Pastor Maldonado says FIA penalties will spoil F1 racing...

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Laura23

Pastor Maldonado says FIA penalties will spoil F1 racing...

Post by Laura23 »

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113501

No. Really. He said that. Apparently the GUT incident was a 'soft crash', hate to think what he calls a hard crash, and that ten years ago 'everyone was fighting and touching, because there were no penalties', don't know what F1 he was watching because I remember Montoya and Schumacher being hit with a few a decade ago.

To me it sounds like the boy just can't take responsibility for anything which IMO is really rather scary in a sport as dangerous as this one.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

paulsf1fix

Re: Pastor Maldonado says FIA penalties will spoil F1 racing

Post by paulsf1fix »

Silly penalties in F1 will hurt the racing yes but Maldonaldo deserves the one for hitting Esteban Gutiérrez it was dangerous he should have been given a 10 grid drop and not 5.

Swiss1

Post by Swiss1 »

I can see what he is saying, but this was a valid penalty and points...

Think he's worried that he will quickly have enough penalties for a race ban due to his dangerous driving.

mds

Post by mds »

On this matter, I'm a bit gutted for Bianchi as he's up there with 4 points already and I think he deserved none.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

hydra

Post by hydra »

it's tough to agree with him, I can see how too many penalties can ruin F1, but he shouldn't be saying that, as you deserve not to race if you ruin's somebody else's race. As good as the last race was, that crash really ruined it. I just waited for this when I heard he'll be in a Lotus. He didn't blame Guti outright but did not apologize either and I do think he got off too light.

Let's hope he gets his act together or the next time I'd like to see him banned for 5 races....

This time it was Gutierezz, next time it could be Hamilton or Rosberg, he could end up being a big championship player...

hydra

Post by hydra »

""In my opinion it was a normal race contact" - LOL, bet Gutierrez didn't think so when he was upside down!

VDV23

Post by VDV23 »

Inappropriate post removed.

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

Swiss1 wrote:I can see what he is saying, but this was a valid penalty and points...

Think he's worried that he will quickly have enough penalties for a race ban due to his dangerous driving.

Ka-ching

Maldonado is too aggressive and does stupid things far too often. He knows that if the penalty system is enforced, he will run out of points and receive a race ban. Grosjean learned his lesson, changed, and is better because of it. But Maldonado, he just doesn't learn. He should pack his suitcase and move to NASCAR.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 »

Does this guy even read the rule book? I often wonder how Pastor Maldonados mind actually works, well I presume like most peoples but you get what I mean ;)
Team Vettel, Ricciardo, Bottas and Button.

flavio81

Post by flavio81 »

Wow. Just wow.

I was going to make a political joke but i'll refrain.

Lets hope Gutierrez ends up much higher in the championship this year.
"I'm going to go in the car but I'm telling you, from today, I'm going to do what I want to do when it's wet."-- Prost, 1982, immediately after Didier's accident.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Swiss1 wrote:I can see what he is saying, but this was a valid penalty and points...

Ka-ching

Maldonado is too aggressive and does stupid things far too often. He knows that if the penalty system is enforced, he will run out of points and receive a race ban. Grosjean learned his lesson, changed, and is better because of it. But Maldonado, he just doesn't learn. He should pack his suitcase and move to NASCAR.

He must have said that after the car came to rest and he was there hanging by his shoulder straps. Knowing that he was Ok and having the image of him hanging there wondering why the world is upside-down gives it a surreal humor that makes me chuckle.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

Robbo-92 wrote: I often wonder how Pastor Maldonados mind actually works

Most of the time it doesn't.

hydra

Post by hydra »

yeah, the reaction was funny, given that he was allright, seems like a nice guy. It should have been Maldonado uspide down and out of the race, but oh well.

I can agree Maldonado does have some talent, but won't last long with those antics

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

Guys there is a thread about the Gutierrez/Maldonado incident. This is not about that topic.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Laura23 wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113501

No. Really. He said that. Apparently the GUT incident was a 'soft crash', hate to think what he calls a hard crash, and that ten years ago 'everyone was fighting and touching, because there were no penalties', don't know what F1 he was watching because I remember Montoya and Schumacher being hit with a few a decade ago.

To me it sounds like the boy just can't take responsibility for anything which IMO is really rather scary in a sport as dangerous as this one.

The guy is worried about getting banned and basically doesn't really realise what an idiot he is at times
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

OT
Last edited by pokerman on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

OT
Last edited by pokerman on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

OT
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Really. What a tool.
Its that he knows he will get banned.

For what its worth. I still think he should be sitting out a gp. If not 2 orc3.

CanadianDan

Post by CanadianDan »

He is only saying this because he knows that at somepoint this season he will get a race ban. Okay he has won a race, but he doesnt engage his brain when racing and too many incidents in the past... a race ban sorted out Grojean no end... This is where i thing the penalty points come into their own.

It teaches drivers to behave and race... but race safely.
2015 Predictions
1) Williams to win a Race (probably at the hands of Bottas)
2) Jenson Button to beat Fernando Alonso... but only just
3) McLaren to score at least 1 point... but to spend the season fighting with Manor-

hd23

Post by hd23 »

He doesn't get it at all....

beanchimp

Post by beanchimp »

I remember a younger Michael saying similar 10 years ago over his run ins with other drivers

Not that the 2 could ever be compared, but Schumacher sort of had a point in that he grew up with the whole Senna era of hitting, pushing shoving running off the road / in to each other antics

Maldonado probably wasn't even born so he cannot cite the same reasons

The guy is a liability and even the other drivers call him dangerous, says something doesn't it.........

James14

Post by James14 »

Maybe he is testing some material for his post F1 stand up routine.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

it was a soft crash, that seemed like a hard crash because the spectacularity of it, but it was really a soft crash. Both cars were going very slowly when they collided.

Amon

Post by Amon »

Well I do agree that there are way too many penalties in F1 nowadays the problem is that it comes from Maldonado's mouth. If someone should already had a a whole season ban (if not lifetime or license revoked) it must be him. It was because of his stupidity that he sC had to come out and the race was ruined for some.
F1 fan since 1989

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

nixxxon wrote:

it was a soft crash, that seemed like a hard crash because the spectacularity of it, but it was really a soft crash. Both cars were going very slowly when they collided.

Karl Wendlinger was going at 30MPH when he hit that barrier in Monaco back in 1994. It isn't the speed that matters, it's the move in the first place and that one was pathetic from Maldonado.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Laura23 wrote:Karl Wendlinger was going at 30MPH when he hit that barrier in Monaco back in 1994. It isn't the speed that matters, it's the move in the first place and that one was pathetic from Maldonado.

I just watched the Wendlinger video and looked more like 130MPH rather than 30MPH... With those 1994 cars that had poor safety.
Anyway, you could also say Gutierrez should have been more aware of the car that was coming out from the pits. He shut the door completely in the corner and Pastor had nowhere to go. Weren't they fighting for position?
Last edited by nixxxon on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

P-F1 Mod

Post by P-F1 Mod »

We've comfortably established Maldonado should have been penalised for the Bahrain incident. Can we please focus on the wider issue rather than just this one incident. As I have already said, there is another thread for that.

ETM3

Post by ETM3 »

FIA penalties may spoil racing for Maldonado but they will improve racing for everyone else.

Maldonado races in a constant state of red mist. It is scary that he seems to have the same
clouded judgement even when the adrenaline is not flowing. Does he have to hurt someone or
himself before he gets it. Good racers seldom make these kinds of mistakes and when they do
they tend to make light contact because they error by a smaller margin. Maldonado is a much
better driver in his head than he is in real life.

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

ETM3 wrote:FIA penalties may spoil racing for Maldonado but they will improve racing for everyone else.

Maldonado races in a constant state of red mist. It is scary that he seems to have the same
clouded judgement even when the adrenaline is not flowing. Does he have to hurt someone or
himself before he gets it.
Good racers seldom make these kinds of mistakes and when they do
they tend to make light contact because they error by a smaller margin. Maldonado is a much
better driver in his head than he is in real life.

The bit in bold is the problem. He has already nearly killed a Marshall in Monaco because he ignored yellow flags.

beanchimp

Post by beanchimp »

I wonder how much of his talking of no blame is down to his sponsors ?

A bit like the old never admit blame in the event of an accident for your insurers

silkjet

Post by silkjet »

Human nature. Maldonado likely does not belong in F1, and sees the penalty points as a danger to his future. Another example of "Whose ox is being gored?". Not surprising at all

SWAN

Post by SWAN »

LOL Normal race contact...for Pastor - contact is an inevitable part of racing. Its ridiculous in open wheel F1 to have that outlook surely...?!

Blackhander

Post by Blackhander »

How long do the penalty points actually stay on a license? Are they wiped at the end of the season or is it 12 months? 24 months? If they're wiped before the next season I think that will take a lot of power out of the system. If it's 12 months or more the deterence will be far higher as teams might be reluctant to hire a driver who might get a ban at any minute
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 1st Spa '16, 1st Bahrain '15, 1st China '14, 1st Malaysia '14
Championship position 2014: 13th | | 2015: 10th (heading the right way)
PF1 Autosport GP Predictor 2014: Second 2015: Second

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

Exactly.

It didn't stop Lewis/Nico race and all the other drivers from racing its just idiot Maldonado that needs to sort his crap out. Only have to look at the two incidents during 2 practise sessions. His head isn't right for F1.

GingerFurball

Post by GingerFurball »

How Maldonado hasn't been banned is beyond me.

owenmahamilton

Post by owenmahamilton »

I just found this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5nt7IdyPs

please someone explain to me, apart from his sponsorship money, how is this guy in F1?

Lojik

Post by Lojik »

owenmahamilton wrote:I just found this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5nt7IdyPs

please someone explain to me, apart from his sponsorship money, how is this guy in F1?

Good grief that's absolutely appalling! Have not seen that before, and just when i thought my opinion of this loon couldn't be any lower. :x

fieldstvl

Post by fieldstvl »

There's another one online somewhere when PM is in one of the lower formulas; he's side-by-side with another car (or maybe 2) coming out of a corner, and just suddenly changes direction and takes himself and another car off the circuit and out of the race. Mental. I'll have a better search for it.