Nico Rosberg Not Happy about Aggression in Bahrain

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Baroche

Nico Rosberg Not Happy about Aggression in Bahrain

Post by Baroche »

Well we knew as much from the radio exchange, but Rosberg appears to want to talk it over with Hamilton and/or the team:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/27056797

Very mature of Rosberg but if i'm Hamilton 11 points behind, I wouldn't change my tactic at this point. Lewis should be highly aggressive with in the limits. I believe Ricciardo pulled the same move on someone else so it not as if the defensive move was so out there.
Last edited by Baroche on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pubpokerplayer

Re: Nico Rosberg Not Happy about Aggression in Bahrain

Post by pubpokerplayer »

It doesn't go well for him either. Show's he isn't up for a fight even within the confines of the law. He lost out in a battle so is trying to stop on track fighting.

Baroche

Post by Baroche »

pubpokerplayer wrote:It doesn't go well for him either. Show's he isn't up for a fight even within the confines of the law. He lost out in a battle so is trying to stop on track fighting.

The danger for Lewis is to change his mindset which right now is determined and very aggressive. Could take him off his game.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Come on. His actions were worse in 2011 not once with button. But twice with Alonso. And nearly a 3rd time with Hamilton.

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

What Lewis did was nothing wrong but as team mates they have to give each other more room.

End of the story is Nico will have to be aggressive in his driving or not. If roles were reversed I think Nico would do the same.

Chunky

Post by Chunky »

Teddy007 wrote:What Lewis did was nothing wrong but as team mates they have to give each other more room.

End of the story is Nico will have to be aggressive in his driving or not. If roles were reversed I think Nico would do the same.

Somehow, I don't think he would. Not quite. It's the lack of that final 1% of aggression and ambition, just short of crossing the boundary into becoming a liability like Perez and Maldonado that might eventually consign Nico to being a nearly-man.

Hamilton is one of the very few drivers who can drive absolutely at the edge of the envelope without crossing over. Sometimes the same for Kimi, I think.

5ANDYm

Post by 5ANDYm »

may be its down to the fact that there as equals
People have short memory's these days and want spoon fed, Do your own research.

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

There were a few instances during the shootout of the last laps of the Bahrain GP when Hamilton had the inside line, and swung out to the track edge. It's hard but clean racing. But there was one instance that bothers Rosberg, where Hamilton moved quite quickly and aggressively, almost forcing a collision. Both drivers were under strict orders to bring both cars home, and Rosberg wishes to sit down with Hamilton and the team so they can define what's acceptable or not when team mates race each other.

Personally, I think this is a very responsible and mature action by Rosberg, to communicate and have everyone on the same page. This way, misunderstandings do not occur, and a nasty rivalry does not develop. Instead Rosberg desires that the team never suffers, but that the drivers can race each other.

I don't perceive this as Rosberg bucking and allowing himself to be relegated to just a support driver. He intends to take the fight to Hamilton, but he wants to make sure everyone involved know and understand what is expected of the drivers.

pubpokerplayer

Post by pubpokerplayer »

It's apparently the incident on lap 18 Rosberg wants to talk about not incidents after the safety car.

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

If he had hit Rosberg this would be a very different thread. Hamilton was very aggressive last race. As others have said it was within the rules but only just. He has made stupid mistakes before, and was inches away from making another.
IV

jrwb6e

Post by jrwb6e »

I think that hypocrite needs to recall how he drove against Hamilton at the same track two years ago before he cries about his teammate.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

jrwb6e wrote:I think that hypocrite needs to recall how he drove against Hamilton at the same track two years ago before he cries about his teammate.

Rules were different then and they weren't in the same team.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Willsy

Post by Willsy »

For some reason Nico seems to be happy to make the public aware of this, rather than simply do it behind closed doors. Not sure if theres much behind this but sometimes there is reasons for doing so, so not sure what support he is trying to gain by it?

Baroche

Post by Baroche »

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:Fernando says hi ;) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_sMZG0MLcc

After seeing what he did to Alonso, it is difficult to take Nico seriously about his grievances. No quarter should be given by Lewis even at the risk of crashing. I believe Nico is trying to get into Lewis's head while doing a very deliberate and public PR job to make him appear the "cleaner" more "respectful" driver. Masterstroke!

Qiwater

Post by Qiwater »

I guess the public displays , shouting over the team radio is one of Nico's tactics to get under Lewis's skin but after P2 on Sky Ted asked Lewis if he and Nico had spoken with the team about the race , Lewis did that strange look of his and said "no"
Ted asked the same of Nico who said" yes we had talk and the team spoke and everything is fine .

I think Nico is a bit of a fuss pot and Lewis is like I ain't got time man got a championship to win .

mds

Post by mds »

RaggedMan wrote:
jrwb6e wrote:I think that hypocrite needs to recall how he drove against Hamilton at the same track two years ago before he cries about his teammate.

The incident with Hamilton was in 2011, back then the rules were indeed different.
In 2012 we had the "always leave space" rule. So rules regarding this were the same and the above example with Alonso is relevant.

And whether or not they're team mates... Well, when a team is so much ahead as Merc is now, for the drivers the fact whether or not they're in the same team tends to fade. Title is between them, they know it, and they have to make each one count.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Qiwater

Post by Qiwater »

mds wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

The incident with Hamilton was in 2011, back then the rules were indeed different.
In 2012 we had the "always leave space" rule. So rules regarding this were the same and the above example with Alonso is relevant.

And whether or not they're team mates... Well, when a team is so much ahead as Merc is now, for the drivers the fact whether or not they're in the same team tends to fade. Title is between them, they know it, and they have to make each one count.[/quote

QIWATER says
Not sure why our posts have merged
No it was 2012

Here is Nico on Lewis on a straight !! In Bahrain 2012 and off the racing line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC05YfPIBVc

"Me thinks he doth protest too much "

mds

Post by mds »

Qiwater wrote:No it was 2012

Here is Nico on Lewis on a straight !! In Bahrain 2012 and off the racing line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC05YfPIBVc

"Me thinks he doth protest too much "

You're right, I thought that was 2011 but it was 2012 as well, same race. In that case, the incident with Hamilton was also under the same rules as those of today.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Hamilton discusses the racing with Rosberg and the lap 18 move on his column on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27069159

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:Hamilton discusses the racing with Rosberg and the lap 18 move on his column on the BBC:

Interesting read and while I understand his point of view, I do think the lap 18 incident ever so slightly crossed the line. Apart from that it was all good.

Qiwater

Post by Qiwater »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:Hamilton discusses the racing with Rosberg and the lap 18 move on his column on the BBC:

Yes. Good read let the man speak for himself .... Nice to read about the secret car/body language between drivers!!!

Lewis knows the nature of Nico he knows his driving style and races him accordingly .

I do feel the whole issue is blown out of proportion and clouding what was clearly one of the most exciting races in a very long time.

fieldstvl

Post by fieldstvl »

Interestingly, when questioned separately on Sky, Nico said they had sat down and discussed those 'moves' in Bahrain, whereas Lewis said that had not...

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

im pretty sure the only move he didnt like was the one on lap 18, other than that he was fine with it, which we already knew anyway. So just a bit of sensationalism from the beeb

mikey

Post by mikey »

Nico is sounding like a man on the back foot to me. No need to state all this publicly,do it in private.

Baroche

Post by Baroche »

Thanks very much for the link. That was very insightful! I don't usually read LH columns but that was quite illuminating about racecraft.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

This particular quote made me laugh:

"For example, there will be drivers who you can tell are not good racers. They're maybe a little bit crazy out on the circuit."

He may have well added "You all know I mean Maldonado" at the end of it.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

This particular quote made me laugh:

"For example, there will be drivers who you can tell are not good racers. They're maybe a little bit crazy out on the circuit."

He may have well added "You all know I mean Maldonado" at the end of it.

Yeah that was exactly my take on it too :lol:

OneDelamination

Post by OneDelamination »

Qiwater wrote:
Lewis knows the nature of Nico he knows his driving style and races him accordingly .

I do feel the whole issue is blown out of proportion and clouding what was clearly one of the most exciting races in a very long time.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough. Ayrton SENNA
If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done. Knowledge will give you power, but character respect. Bruce LEE

OneDelamination

Post by OneDelamination »

I'd add that Nico Rosberg sounds too whiny right now!
When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough. Ayrton SENNA
If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done. Knowledge will give you power, but character respect. Bruce LEE

F1creep

Post by F1creep »

Baroche wrote:

After seeing what he did to Alonso, it is difficult to take Nico seriously about his grievances. No quarter should be given by Lewis even at the risk of crashing. I believe Nico is trying to get into Lewis's head while doing a very deliberate and public PR job to make him appear the "cleaner" more "respectful" driver. Masterstroke!

Indeed. I like this from Rosberg, spicing things up a little. I urge him to do everything that he thinks he has to do to stay ahead. If that includes some politics and media stuff so be it. Same for Hammo. I just want those guys to unleash hell. :] This season should not only show how fast Rosberg is, but also if he is any good under pressure, psychologically.

RickM

Post by RickM »

People really do love blowing this fairy cakes way out of proportion don't they.

trento

Post by trento »

F1creep wrote:
Baroche wrote:

Indeed. I like this from Rosberg, spicing things up a little. I urge him to do everything that he thinks he has to do to stay ahead. If that includes some politics and media stuff so be it. Same for Hammo. I just want those guys to unleash hell. :] This season should not only show how fast Rosberg is, but also if he is any good under pressure, psychologically.

I'm afraid Nico has to do it on the track rather than out of it. It's not like Lewis reads any of those stuff.

Nico toes the line too much. Last year in Sepang, he was even faster than Lewis compared to Bahrain. Yet, he obeyed Brawn's order. Such a driver deserves to be second.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

RickM wrote:People really do love blowing this fairy cakes way out of proportion don't they.

:thumbup:
{Insert clever sig line here}

ianjds

Post by ianjds »

Oh dear, Britney's upset
TEAM UK
Lewis Hamilton, Paul Di Resta and Jenson Button
plus
Mark Webber
VODAFONE McLAREN MERCADES

mds

Post by mds »

ianjds wrote:Oh dear, Britney's upset

McLaren would be too when looking at your signature. You'd better correct that (and I'm don't even mean the wrong reference to Vodafone) ;)

Rek

Post by Rek »

trento wrote:
F1creep wrote:
Baroche wrote:

I'm afraid Nico has to do it on the track rather than out of it. It's not like Lewis reads any of those stuff.

Nico toes the line too much. Last year in Sepang, he was even faster than Lewis compared to Bahrain. Yet, he obeyed Brawn's order. Such a driver deserves to be second.

You can't knock him for following team orders. I have wondered what would've happened last race if RB was still TP though. I'm not so sure we would have seen such close racing.

Qiwater

Post by Qiwater »

Rek wrote:
trento wrote:
F1creep wrote:
Baroche wrote:

You can't knock him for following team orders. I have wondered what would've happened last race if RB was still TP though. I'm not so sure we would have seen such close racing.

The same thing happened in that race Nico couldn't make his passes on Lewis stick Ross saw/knew that and told them to stop and bring the cars home as nothing would be gained by them both burning limited fuel fighting each other .

halsted

Post by halsted »

'oh you're going to do me like that. next time i won't be so nice' should be rosberg's line of thought. forget team camaraderie, this is rosberg's best chance at a title.

honestly, the (overbearing) friendship hugs in victory circle were starting to grate on me a little bit.

Fiki

Post by Fiki »

Interesting read! Especially the fact that Hamilton "forgets" to say what the outcome of the discussion was. That is significant.
He also just about admits the rules were indeed broken, because at no point do the rules distinguish between team mates and non-team mates.

I'm also rather surprised some people still haven't understood the Rosberg/Hamilton and Rosberg/Alonso situations two years ago.
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi