Rosberg perhaps feeling a little demoralised?

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
jimmypickle

Post by jimmypickle »

After Lewis' fantastic racing against Nico in both Bahrain and Malaysia, as well as Nico's post-race interviews in Bahrain, I am getting the idea that maybe Nico isn't feeling as confident as he was at the beginning of the season. As a few have already said, It is almost like he knows that in the the same car, Lewis will come out on top. He also posted a video a few days stating that "I am coming back for the win."

Do you think he is feeling a little demoralised?

Ennis

Re: Rosberg perhaps feeling a little demoralised?

Post by Ennis »

In the immediate aftermath of the race, yes. But some people take that to come back stronger whilst others confidence suffers - to be at the top of racing I genuinely believe he'll come back stronger.

Also he had pace on Hamilton which he'll take comfort from, he just couldn't make an overtaking move stick. He's not always going to need to and he kept trying to make moves around the same place where Hamilton played perfectly in how to defend it, that again won't always be the case.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

I haven't got that feeling at all. How is a video stating "I am coming back for the win." supposed to make him seem demoralised?

jimmypickle

Post by jimmypickle »

Covalent wrote:I haven't got that feeling at all. How is a video stating "I am coming back for the win." supposed to make him seem demoralised?
Because most drivers are cautiously confident, Nico straight up said a number of times that he's going to come back at Lewis hard, I understand it may just be confidence, but I get the impression he's lacking the optimism he had in Aus and is feeling he has to do well in order to feel better about his chances for the WDC.

moby

Post by moby »

But He is leading the title points. He knows things go in swings and roundabouts and he is likely to outscore Lewis over the next 2 or 3 races and there will be nothing in it.
Too soon to give up yet

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Completely the opposite I would have said. Even more determined. Put enough pressure on Lewis in qualifying to force him into a mistake; and capable of passing Lewis on track when Lewis is at the top of his game. Just couldnt make the final pass stick.
If he can take one win from the next three races he will go into race seven still leading the championship. Not a bad place to be.

RickM

Post by RickM »

No.

/thread

benmc

Post by benmc »

jimmypickle wrote:After Lewis' fantastic racing against Nico in both Bahrain and Malaysia, as well as Nico's post-race interviews in Bahrain, I am getting the idea that maybe Nico isn't feeling as confident as he was at the beginning of the season. As a few have already said, It is almost like he knows that in the the same car, Lewis will come out on top. He also posted a video a few days stating that "I am coming back for the win."

I don't think he's feeling demoralised, just embarrassed. Given the way the safety car played into his hands in Bahrain, he has no excuse for not winning that race. He was the faster driver on the day, and he had the tyre advantage. Lewis taught him a lesson in racecraft, and I think he knows it.

Lewis winning that race was something of an insult to Nico's ability as a racing driver. Now, things are personal for Nico. The hurt you saw on his face in some of those Bahrain interviews will transform into extreme motivation. That's not to say Nico wasn't motivated before; but I'm sure now he is more desperate than ever to prove himself.
I don't follow F1 so I don't know what I'm talking about

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

Covalent wrote:I haven't got that feeling at all. How is a video stating "I am coming back for the win." supposed to make him seem demoralised?

I suggest you go back and rewatch every race/quali session we have had so far.

You will see Nico isn't happy, his face says it all after 2 races this season. Twice he has been outraced and out done by Lewis and even though he had better tyres after the SC he should have had Lewis but didn't make it stick.

Your team mate is always the target and when you finally are in a car that is capable of winning races and qualifying 1st you know you must take that shot because it doesn't always last. Nico's face really did say it all that he isn't happy that Lewis is beating him, his confidence will have taken a punch.

He was already looking ahead for the next race and if he doesn't beat Lewis in china I think we will start seeing a different Nico.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Teddy007 wrote:

I suggest you go back and rewatch every race/quali session we have had so far.

You will see Nico isn't happy, his face says it all after 2 races this season. Twice he has been outraced and out done by Lewis and even though he had better tyres after the SC he should have had Lewis but didn't make it stick.

Your team mate is always the target and when you finally are in a car that is capable of winning races and qualifying 1st you know you must take that shot because it doesn't always last. Nico's face really did say it all that he isn't happy that Lewis is beating him, his confidence will have taken a punch.

He was already looking ahead for the next race and if he doesn't beat Lewis in china I think we will start seeing a different Nico.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think I'll be able to.

AnRs

Post by AnRs »

Why? He's driving a car 2-3 sec faster than anyone but Lewis, isn't that what they all want?
He also beat Lewis in qualifying in Bahrain, a step forward from the race Before, have a look at Lewis face after that.

If Nico would have done to Lewis in the first corner what Lewis did to him later he would have won IMO.

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Frankly the only time I doubted Rosberd was when he made those bold statements when Schumacher joined the Merc. I thought he was being very overconfident when he said racing against 7 time world champion is no big deal and he is sure he can beat him.
Then after seeing him that year I knew that he is the real deal. I wont look too much into his post race reaction. He does not look like he is afraid of going against anyone out there. In fact I think in a dominant car like this he has ability to beat Hamilton over entire season now.

bourbon19

Post by bourbon19 »

Demoralized by Lewis? No.

GPG

Post by GPG »

jimmypickle wrote:After Lewis' fantastic racing against Nico in both Bahrain and Malaysia, as well as Nico's post-race interviews in Bahrain, I am getting the idea that maybe Nico isn't feeling as confident as he was at the beginning of the season. As a few have already said, It is almost like he knows that in the the same car, Lewis will come out on top. He also posted a video a few days stating that "I am coming back for the win."

It is demoralising when you're beaten by your teammate while you have a strategy advantage after the safety car. On the other hand, this was only one race and he only lost seven points to Hamilton. Rosberg is in the lead of the championship and I don't see any reason why he would feel bad about it.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition: 10th (2014); 8th (2015)

PF1 Pick 3 Competition: 1st (2014); 1st (2015)

silkjet

Post by silkjet »

I think Rosberg makes less mistakes than Hamilton. That quality will help Rosberg to keep the points close.

sandman1347

Post by sandman1347 »

Rosberg doesn't seem demoralized at all. For the first time in his career he has a car capable of winning a championship! I guess the OP doesn't quite grasp the magnitude of that fact. Not every driver has that opportunity at some point in their career and a couple of years ago, it looked like Nico might never have it.

He knows he's got a massive challenge to beat Lewis but I think he has already had time to process that; having been teamed with Lewis last season. I don't think he's demoralized at all.

lamo

Post by lamo »

After Malaysia? Yes.
After Bahrain? No.

He can beat Lewis this year in a race and in qualifying,the first evidence of that was Bahrain.

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

lamo wrote:After Malaysia? Yes.
After Bahrain? No.

He can beat Lewis this year in a race and in qualifying,the first evidence of that was Bahrain.

It was Lewis who won though.
#KeepFightingMichael

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

I see just the opposite. Beneath the pleasant exterior is a determined and seasoned very competitive and confident driver. In the past he has faced all manner of "character building" exercises, from dealing with the abuse and insults from Webber to the avalanche of belief that Schumacher would wipe his boots on him. Yet he stands strong, and proves he can race with the best. In Bahrain, he took the fight to Hamilton, and it took infinite confidence to battle your team mate that hard and close, while under the strict instructions not to take him out.

If I was in his shoes, I would be saying to myself, "I can take him on at his own game, and I was just one blocked pass away from beating him".

pubpokerplayer

Post by pubpokerplayer »

Or he will be telling himself 'Everything played in to ny hands and I still couldn't beat him'

lamo

Post by lamo »

MistaVega23 wrote:
After Bahrain? No.

Big picture is that he can beat him. Australia we had no idea and Malaysia he was miles off. That bodes better for the rest of the season than say.. Lewis doing another Malaysia on him, but Lewis then having another spark plug failure late on and Rosberg winning in a Mercedes 1-2. Sure Nico would have won, but he would be thinking, twice he has blitzed me. Its a matter of time before I lose WDC lead.

Now he can think, I can beat him and win this WDC and Lewis has not made a massive step with the 2014 car.

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

lamo wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
After Bahrain? No.

Big picture is that he can beat him. Australia we had no idea and Malaysia he was miles off. That bodes better for the rest of the season than say.. Lewis doing another Malaysia on him, but Lewis then having another spark plug failure late on and Rosberg winning in a Mercedes 1-2. Sure Nico would have won, but he would be thinking, twice he has blitzed me. Its a matter of time before I lose WDC lead.

Now he can think, I can beat him and win this WDC and Lewis has not made a massive step with the 2014 car.

I see it the other way round, Nico should have beaten Lewis in Bahrain. But he didn't. Granted, he was closer to him than at Sepang, but had it been Lewis on the softs and Nico defending then I'm 99% certain that Lewis would have gone by within two laps of the safety car coming in.

It's close, for sure, but when it comes down to who can extract the maximum from both the car and himself, I think Lewis has the edge.
#KeepFightingMichael

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

Personally, I can't wait for China to see the conclusions Nico has drawn from Bahrain!

Perhaps he is demoralised, or perhaps he has decided to drive as aggressively as Lewis.

Only time will tell.

lamo

Post by lamo »

Until Bahrain, Nico had been out qualified twice and out race once. That is all we knew.
Now after Bahrain, he knows he can out qualify and beat Lewis. This car is meant to be a lot more suited to Lewis, so it could have been he began to dominant Nico this year. This is not the case, evident by Bahrain.

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

MistaVega23 wrote:
lamo wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
After Bahrain? No.

I see it the other way round, Nico should have beaten Lewis in Bahrain. But he didn't. Granted, he was closer to him than at Sepang, but had it been Lewis on the softs and Nico defending then I'm 99% certain that Lewis would have gone by within two laps of the safety car coming in.

It's close, for sure, but when it comes down to who can extract the maximum from both the car and himself, I think Lewis has the edge.

But its only an edge. If Lewis had another DNF he would have to beat Rosberg 6-0 just to lead the championship. As I said elsewhere one more DNF for Lewis and Nico could go into the last race 14-4 down and still have a chance of the championship. So Nico cannot afford to be demoralised. And I dont think he will be.
What could change the game is if Vettel/RB (for example) get their act together and take points away from one or the other of them.

pauldstar

Post by pauldstar »

Was he disappointed? Yes. Demoralised? No! Lewis won't win all wheel to wheel battles between them (doubt it anyway), and neither will Nico. Making assumptions after three races feels too premature, and has probably been done by fans too eager to draw conclusions. Can he beat Lewis over the course of the season? Will Lewis finish higher than 16points above Nico this year? No idea, but this year certainly looks like drama...and I Love Drama :smug:

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

True, it's too early to draw conclusions, but Lewis only lost pole in Bahrain because he locked up at turn one.

Only time will tell!
#KeepFightingMichael

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

benmc wrote:

I don't think he's feeling demoralised, just embarrassed. Given the way the safety car played into his hands in Bahrain, he has no excuse for not winning that race. He was the faster driver on the day, and he had the tyre advantage. Lewis taught him a lesson in racecraft, and I think he knows it.

Lewis winning that race was something of an insult to Nico's ability as a racing driver. Now, things are personal for Nico. The hurt you saw on his face in some of those Bahrain interviews will transform into extreme motivation. That's not to say Nico wasn't motivated before; but I'm sure now he is more desperate than ever to prove himself.

Well said!

Now we will see what is Nico made of.
The end is near

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

I feel that Rosberg is somewhat underrated... if e.g. Alonso (or Vettel, Kimi or perhaps even Hulkenberg) were in Rosberg's position as Hamilton's teammate, and the races had unfolded exactly like they have between Nico and Lewis, I feel that the majority of this forum would sing equal praises for both drivers, and indeed see the performances of Alonso being much better than they do right now with Rosberg. Hard to explain what I mean but maybe someone understand what I mean.

LKS1

Post by LKS1 »

Covalent wrote:I feel that Rosberg is somewhat underrated... if e.g. Alonso (or Vettel, Kimi or perhaps even Hulkenberg) were in Rosberg's position as Hamilton's teammate, and the races had unfolded exactly like they have between Nico and Lewis, I feel that the majority of this forum would sing equal praises for both drivers, and indeed see the performances of Alonso being much better than they do right now with Rosberg. Hard to explain what I mean but maybe someone understand what I mean.

I hope you're right, but I think Nico is now over-rated 'cos he's close to Lewis.

Let's not forget that most would have placed Lewis behind Seb/Alonso and in the same strata as Kimi - until this season. But now he's in by far the best car, Lewis reputation has suddenly increased - and the same has happened to Nico.

ToniWolf

Post by ToniWolf »

moby wrote:But He is leading the title points. He knows things go in swings and roundabouts and he is likely to outscore Lewis over the next 2 or 3 races and there will be nothing in it.
Too soon to give up yet

This assumption may be correct. However, can i ask what makes you think that it is so likely.?

lamo

Post by lamo »

ToniWolf wrote:
moby wrote:But He is leading the title points. He knows things go in swings and roundabouts and he is likely to outscore Lewis over the next 2 or 3 races and there will be nothing in it.
Too soon to give up yet

This assumption may be correct. However, can i ask what makes you think that it is so likely.?

Nico is due some bad luck... Lewis has had a DNF and a badly timed SC that should have cost him a win. Plain sailing for Nico so far.

Alaaddin

Post by Alaaddin »

lamo wrote:...Nico is due some bad luck... Lewis has had a DNF and a badly timed SC that should have cost him a win. Plain sailing for Nico so far.
:frown:
109_6 For you is your faith, and for me, my faith.

Alaaddin

Post by Alaaddin »

benmc wrote:Now, things are personal for Nico. The hurt you saw on his face in some of those Bahrain interviews will transform into extreme motivation.
Hopefully.
Hopeful.
Hope.

COME ON Rosberg! Show how it should be done.

Alaaddin

Post by Alaaddin »

LKS1 wrote:.... but I think Nico is now over-rated 'cos he's close to Lewis.

.... But now he's in by far the best car, Lewis reputation has suddenly increased - and the same has happened to Nico.
This is what it is. I STRONGLY believe Hulkenberg is better than both of them and also even Kimi/Alo/RoGro too (My opinion only :D). Button and Perez are slightly underrated too. When one driver drives race-winning cars EVERY season at least half of the races, then his/her reputation becomes bulletproof.

Unfortunately, Jenson learned this fact through thick and thin.

flavio81

Post by flavio81 »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
benmc wrote:

Well said!

Now we will see what is Nico made of.

He's made of 100% pure, die-hard "Keke Rosberg"-brand genes and thus he can't be demoralized at all. The fact that he looks like Britney Spears is just a clever way of stealthing his immense mental strength. He will bounce back like a norse God and grow a mustache while singing "No more 'Mr.Nice Guy' "
Last edited by flavio81 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaz986

Post by chaz986 »

No Nico is getting the gauge of Lewis and he's just suming up what he's in for and I think he is doing fine, he has the pace and skill just needs to be a bit more rude with some of his moves as Lewis has been and I think he will be, this is his chance and moment to be a champ I dont think he would consider throwing that away and I dont think the team will say anything if the WCC looks to be coming home eather way no matter which one wins the season if it stay's in the same vain as the last race then its one for the history books and both will be considered greater for it, could be one hell of a season! 8)

F1creep

Post by F1creep »

I don't think Nico is demoralized. He would have looked into Lewis's past and seen the presence of some erratic driving. These erratic bouts have cost Lewis in the past and I have a feeling Nico is looking for a way to bring them back. Despite his aggression in Bahrain I have little doubt that Nico is playing the long game, more than Lewis is anyway. He knows now he can closely match Lewis for pace. Lewis has that little bit extra but he is also more prone to mistakes. This should be a great battle.

stevey

Post by stevey »

he wont be feeling demoralized yet, he's still got that lovely cushion of a dnf that lewis suffered in the first race. it will take lewis 2 more wins to be on equal terms.

I do believe he will be demoralized if Lewis actually takes the next two races and they are racing each other throughout.

Its never really mattered as much as it does now to beat your team mate because the victor will be wdc. Nicos never really had that pressure and I think if things start going wrong for him dnf's etc then he will self implode or lash out.

F1Krof

Post by F1Krof »

It's interesting. I don't think he's demoralized, he's rather dazzled to see Lewis in such form. China should be interesting, both Lewis and Nico go well at this track historically.