Silly Season 2015 Uberthread [MERGED]

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
AngusWolfe

Silly Season 2015 Uberthread [MERGED]

Post by AngusWolfe »

With talk of it in the Spanish GP practice & qualifying thread saying it will occupy our time during the summer break, Reddit's r/formula1 seemed to have started even earlier this year. Claiming Fernando Alonso will sign for Mercedes in the next few days, Partnering Lewis Hamilton for the 2015 season.

http://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/251h4v/rumor_alonso_will_sign_in_few_days_with_mercedes/

The source seems to be a twitter post from someone who first reported Eric Boullier leaving Lotus a few months ago. While I doubt the validity of the claim (in fact, I think it's horsepoo), and I can't see why Mercedes would want to get rid of Nico Rosberg, it would certainly cause shockwaves in the F1 circus.

Feel free to discuss this and any other Silly Season rumours you guys have discovered already.
Last edited by AngusWolfe on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IV

Ev0lutionz

Re: Silly Season 2015 (already?)

Post by Ev0lutionz »

Monsieur_F1 ( Mr.F1) ‏@MonsieurF1 2h
@markdavidwaites Source: really close to @alo_oficial For @nico_rosberg ? NO idea where he will go, for the moment

Ev0lutionz

Post by Ev0lutionz »

Monsieur_F1 ( Mr.F1) ‏@MonsieurF1 2h
EXCLUSIVE: @alo_oficial will signed a contract with @MercedesAMGF1 in a few days. Same duo as 2007 with @McLarenF1 ( @LewisHamilton ) #F1

WOW.............. Lewis and Alonso part 2, gonna watch 2015 then haha.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

That's some pairing in a WOW car.

Let the silly season begin already!
Feel The Fourth

Lentulus

Post by Lentulus »

While @MonsieurF1 may turn out to have a good source this time, I will hold off from believing it just yet as all his other "good sources close to" whoever in pre-season turned out to be hopelessly wrong.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

If Alonso to Mercedes rumours do come out to be true, how obvious would it be for Ferrari to finally sign Hulk?

Imagine a Hulk & Raikkonen pairing!
Feel The Fourth

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

If that rumour is right, 2015 will be a very busy year for us mods.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

If you report enough things that have a 'close source' you'll get it right eventually. They got it right with Boullier, they got it wrong with just about everything else.

I'd take this with a very large pinch of salt at the moment. Alonso has a contract with Ferrari for 2015, a contract that Ferrari will likely try and make Alonso uphold if he's trying to go to Mercedes, pretty much their biggest rival now. This kind of thing wouldn't be sorted out in a few days, it'd take months just like it did to get Alonso to Ferrari in the first place. I also don't think Hamilton would be best pleased, no matter how well he gets on with him now, that Alonso would come into what he probably considers his team these days. While there was more to their rivalry at McLaren than just them I still don't think either would be too keen to partner the other again. Not really.

Id be more likely to believe a straight Alonso/Vettel swap tbh.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

P-F1 Mod wrote:If that rumour is right, 2015 will be a very busy year for us mods.

:lol:

M.Nader -DODZ-

Post by M.Nader -DODZ- »

This really makes no sense from a team's perspective

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Actually, I could see this happening.

Mercedes have a great car currently but they won't have such a big advantage over the others indefinitely. Although I don't think they will be caught this year I'm sure others will copy their engine layout next year and the gap will close. It's still early days yet but Rosberg hasn't particularly impressed me with his racecraft yet and definitely looks weaker than Hamilton. He is very good on one lap pace but I think the car has flattered him this year during the race. Alonso would definitely be a trade up IMO and together with Lewis would form a super team which would be hard to imagine anyone beating. If the car is even remotely competitive - and with the rules next year being evolution rather than revolution I don't see why they wouldn't be at the front - it would be hard to bet against them for the WCC.

The circumstances would be very different to 2007. I think Alonso was caught by surprise by Lewis' competitiveness and couldn't handle the thought of being challenged by a rookie. That no longer applies and they would both be going into it with eyes open. Yes there will be sparks from time to time but I think it would be manageable. For fans of the sport it would be exciting to see two giants of the sport fighting in a front-running team and for Mercedes it would be a good move IMO. In all honesty I don't see too many downsides

Colo134

Post by Colo134 »

Laura23 wrote:If you report enough things that have a 'close source' you'll get it right eventually. They got it right with Boullier, they got it wrong with just about everything else.

I'd take this with a very large pinch of salt at the moment. Alonso has a contract with Ferrari for 2015, a contract that Ferrari will likely try and make Alonso uphold if he's trying to go to Mercedes,

we dont know the terms of his contract. they may well have changed with Stefano leaving.

mds

Post by mds »

Colo134 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:If you report enough things that have a 'close source' you'll get it right eventually. They got it right with Boullier, they got it wrong with just about everything else.

I'd take this with a very large pinch of salt at the moment. Alonso has a contract with Ferrari for 2015, a contract that Ferrari will likely try and make Alonso uphold if he's trying to go to Mercedes,

we dont know the terms of his contract. they may well have changed with Stefano leaving.

Even then, there's no sense in trying to make an employee stay that wants to leave. If Alonso decides to go, he goes. Period.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

I could see both Alonso and Vettel chasing a Mec contract; but I cant see Merc signing anything with another driver when Rosberg could quite easily end the year as WDC.

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

Yeah, sounds more than a little far-fetched. If you think it through though – Alonso isn’t getting any younger. If he cares more about more victories than money, and proposes similar or less money than what they pay Rosberg….Mercedes could be tempted – it’s would certainly help satisfy the ‘Show’ requirements they seem so keen for!

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

shoot999 wrote:I could see both Alonso and Vettel chasing a Mec contract; but I cant see Merc signing anything with another driver when Rosberg could quite easily end the year as WDC.

Despite what I said, couldn't agree more with this...Rosberg is a very good driver. Mercedes would have to tread carefully!

PeaWonHam

Post by PeaWonHam »

Alonso to Mercedes
Vettel to Ferrari
Hulk to RBR
Rosberg to McLaren
JB to retire

End of.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

I'd take this with a very large pinch of salt at the moment. Alonso has a contract with Ferrari for 2015, a contract that Ferrari will likely try and make Alonso uphold if he's trying to go to Mercedes, pretty much their biggest rival now. This kind of thing wouldn't be sorted out in a few days, it'd take months just like it did to get Alonso to Ferrari in the first place. I also don't think Hamilton would be best pleased, no matter how well he gets on with him now, that Alonso would come into what he probably considers his team these days. While there was more to their rivalry at McLaren than just them I still don't think either would be too keen to partner the other again. Not really.

Playing devils advocate - is it possible Alonso has a performance clause get out in his contract?

If it as to happen then I predict:

Vettel making the move to Ferrari

Kvyat joins Ricciardo at Red Bull

Rosberg replaces Button at Mclaren

Button moves to Williams in place of Massa

That would be a bit of a shake up!

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

The only party this seems to make sense for is Alonso. So I can't see it happening.

However, and I believe I said this about Alonso/Raikkonen, I hope I'm wrong.

AFCTUJacko

Post by AFCTUJacko »

Mercedes have absolutely nothing to gain by pairing Alonso & Lewis.
Leave me alone.....I know what I'm doing

lamo

Post by lamo »

AFCTUJacko wrote:Mercedes have absolutely nothing to gain by pairing Alonso & Lewis.

They have a lot to gain... if by seasons end Alonso is close to challenging Mercedes in his Ferrari but Kimi is still 0.3 seconds back from what Alonso is doing and no where near challenging Mercedes. Ferrari are immediately weaker and Mercedes immediately stronger.

The same way as if Ferrari had signed Vettel in 2012/13 they would have won the WDC both years by removing the other teams main asset.

AFCTUJacko

Post by AFCTUJacko »

lamo wrote:
AFCTUJacko wrote:Mercedes have absolutely nothing to gain by pairing Alonso & Lewis.

They have a lot to gain... if by seasons end Alonso is close to challenging Mercedes in his Ferrari but Kimi is still 0.3 seconds back from what Alonso is doing and no where near challenging Mercedes. Ferrari are immediately weaker and Mercedes immediately stronger.

The same way as if Ferrari had signed Vettel in 2012/13 they would have won the WDC both years by removing the other teams main asset.

Mercedes have a mega star driver who will probably win the WDC this season and a very able 2nd driver. They will win both championships in 2014.

Alonso is not worth the tens of millions he would cost them, and that isn't even considering the potential disharmony in the team.

Yes, it would weaken Ferrari, but Ferrari seem to be doing a decent enough job of being weak on their own even with Alonso in the team.

You are massively oversimplifying this. Even if Ferrari had Vettel in 2012/13, Red Bull would probably have won the championship. Because A/ Red Bull would have replaced him with someone just as quick and B/ Would still have had a superior car to the Ferrari.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

AFCTUJacko wrote:
lamo wrote:

Mercedes have a mega star driver who will probably win the WDC this season and a very able 2nd driver. They will win both championships in 2014.

Alonso is not worth the tens of millions he would cost them, and that isn't even considering the potential disharmony in the team.

Yes, it would weaken Ferrari, but Ferrari seem to be doing a decent enough job of being weak on their own even with Alonso in the team.

You are massively oversimplifying this. Even if Ferrari had Vettel in 2012/13, Red Bull would probably have won the championship. Because A/ Red Bull would have replaced him with someone just as quick and B/ Would still have had a superior car to the Ferrari.

But weakening the competition is something Merc would gain my hiring Alonso?

lamo

Post by lamo »

AFCTUJacko wrote:
lamo wrote:

Yes provided they found someone faster than Webber. If they didn't Alonso probably would have taken it. Jury is still out if Vettel is a special driver or if Webber was past it.

Having the two best drivers is a massive advantage, look at the 1989 season. Mclaren might not even have been the best car that year but completely dominated. Ferrari signed one of there star drivers and took the title fight right to the end.

Mclaren in 2006 was no where near as quick as the Ferrari, neither was it in 2007 but they signed two great drivers and Ferrari lost their great driver.

The only reason 2007 was not good for Mclaren is they had 2 good drivers taking points off one another fighting drivers in a better car. If those cars were equal, 2007 would be the same as 2014 results wise with 1-2s every week.

AFCTUJacko

Post by AFCTUJacko »

mikeyg123 wrote:
AFCTUJacko wrote:
lamo wrote:

But weakening the competition is something Merc would gain my hiring Alonso?

Well..... any team taking Alonso away from Ferrari would weaken Ferrari.

But in the cost benefit analysis the cost of hiring him far outweigh the benefits IMO....when Merc already possess a driver paring strong enough to win both championships.

It's exactly the same reason Red Bull never replaced Webber. They got all they needed from Vettel/Webber for a very reasonable price. As do Merc with Nico & Lewis.

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

"Sources" used to mean something, now it's often used in lieu of any real evidence to concoct a story.

I think Alonso would be free to leave due to performance clauses, but I would be very surprised if Mercedes break up a team combination that is working perfectly at the moment.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

justmoi

Post by justmoi »

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this (can't remember now), but let's not forget the key part that nationality can play in this. That Mercedes would get rid of a youngish German driver who does very well, works hard, lacks controversy, enables very good team balance and is a very good racer (though not the absolute best) capable of blitzing the field in qualifying and getting race wins, and let's face it, hardly costs the team points by driving near enough to the cars potential (this and previous seasons), much better than Webber's record in that regard. Such a notion just sounds absurd. I mean, Nico is quite capable of actually winning the title this year, whatever has happened thus far this season..

It's like Honda getting rid of a Japanese driver who's actually performing very well and is a very good racer, or McLaren getting rid (willingly, lol) of a Brit whose doing very well.

I wouldn't expect any shenanigans between Alonso and Lewis if they paired up again if for nothing else but they are both more mature men now, but do Mercedes really need this?

I remain highly sceptical about this one. Very much highly sceptical.

paulsf1fix

Post by paulsf1fix »

A good rumour! that's all it might be, I can't really see Mercedes getting rid of Nico Rosberg they have no real reason to, imagine they sign Mr Alonso and then Rosberg wins the title, he could take number one to Ferrari! I think we could say with this, watch this space. Then again imagine Seb going to Ferrari and he takes Adrian with him..... :lol:

justmoi

Post by justmoi »

And just to add lean burning petrol to F1 fire, Nico's contract is apparently ending this year. Can anyone confirm this please?

TheDamus

Post by TheDamus »

justmoi wrote:I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this (can't remember now), but let's not forget the key part that nationality can play in this. That Mercedes would get rid of a youngish German driver who does very well, works hard, lacks controversy, enables very good team balance and is a very good racer (though not the absolute best) capable of blitzing the field in qualifying and getting race wins, and let's face it, hardly costs the team points by driving near enough to the cars potential (this and previous seasons), much better than Webber's record in that regard. Such a notion just sounds absurd. I mean, Nico is quite capable of actually winning the title this year, whatever has happened thus far this season..

It's like Honda getting rid of a Japanese driver who's actually performing very well and is a very good racer, or McLaren getting rid (willingly, lol) of a Brit whose doing very well.

This sums it up nicely
Proudly supporting Force India first, Lewis Hamilton second.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

I don't think sentiment plays that big a part in F1. If the choice is between two equal drivers then nationality may be a factor but if there is a chance to get the best driver on board at the expense of a national then the drivers' passports won't make a difference.

I agree that the season's still young and there's still plenty of time for Nico to mount a successful campaign. If he does then there would be no reason for Mercedes to change him. But if he continues to allow the Red Bulls to challenge him now, when he has an overwhelming car advantage, then I think it's possible the team might consider Alonso if that carrot was dangled in front of them, especially if they believe that they will not enjoy the same kind of dominance in years to come.

imbrugliaboy

Post by imbrugliaboy »

I can't see any merit in teaming Alonso with Hamilton.
They already have 2 top tier drivers who have hoovered up every available point this season.
If they were to replace Rosberg it would surely be with the long term in mind, which isn't Alonso.
Is not happy today!

Billy

Post by Billy »

Alonso and Lewis, the star-crossed love-birds of F1, together one more time.

Bring. It. On.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

egnat69

Post by egnat69 »

personally i wouldn't sign alonso these days... he hasn't had a properly performing team-mate for ages and he is getting older... no matter what - he will be on a downward spiral eventually... if you already have a WDC and someone who at least pushes him a bit, why trade for someone of that age? ...

it would make a hell lot more sense for mclaren to get him, but there is uncertainty about that package next year on alonsos part...
How to fix F1:
1. Stop seeking consensuses on rules - it will always turn out to be the least favourible option for everyone involved...
2. Listen to the fans - there are plenty of them and they have good ideas...

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

P-F1 Mod wrote:If that rumour is right, 2015 will be a very busy year for us mods.
You've just made me almost want it to be true! :D
Luckily Rosberg pointed out that Mercedes already have a main sponsor, but what if Santander's contract with Ferrari is up for renewal? I have no idea when that is supposed to happen.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Luckily for you odds are it will only last for one year!

Silly season 2016: Alonso to Ferrari!

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

egnat69 wrote:personally i wouldn't sign alonso these days... he hasn't had a properly performing team-mate for ages and he is getting older...
Perhaps someone could point out to him that it is counterproductive to run your teammate off the track, every time he threatens to make a better getaway than he.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

justmoi

Post by justmoi »

@Zoue ^ I hardly think it's merely sentiment to retain Nico. Nationality plays a part in any sport and f1 also. National pride, corporate image, branding, sponsorship, building massive home support, etc it's all a part of the regime here. Mercedes is a massive and proud German company. It's been no secret Mercedes wanted Vettel long term, even before he was a multiple WDC but had shown talent. This was before they were even competitive. And they went all out and lured Schumacher (and to a lesser extent Nico).

AND Nico is more than capable. I'm sure in a straight pick with no other considerations most teams would probably go for Alonso. But at the moment there's simply no need for them to get rid of their very good German driver who is also delivering. So all things being as they are, Nico's nationality (amongst other things of course) might actually hold sway.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

When was the last time when driver went to team that just won title and won title the next season or later?

Since Jacques Villeneuve no one did that.

Recently the best way to win the title is to go to midfield team. Honda/Brawn, Red Bull, Mercedes. If he goes to Mercedes it will prove once again that he doesn't like to take a risk. Wasn't he offered Red Bull seat in 2007?? He always misses it. Lewis has great chance to win a title this year because he took a risk and went to Mercedes when they weren't on top.

I'm not fan of Steve Jobs, but there is right something in this quote:

Skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been
eeee

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

justmoi wrote:@Zoue ^ I hardly think it's sentiment to retain Nico. Nationality plays a part in any sport and f1 also. National pride, corporate image, branding, sponsorship, building massive home support, etc it's all a part of the regime here. Mercedes is a massive and proud German company. It's been no secret Mercedes wanted Vettel long term, even before he was a multiple WDC but had shown talent. This was before they were even competitive. And they went all out and lured Schumacher (and to a lesser extent Nico).

AND Nico is more than capable. I'm sure in a straight pick with no other considerations most teams would probably go for Alonso. But at the moment there's simply no need for them to get rid of their very good German driver who is also delivering. So all things being as they are, Nico's nationality (amongst other things of course) might actually hold sway.

I agree with you up to a point. But my own view (and I have no evidence, it's just speculation) is that at that level talent counts for more than nationality. Ron Dennis didn't want Mansell, by all accounts, and he was the only halfway decent Englishman at the time. Instead he chose a Brazilian and a Frenchman.

I also agree that Nico is a capable driver. However, I've been a little disappointed with him so far this year and feel that he has been rescued from embarrassment by the fact that his car is much, much better than everyone else's. But I accept that it's still really early days and anything could happen. My hypothesis was based on the possibility that other teams start catching up and Nico starts to drop points. I don't think Nico's secure just because he's German.

I still think that if there are two top drivers of equal status available then nationality will likely play a part. It's undoubtedly one of the reasons why Mercedes brought Schumacher back into F1 and why they would also want Vettel if he's available. But if there is a driver who is clearly head and shoulders above the other - and I would class Alonso as head and shoulders above Nico - then nationality will take a back seat to driving talent. If Nico starts to challenge Lewis properly then I don't see any change within the team. However, if he doesn't (and Alonso makes himself available) then I don't think it would be too far fetched to imagine they might be tempted. Next year they might not still have a performance advantage and they would want the best drivers to be able to remain at the front. I wouldn't say it's probable but I definitely think it's possible