Stefano Domenicali has resigned

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Laura23

Re: Stefano Domenicali has resigned

Post by Laura23 »

Prema wrote:Just watching the News, the sport reporter (Pedro Pinto?) concluding/speculating that Alonso's ironical celebrations of his 9th place in Bahrain did play quite a relevant role in Domenicali quitting so abruptly.

I don't think Alonso has that kind of power at Ferrari these days. If anything he's on his way out of there too sooner or later.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Simon1969

Post by Simon1969 »

I wonder what he will do now? Will he go somewhere else to work in F1 in some other capacity?

I'm presuming Ferrari won't give him a job doing something else....

slide

Post by slide »

ross brawn , coff coff

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Even if they did manage to snare Brawn the fact is this kind of thing will take at least a couple of seasons to turn around now. Look at Merc from 2010 onwards (with Brawn!), look at Red Bull when Newey joined them in 2006 and when Brawn first joined Ferrari back in 1996...

...There won't be a quick fix no matter who they employ. I think Domenicali should have been given until the end of this year at least because the signs were there for a while that they were going to have a tough start.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

pokerman

Re: Stefano Domenicali has resigned (?)

Post by pokerman »

Magnusll wrote:
pokerman wrote:Surely you mean Kimi?

No, I really did mean Alonso although I admit I was less than clear in that statement. I'm convinced Kimi was never intended to be a "permanent replacement" for Schumacher, as in "our top driver for the next several years around whom we'll build another winning cycle", so LdM was essentially laying the groundwork for bringing Alonso in. Add that Todt and Brawn were already looking for different positions and it's clear why that specific point in time was chosen for the reorganization.

IMO, the only real mistake made by LdM was to pick Domenicali to lead the team for the following cycle.

Well i don't see that, i think they had ear marked Kimi as early as 2005 and both Kimi and Alonso were out of contract after 2006.
Last edited by pokerman on Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Magnusll

Post by Magnusll »

According to the rumors currently flying around, him leaving at the end of the year was the original plan but it was Stefano himself who chose to leave right now, while LdM would have preferred to stick to the plan. Also, apparently, he's leaving Ferrari for good, not just his position as team principal.

And Bob Bell today announces him leaving Mercedes. One has to wonder...

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

pokerman wrote:
Magnusll wrote:

No, I really did mean Alonso although I admit I was less than clear in that statement. I'm convinced Kimi was never intended to be a "permanent replacement" for Schumacher, as in "our top driver for the next several years around whom we'll build another winning cycle", so LdM was essentially laying the groundwork for bringing Alonso in. Add that Todt and Brawn were already looking for different positions and it's clear why that specific point in time was chosen for the reorganization.

IMO, the only real mistake made by LdM was to pick Domenicali to lead the team for the following cycle.

Well i don't see that, if think they had ear marked Kimi as early as 2005 and both Kimi and Alonso were out of contract after 2006.

I agree Kimi was intended for the long term, not as a stop gap. His reputation was sky high by the end of his McLaren days and he was referred to as the fastest man in F1. Ferrari thought they were getting the best talent of the time

Magnusll

Post by Magnusll »

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:Well i don't see that, if think they had ear marked Kimi as early as 2005 and both Kimi and Alonso were out of contract after 2006.

I agree Kimi was intended for the long term, not as a stop gap. His reputation was sky high by the end of his McLaren days and he was referred to as the fastest man in F1. Ferrari thought they were getting the best talent of the time

I disagree. But we will probably never know for sure anyway.

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

There's so much confusion coming out of Ferrari right now it's like watching a combination of Monty Python and Benny Hill. So what facts (and let's ignore the heavy flow of public relations noise coming out of Ferrari) are we aware of?

When Domenicali was promoted as Team Principle, he came out of an administration and human resources position. He's a bureaucrat, a manager. His replacement, Mattiaci, is also a manager, he isn't a member of the racing community.

So is the person who oversees the administration and management of the racing team, does he eat, sleep, and breathe racing or is he a "Ferrari guy"? Based on his past work history, Domenicali is a company man, willing to fall on his sword for the good of his employer.

Now for my own personal speculation.

Monty's safe, he got someone else to take the blame, and for the rest of 2014, no matter how poor the car does, we all know who to point fingers at. This may please Alonso somewhat, but he will never be happy until he has a decently competitive car. But it may be enough to keep him around a few more years, it would be humiliating for what is considered one of the best drivers walks away from Ferrari because he never got a decent car. And if Alonso does decide to take his talents elsewhere, we all know that we can all still point our fingers at Domenicali and blame him.

I could easily laugh at this three ring circus of clowns called Ferrari, but the reality is very unpleasant. This is a team with a great history, full of highly skilled and motivated people. They put in incredible hours and effort, the team has immense resources, lots of money, public support, and have two of the best drivers on the grid, drivers who consistently deliver lots and lots of points, if not wins.

But what now? Is a podium asking too much? Is 2014 salvageable?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Prema wrote:Just watching the News, the sport reporter (Pedro Pinto?) concluding/speculating that Alonso's ironical celebrations of his 9th place in Bahrain did play quite a relevant role in Domenicali quitting so abruptly.

Would one consider Alonso to be an inspirational figure?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Magnusll wrote:

Well i don't see that, if think they had ear marked Kimi as early as 2005 and both Kimi and Alonso were out of contract after 2006.

Yes thats how i saw it as well
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

say_hello_2_the_angels

Post by say_hello_2_the_angels »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this whole thing completely - and if I do I apologize in advance. But Mattiaci seems to be a salesman more than anything else. A fantastic very capable one given his credentials, but a salesman none the less. I am wondering how exactly this appointment isnt just more of the same. Is it a short term solution?

I think its just a matter of time before the teams fall into Mercedes model of management. McLaren look to have set the groundwork for that already.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:There's so much confusion coming out of Ferrari right now it's like watching a combination of Monty Python and Benny Hill. So what facts (and let's ignore the heavy flow of public relations noise coming out of Ferrari) are we aware of?

When Domenicali was promoted as Team Principle, he came out of an administration and human resources position. He's a bureaucrat, a manager. His replacement, Mattiaci, is also a manager, he isn't a member of the racing community.

So is the person who oversees the administration and management of the racing team, does he eat, sleep, and breathe racing or is he a "Ferrari guy"? Based on his past work history, Domenicali is a company man, willing to fall on his sword for the good of his employer.

Monty's safe, he got someone else to take the blame, and for the rest of 2014, no matter how poor the car does, we all know who to point fingers at. This may please Alonso somewhat, but he will never be happy until he has a decently competitive car. But it may be enough to keep him around a few more years, it would be humiliating for what is considered one of the best drivers walks away from Ferrari because he never got a decent car. And if Alonso does decide to take his talents elsewhere, we all know that we can all still point our fingers at Domenicali and blame him.

I could easily laugh at this three ring circus of clowns called Ferrari, but the reality is very unpleasant. This is a team with a great history, full of highly skilled and motivated people. They put in incredible hours and effort, the team has immense resources, lots of money, public support, and have two of the best drivers on the grid, drivers who consistently deliver lots and lots of points, if not wins.

Good points. They are both administrators, not technicians or racers.

GPG

Post by GPG »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:There's so much confusion coming out of Ferrari right now it's like watching a combination of Monty Python and Benny Hill. So what facts (and let's ignore the heavy flow of public relations noise coming out of Ferrari) are we aware of?

The change of management at the top could be an interim job until a manager with racing experience is able/willing to step in.

With regards to your questions, perhaps the people at Ferrari know something which we as F1 watchers haven't fully realized yet. Maybe the Ferrari is so far behind in terms of performance that scoring a podium will prove a major challenge for star drivers like Alonso and Raikkonen. It is safe to say that both Mercedes and Red Bull are ahead and after Bahrain it is uncertain if Ferrari has a serious competitive edge compared to Williams, Force India and McLaren. If this really is the case, then I can fully understand that Ferrari wants to start re-organising right away in order to bounce back in 2015. This does mean that 2014 will be a lost year, comparable to what McLaren experienced in 2013.

I could be wrong though. Ferrari may have lost their team principle, but they still have the resources and the drivers to finish third in the WCC.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition: 10th (2014); 8th (2015)

PF1 Pick 3 Competition: 1st (2014); 1st (2015)

say_hello_2_the_angels

Here's a hypothetical.

What if Brawn has been poached by Ferrari in November/December, do you think that the pieces are starting to fall into place given that we are hearing that Bob Bell has also resigned from mercades? RB may have asked BB to join him and run the team in the way they hoped to at Mercedes but ultimately denied? Brawn, Bell and Alison would be quite a trio - I would expect Pat Fry to be shuffled about too...

ill get my tin foil hat....

ReservoirDog

Post by ReservoirDog »

YESSSSSSSS!!!!

He should've been fired after Abu Dhabi 2010 though.

James14

Post by James14 »

I mentioned this in another thread but Ferrari's two massive problems are:
Engine power.
Down force.

How SD was responsible for these issues is beyond me and from a brief look at Marco Mattiacci's CV I cannot fathom how he will improve these issues either.
from every other aspect I cannot fault SD. Driver management, Pit crew efficiency, Strategy calls and his relationship with the media were all excellent from my point of view.
LdM has got his fall guy to take the pressure off. For a while at least.

I wish Stefano all the best in the future. I felt he did his job with great dignity whilst under enormous pressure and is a Ferrari man through and through.

say_hello_2_the_angels

James14 wrote:I mentioned this in another thread but Ferrari's two massive problems are:
Engine power.
Down force.

How SD was responsible for these issues is beyond me and from a brief look at Marco Mattiacci's CV I cannot fathom how he will improve these issues either.
from every other aspect I cannot fault SD. Driver management, Pit crew efficiency, Strategy calls and his relationship with the media were all excellent from my point of view.

I wish Stefano all the best in the future. I felt he did his job with great dignity whilst under enormous pressure and is a Ferrari man through and through.

I agree completely- I think Ferrari have lost two good people in the last year who were committed Ferrari men who were always prepared to serve the team above and beyond - Massa and SD. I will miss him and I think its a shame that there has been another scapegoat in all of this. LdiM could have fought him to stay. and i think he should have unless there are bigger behind the scenes plans afoot

FragNasty

Post by FragNasty »

Domenicali's problem is likely that he values reliability more than speed, from what I've seen of the conservative view he took with the car. His strategy is probably more suited for Lemans than F1.

sandyf1

Post by sandyf1 »

FragNasty wrote:Domenicali's problem is likely that he values reliability more than speed, from what I've seen of the conservative view he took with the car. His strategy is probably more suited for Lemans than F1.
:uhoh:

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

James14 wrote:I mentioned this in another thread but Ferrari's two massive problems are:
Engine power.
Down force.

It was interesting listening to Ben Spies commentating on Moto GP yesterday when asked about the improvements shown by Ducati. In simplistic terms he said that Ducati had basically thrown too much money into employing lots of design engineers. This leads to lots of ideas but no clear direction, This was down to the management. Now Ducati have less designers but they are working as a close knit team all heading in the same direction. Perhaps SD has organised the team incorrectly with too much going on and they need to simplify their design team with a single focus.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Arai_or_Nothing

Post by Arai_or_Nothing »

Laura23 wrote:Shame. I don't think he was ever the problem.

Luca de Montezemolo is. He's always seemed to want to run Ferrari his own way and not always the best way. He's the last and top chain so the blame should lie with him IMO. He was the one who ended up tearing apart the dream team of Brawn/Todt/Schumacher/Byrne because his ego couldn't take it anymore. He was the one who started the big down fall back in 2006. Yet no one ever questions his stay.

It's Luca who has to go. Or Ferrari will never head into the future, they'll continue trying to live off past glories just like they did before he brought Todt in during the early 90s.

My sentiments exactly on LDM.

As for Domenecali, he had plenty of time to right and lead the ship and for some reason, it's always been a little too much for him to gain full control the way Brawn, Todt and Byrne had. Perhaps that was the model by which Mercedes was built upon. No single head figure, but a group of top guys sharing the load with one guy as the representing head figure.

Overall however, Domenicali is perhaps too nice a guy with not enough testicular fortitude to do as Todt used to with LDM and tell him to STFU and watch how it's done! With the finances he's amassed I'm sure he'll be just fine. I think the next head to roll in Ferrari's F1 division will be LDM himself and to that I'd say good riddance. Running an empire of automobile manufacturing is a totally different animal to running an F1 outfit and Fiat's managing partners need to sack him ready.

sandyf1

Post by sandyf1 »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Engine power.
Down force.

It was interesting listening to Ben Spies commentating on Moto GP yesterday when asked about the improvements shown by Ducati. In simplistic terms he said that Ducati had basically thrown too much money into employing lots of design engineers. This leads to lots of ideas but no clear direction, This was down to the management. Now Ducati have less designers but they are working as a close knit team all heading in the same direction. Perhaps SD has organised the team incorrectly with too much going on and they need to simplify their design team with a single focus.

Mercedes' success this season shows quite the opposite actually.
Last edited by sandyf1 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

FragNasty wrote:Domenicali's problem is likely that he values reliability more than speed, from what I've seen of the conservative view he took with the car. His strategy is probably more suited for Lemans than F1.

Wasn't that the big word with the new cars though, reliability?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:But what now? Is a podium asking too much? Is 2014 salvageable?

Nope it's not salvageable. This is 2009 all over again.

But Ferrari's 2010 wasn't too shabby so right now they should work out how to best prepare for next year. McLaren are doing the same thing right now.

Whether the drivers will stick around or not is a different matter.
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Engine power.
Down force.

Is that not the approach taken by Mercedes though?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

James14

Post by James14 »

Asphalt_World wrote:

I think you have hit the nail on the head perfectly. To me Ferrari have become bloated and lacking in a clear direction with their car.
How much of this is down to SD or LdM I am not sure. But to me you have perfectly summed up the crux of the problem with Ferrari.

James14

Post by James14 »

On a side note whilst I have been giving Ferrari a hard time I would like to say at least they have thanked Stefano quickly and publicly:
"I thank Stefano Domenicali, not only for his constant dedication and effort, but also for the great sense of responsibility he has shown, even today, in always putting the interests of Ferrari above all else," said Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo.
I felt the same could have been done for Martin Whitmarsh. *Ahem, sideways look at Ron Dennis*

ToniWolf

Post by ToniWolf »

pokerman wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Engine power.
Down force.

Is that not the approach taken by Mercedes though?

Really dont think anyone on the outside can possibly know what MERC s design philosophy is/was and how it was implemented. ! Maybe they had lots of engineers working as a close knit unit pulling in the same direction..Too many cooks can spoil the broth but it is not an inevitability

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

Porsan wrote:
Harpo wrote:One question : who will be the next scapegoat, now that the obvious one has been used ?

Harpo, Dom can't be considered as a "scapegoat". His job title was "team-principal" and you can not be both "team-principal" and "scapegoat" at the same time. Both concepts are mutually exclusive.

Of course you're right... It's just that I don't think Domenicali was the problem, but just could not be the solution. Just like any other office manager still hot from the Ferrari mould will not be the solution. Because I don't think they get the power to shake things, if they ever get the will to do it.
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

FragNasty

Post by FragNasty »

pokerman wrote:

Wasn't that the big word with the new cars though, reliability?

A Power Unit issue, the rest of the car pretty much only needs to be able to cross the finish line.

examples of what I mean:

A ferrari engineer made two videos contemplating the issue of push vs pull front suspension setups with Peter Windsor. The conclusion being that the pull rod setup would require a heavier, stronger chassis design because of the greater forces the suspension geometry puts on the parts. The pull rod setup was put into play at Ferrari last year as part of a strategy to position the suspension arms arm as high as possible for added aero.

This year, even though new rules regarding the nose area really neutralize any aero benefit from the pull rod setup, Ferrari decided they where still going to use the heavier pull rod design. Why? I contend because it was a carry over from last year as an attempt to reduce risk by introducing fewer modifications in the chassis and suspension? It's this conservative view and value of reliability I am referring to, by using existing designs and parts that is a stable known quantity, Ferrari (perhaps Domenicali) hinders innovation and ultimately performance by making such decision.

Low engine power is debatable, we may be seeing sensor variation issues. But I found the water intercooler decision to also be dubious. A air to air heat exchange only as one area of heat exchange where a difference in temperature effects performance. The air to water to air exchange has two. As a result, the water intercooler can never reach the same cold point as the air intercooler. Perhaps when those decisions where being made it was believed that the additional heat could be acceptable as part of the whole engine-fuel formula. But once again, a decision was made to accept a heavier, less efficient technology. Why, maybe because it would keep the packaging of the side-pods more similar in size to last years car so they could try and work off of preexisting aero models they already had.

Now, I might agree with all of that if last year's car was the winner. But it wasn't and we all agreed that the changes this year constitute more a revolution of design rather than evolution, so why go to all the trouble and take performance hits from inefficient designs just to try and engineer aero from an unsuccessful and obsolete model?

RickM

Post by RickM »

Well that was a dumb move...way to go Ferrari. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Get rid of that idiot Luca and it'll all be clean sailing. Ferrari rely way too much on this bullshit 'we are amazing' image when quite frankly, they don't deserve such a prominent title. What the heck is getting rid of Domenicali going to solve exactly?

Last I checked, he had very little input on the engine that's been pants, and likely zero input on the design of the car. There's only so much a TP can do, and fixing a failing company ethos and mentality is not one of them when you've got someone like Luca above you.

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

This is horrible news and I do not like Stefano one bit. This basically means he is not having confidence in performance, upgrades this year and it is going to pretty bad. 2009 level bad I guess. When Kimi somehow won SPA for them. I think this year even they have given up for wins x(

They are demoralized right now but it can't get worse than Bahrain. I just hope they and improve car handling for Kimi and performance to at least fight for podium. No point in giving up with just 3 races :evil:
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Arai_or_Nothing wrote:

Luca de Montezemolo is. He's always seemed to want to run Ferrari his own way and not always the best way. He's the last and top chain so the blame should lie with him IMO. He was the one who ended up tearing apart the dream team of Brawn/Todt/Schumacher/Byrne because his ego couldn't take it anymore. He was the one who started the big down fall back in 2006. Yet no one ever questions his stay.

It's Luca who has to go. Or Ferrari will never head into the future, they'll continue trying to live off past glories just like they did before he brought Todt in during the early 90s.

As for Domenecali, he had plenty of time to right and lead the ship and for some reason, it's always been a little too much for him to gain full control the way Brawn, Todt and Byrne had. Perhaps that was the model by which Mercedes was built upon. No single head figure, but a group of top guys sharing the load with one guy as the representing head figure.

Overall however, Domenicali is perhaps too nice a guy with not enough testicular fortitude to do as Todt used to with LDM and tell him to STFU and watch how it's done! With the finances he's amassed I'm sure he'll be just fine. I think the next head to roll in Ferrari's F1 division will be LDM himself and to that I'd say good riddance. Running an empire of automobile manufacturing is a totally different animal to running an F1 outfit and Fiat's managing partners need to sack him ready.

Who do you imagine is going to wield the axe? LDM basically is Ferrari these days.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Arai_or_Nothing wrote:

Who do you imagine is going to wield the axe? LDM basically is Ferrari these days.

As has been pointed out before, LdM heads the parent company, which is doing very well thank you very much. He's almost as much the epitome of Ferrari as Enzo was. He's not going anywhere

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

Start of a bit of a powerplay? Luca is an institution but he still answers to the Agnelli's... any idea whose 'man' the new fella might be? Its a strange appointment, even for a stop gap.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

5ANDYm

Post by 5ANDYm »

Ferrari have already contacted Ross Brawn. Flavio Briatore supposedly declined the role, making it clear he doesn't want to return to
People have short memory's these days and want spoon fed, Do your own research.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

5ANDYm wrote:Ferrari have already contacted Ross Brawn. Flavio Briatore supposedly declined the role, making it clear he doesn't want to return to

I know Kravitz is adamant Brawn is on his way but I really dont see what he stands to gain by coming back. He won it all and then some the first time round with the Red Team, won the championship in a car that bore his own name, and has left a legacy in the form of this season's Mercedes that is unlikely to be matched this season, let alone bettered. Ferrari are looking like they now need a total reboot, and that doesn't happen overnight and even then success isn't a given.

If I were Brawn, i'd be more than content, sitting on my large pile of Merc cash safe in the knowledge that my place in F1 lore is very much safe.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

RE the responses about my Ducati post, I'm not saying the same thing has happened at Ferrari, nor am I comparing it to Mercedes, just simply making a point that could be relevant.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Flash2k11 wrote:Start of a bit of a powerplay? Luca is an institution but he still answers to the Agnelli's... any idea whose 'man' the new fella might be? Its a strange appointment, even for a stop gap.

The last Agnelli to have anything to do with the management of Fiat was Gianni who died some years ago. Luca was infact president of Fiat fairly recently.