Please read the forum rules
Denorth

Stefano Domenicali has resigned

Post by Denorth »

Dimi PAPADOPOULOS ‏@f1enigma 1m

Leo Turrini : Stefano Domenicali has resigned. Mr Mattiacci to take over

EDIT: added a question mark in the topic subject

EDIT2: removed a question mark :)
Last edited by Denorth on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
We are worse than animals, we hunger for the kill
We put our faith in maniacs the triumph of the will
We kill for money, wealth and lust, for this we should be damned
We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

Amon

Re: Stefano Domenicali has resigned

Post by Amon »

Can you provide a clearer source than that? A link would be nice.
F1 fan since 1989

matzy

Post by matzy »

Mod Grey

Post by Mod Grey »

I don't have a concrete source right now, but I can confirm the rumour is rife across the majority of the F1 journalists on twitter. Will look for confirmation.

M.Nader -DODZ-

Post by M.Nader -DODZ- »

He joins Whitmarsh then.

F1 is turning very flowery :)

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Even if its not a reliable source, I believe them completely

halsted

Post by halsted »

Wow, I did not expect a midseason change. This is definitely huge, but I'm not sure there'e any real immediate benefit other than to grab the headlines.

Denorth

Post by Denorth »

if I could I would :) but normally Leo is pretty good on this kind of thing. He can joke and talk a bit of BS, but not on this subject. So far everyone quotes him
We are worse than animals, we hunger for the kill
We put our faith in maniacs the triumph of the will
We kill for money, wealth and lust, for this we should be damned
We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Denorth wrote:if I could I would :) but normally Leo is pretty good on this kind of thing. He can joke and talk a bit of BS, but not on this subject. So far everyone quotes him

I agree. Not good news for Kimi I fear

mds

Post by mds »

halsted wrote:Wow, I did not expect a midseason change.

I think a midseason change is best when you don't expect the season to take a turn for the better. That way everything can be set up to have a proper 2015 campaign, instead of letting a person/people in which you have lost faith continue. After all, the second half of this year is probably the key period for the 2015 campaign.
Go Vandoorne :( - Verstappen - Vettel!

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

mds wrote:

I think a midseason change is best when you don't expect the season to take a turn for the better. That way everything can be set up to have a proper 2015 campaign, instead of letting a person/people in which you have lost faith continue. After all, the second half of this year is probably the key period for the 2015 campaign.

Yes, it does suggest that they are already now looking to 2015

hd23

Re: Stefano Domenicali has resigned (?)

Post by hd23 »

Lol imagine Whitmarsh and Domenicali working together at a new team next season

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Twitter is going crazy with this... and wikipedia has already edited Domenicali's page (adding "former") it seems its true folks... YAY!!

halsted

Post by halsted »

Zoue wrote:
mds wrote:

Yes, it does suggest that they are already now looking to 2015

But they would only sack domenicali if they had someone waiting in the wings right? I don't know, sacking SD only to promote this Matticiacci (unknown to me) sounds like a case of firing for the sake of firing. I would've thought they'd have someone more high profile take over. Like with Whitmarsh, mclaren had boullier step in with immediate effect.

maybe there's still another domino to fall, but at first blush, this move feels kinda short sighted

Herb

Post by Herb »

halsted wrote:But they would only sack domenicali if they had someone waiting in the wings right? I don't know, sacking SD only to promote this Matticiacci sounds like a case of firing for the sake of firing. Like with Whitmarsh, mclaren had boullier step in with immediate effect.

maybe there's still another domino to fall, but at first blush, this move feels kinda short sighted

The quote says he has resigned, if accurate, maybe it took Ferrari by surprise?

Ev0lutionz

Post by Ev0lutionz »

Wth? Is this someone to replace SD so that Briatore can take over soon?

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:He joins Whitmarsh then.

It's running a risk of turning in to Football, where managers get sacked just like that. Most of the time though replacing the manager makes no difference in the teams performance/results.

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

Ev0lutionz wrote:Wth? Is this someone to replace SD so that Briatore can take over soon?

I don't know that they'd need Mattiacci for that, though? Why not just put Briatore straight in if he was the intended replacement?

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

So Ferrari vs Sauber for 8th in the constructors next year.

Seriously though, I don't think Domenicali was the problem. Or not the whole problem anyway. It will be interesting to see how results will be effected if true.
IV

Ev0lutionz

Post by Ev0lutionz »

Zoue

Post by Zoue »

AngusWolfe wrote:So Ferrari vs Sauber for 8th in the constructors next year.

Seriously though, I don't think Domenicali was the problem. Or not the whole problem anyway. It will be interesting to see how results will be effected if true.

I agree. But as somebody said on another thread it's probably more to do with LdM asserting his authority than any direct reflection on Domenicali's own performance. I strongly suspect Domenicali's just been made a scapegoat

mds

Post by mds »

Teddy007 wrote:

It's running a risk of turning in to Football, where managers get sacked just like that. Most of the time though replacing the manager makes no difference in the teams performance/results.

To be fair, in football a top team that doesn't get good results will replace the coach way, way sooner than 4 years. More like half a season at best.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

mds wrote:
Teddy007 wrote:

To be fair, in football a top team that doesn't get good results will replace the coach way, way sooner than 4 years. More like half a season at best.

I think that was Teddy's point.

Sonic4liv3

Post by Sonic4liv3 »

"Apparently Luca di Montezemolo recently agreed a three-year extension to his Ferrari deal, so he won't be going any time soon"

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

So did he jump or was he pushed?

I fear, he has been turned into another Ferrari scapegoat.
Winter is Coming

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

nixxxon wrote:Twitter is going crazy with this... and wikipedia has already edited Domenicali's page (adding "former") it seems its true folks... YAY!!

I hope you know that this will make very little difference to Ferrari, and that this time next year, you'll probably be asking for the new guys head on a stick as well.
Winter is Coming

sandyf1

Post by sandyf1 »

mds wrote:
Teddy007 wrote:

A manager of a football team has far more influence on matters on the picth , than a team principal on the track. He is the equivalent of a football team's CEO and most CEO's either see out their contract or resign. They rarely get the sack.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

nixxxon wrote:Twitter is going crazy with this... and wikipedia has already edited Domenicali's page (adding "former") it seems its true folks... YAY!!

Anyone can edit wiki mate!

mds

Post by mds »

sandyf1 wrote:
mds wrote:
Teddy007 wrote:

A manager of a football team has far more influence on matters on the picth , than a team principal on the track. He is the equivalent of a football team's CEO and most CEO's either see out their contract or resign. They rarely get the sack.

Wouldn't you rather compare Montezemolo with a football team's manager and Domenicali with the coach?

I now see I read Teddy007's post wrong. I thought he meant the coach instead of the manager. Agree with you in that the manager (or Montezomolo) aren't usually replaced just like that.

Magnusll

Post by Magnusll »

Reported by Gazzetta, as good as official now:

http://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/14-04- ... 1753.shtml

Replacement is apparently Marco Mattiacci, current head of North America Ferrari division.

mcdo

Post by mcdo »

This is the start of what I expect to be a painful few years for Ferrari
I don't rely entirely on God
ImageImage
I rely on Prost

Ev0lutionz

Post by Ev0lutionz »

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 21m
Apparently Luca di Montezemolo recently agreed a three-year extension to his Ferrari deal, so he won't be going any time soon

Wow, its very rare that adam replies to me.

He said Luca extended himself when i asked him whether it was SD or the new fella.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Clarky wrote:

Anyone can edit wiki mate!

Exactly. Wikipedia was wrong on many occasions. On one occasion some decided to ignore all FIA documents and make up facts to suit their concept of article.
eeee

Magnusll

Post by Magnusll »

Also reported by Repubblica, Corriere and just about every major italian newspaper.

According to the Autosprint article, Domenicali had already previously decided to leave the position by the end of the year, but he chose to leave earlier due to the current lack of results and essentially to offer himself as a scapegoat.

sandyf1

Post by sandyf1 »

mds wrote:
sandyf1 wrote:
mds wrote:
Teddy007 wrote:

Wouldn't you rather compare Montezemolo with a football team's manager and Domenicali with the coach?

I now see I read Teddy007's post wrong. I thought he meant the coach instead of the manager. Agree with you in that the manager (or Montezomolo) aren't usually replaced just like that.

Domenicali does not design the car. He does not plan strategies during a race. He just hires people usually based on the recommendation of the technical director and inks contracts with various suppliers. His only possible major role is in hiring the drivers and that too is usually montezemolo's call. The technical director is the manager of an F1 team IMO and so if anyone deserves the sack it is Pat Fry.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Oke, it seems to be true. Shame, but thank god Biatore isn't back.
eeee

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

@adamcooperF1
I'm told that Stefano Domenicali's departure, and take over by Marco Mattiacci, is about to be formally confirmed

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

CONFIRMED HE HAS STEPPED DOWN...!

Herb

Post by Herb »

Clarky wrote:CONFIRMED HE HAS STEPPED DOWN...!

Where has it been confirmed?

mds

Post by mds »

sandyf1 wrote:
mds wrote:
sandyf1 wrote:
mds wrote:
Teddy007 wrote:It's running a risk of turning in to Football, where managers get sacked just like that. Most of the time though replacing the manager makes no difference in the teams performance/results.

Domenicali does not design the car. He does not plan strategies during a race. He just hires people usually based on the recommendation of the technical director and inks contracts with various suppliers. His only possible major role is in hiring the drivers and that too is usually montezemolo's call. The technical director is the manager of an F1 team IMO and so if anyone deserves the sack it is Pat Fry.

I think you're greatly diminishing the role of a TP. It's up to Domenicali to run the team in that all falls into place well, both on and off track. Sure he'll delegate like any high-placed person, but he bears a lot of responsibility.