grizzly B wrote:Over the last five races Ricciardo has for whatever reason done a better job.

Does five races make Vettel a bad driver? I don't think so. I'm no Vettel fan but people have a seriously short memory in F1. This guy won 9 races in a row, something no-one has ever done even the greats like Senna, Schumacher, Prost, Fangio... none of them managed this. You don't break records and win championships the way Vettel has by being an average driver in a super car, if that was the case he and Webber would probably have had 2 titles each. Vettel is a very very quick driver, Ricciardo is also a very very quick driver who also happens to have one key ingredient this season and that is confidence something which Vettel is lacking. Also I'd like to point out that although Vettel is apparently somehow being destroyed but his team-mate he has still scored more points than him this year.
Well, of those 5 races, Australia was not a race at all. Malaysia was 2nd in the qualis and the 3rd in the race (the best possible result for a "rest" car). And Spain, starting from 15th (gearbox + penalty) making to the 4th. And currently, just 4 points behind Alonso on 3rd in WDC. So, essentially, it is two remaing races that one might pick up and put forward a hypothetical question "Do two races make Vettel a bad driver?"

Ricciardo is establishing himself as an excellent driver and obviously he has had hardly any issues with the level of his performance, while Vettel has been having issues but is working on resolving those. So how it will turn out, we will see, the day is still young. But I don't think that any one will be destroyed by another.