FIA to reconsider double points

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
hydra

FIA to reconsider double points

Post by hydra »

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/92 ... ble-points

After the initial reaction, everyone I knew thought it was a stupid, manipulative rule, and now, after only 3 races they are saying they had a meeting to scrap it. I am sorry to say Formula 1 is a joke, you can still see racing, but the rest of the politics and their attempts to manipulate championship is ridiculous.

Could have been introduced due the Red Bull's dominance, but now that Mercedes has practically already won ( I don't believe other teams will catch up to Mercedes to be able to regularly place themselves ahead), and I'm predicting that the Drivers Championship will probably be over by then. All it takes is a couple of DNF for either driver, and the other one has won, provided he doesn't have DNFs

Why introduce this rule? Why then talk about scrapping it before we have even seen a race with double points? This is the FIA admitting they had made a mistake with that rule, but I can understand how Red Bull would not agree to remove it for this season, this is purely the FIA's fault.

Anyone agree? It is sad how they are allowed to do so much to F1, it should always be about racing, and that means, cars going fast, fast, fast and everything should be decided out on track, rather than all this waiting for midnight to find out what the Official Result is on race day,,,,

Saabjock

Re: FIA to reconsider double points

Post by Saabjock »

Double points was the most "stupid" idea in recent times.
It's not like the FIA didn't hear from fans and teams alike before implementing.
If two teams are consistent throughout the season, all it would take is one car issue at that final race to seal the WDC.
How is that not influencing the results?
I hate any action which can potentially skew the results. This is one.

jrwb6e

Post by jrwb6e »

While they're at it, get rid of the limited fuel flow per second and engine homologation rules.

RickM

Post by RickM »

Pathetic dickheads.

Sorry but it had to be said. We're all thinking it. No other sporting body handles it's rules in such a peaky way. "Heres a new rule - we've all agreed it is awesome and now its fixed and can not be changed"..."Oh wait...we changed our minds".

They do this crap way too often. They are as inconsistent as the race stewards at handing out penalties.

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

Saabjock wrote:Double points was the most "stupid" idea in recent times.
It's not like the FIA didn't hear from fans and teams alike before implementing.
If two teams are consistent throughout the season, all it would take is one car issue at that final race to seal the WDC.
How is that not influencing the results?
I hate any action which can potentially skew the results. This is one.

Yea, I did a bit of a 'back of a fag packet' calculation. Hamilton could have one more mechanical DNF, win 14 GPs to Rosbergs 4; and still lose the championship at the last race.
If Rosberg has 2 more DNFs than Hamilton; a similar situation occurs.

chaz986

Post by chaz986 »

The only up for the FIA is that they seen how dumb f8k it was as a rule and scraped it, but it dose make you wonder what there ability is beyond being pickle's and thinking F1 is there pet formula to be messed with as they see fit.

BP1

Post by BP1 »

They've come to the realization that the title might come down to Hamilton and Rosberg, at which point one of them will likely get screwed by the double points system in the final race, which will be a great injustice. This rule has to be scrapped.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Good the sooner this happens the better.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

BP1 wrote:They've come to the realization that the title might come down to Hamilton and Rosberg, at which point one of them will likely get screwed by the double points system in the final race, which will be a great injustice. This rule has to be scrapped.

Or they've realised they no longer have to hobble Vettel because Renault did it for them...

... :twisted:
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

Everyone and their dog knows it was stupid in the first place, the fact that it now appears not to be needed just adds insult to injury – There's no saving face on this one FIA! Just get rid of it, admit you were wrong, and we can all forget about this sorry affair.

Herb

Post by Herb »

Whilst I hate the rule. Have you all read the article?

It says the strategy group met before the season started, and couldn't agree to drop it. So it now will not be dropped before the end of this season.

Hopefully they meet again and drop it for 2015.

Blinky McSquinty

Post by Blinky McSquinty »

What a joke. Bernie has this twist added in to boost viewers at the end of the season to make his masters happy, but it takes a unanimous approval by all teams to bin this piece of crap?

Maybe the government of India were correct in labeling Formula One as entertainment instead of a sport.

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

Scrapping talk is for next season. For 2014 the double points is a go. So it will go back to normal next year and honestly that is 1 year too late. We are going to have some drama this year come last race. Few teams losing out on millions of $ because double points give some team chance to sneak ahead of them negating all the hard work other team has done over entire year. Mark my words, it is going to happen. FIA dropped ball big time this year. I fear for teams like Force India or Williams. They could lose out on a constructor place due to this stupid double points thing.

wolfticket

Post by wolfticket »

If they drop it next season and make it a one off it's going to make the end of this season even more of a mess if it is decided by virtue of double points.

I seriously think there will be a genuine (and arguably somewhat valid) split in who is recognised as the worthy champion. At very least the record books will have a rather large asterisk next that year for a lot of people.

The best we can hope for is that it doesn't make a difference, they change it back next season, everyone involved has a long hard look at themselves and then we can forget it ever happened.
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

wolfticket wrote:If they drop it next season and make it a one off it's going to make the end of this season even more of a mess if it is decided by virtue of double points.

I seriously think there will be a genuine (and arguably somewhat valid) split in who is recognised as the worthy champion. At very least the record books will have a rather large asterisk next that year for a lot of people.

The best we can hope for is that it doesn't make a difference, they change it back next season, everyone involved has a long hard look at themselves and then we can forget it ever happened.

Seriously. I think FIA and teams needs to bite bullet and make unprecedented rule change mid season and scrap it right now. With all the negative publicity already around the sport, they really do not want championship marred by double point fiasco.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:What a joke. Bernie has this twist added in to boost viewers at the end of the season to make his masters happy, but it takes a unanimous approval by all teams to bin this piece of crap?

Maybe the government of India were correct in labeling Formula One as entertainment instead of a sport.

It takes that because we are in season. For next year they don't need unanimous approval.
eeee

Amon

Post by Amon »

They knew most of the teams, drivers and fans were against it. They still got ahead with it. Now they see how stupid it is and are already thinking of scrapping it before it takes place. Wel it did happen before that a rule was altered during the season. I remember they had 1 lap qualifying one on Friday and one on Saturday and added the 2 times together to make up the grid. This was soon changed to only 1 qualifying session. I hope this rule gets scrapped. That F1 is so turnipped up at times is mostly because of FIA's incompetence as a ruling body. And well since it was Bernie's idea in the first place his retirement cannot come quick enough now.
F1 fan since 1989

Sutton

Post by Sutton »

As much as i love F1, getting sick and tired of all the politics and rule changes. changing minds, protests, appeals etc.

pathetic. so mickey mouse for a multi-billion pound racing series.

hittheapex

Post by hittheapex »

The irony is that this is arguably the precise type of season it was brought in for.
"Jean Alesi is using the Maginot Line policy-You shall not pass!"-Murray Walker

JohnnyGuitar

Post by JohnnyGuitar »

I've now read quotes from Toto Wolfe and Jean Todt both expressing surprise at the reaction of the fans because they thought it was no big deal.

Either they have their heads so far up their own pickles they have lost all sense of reality or they aren't half as smart as they think they are.

MistaVega23

Post by MistaVega23 »

If they're going to bring in double points, have them for Monaco, Silverstone, Spa and Monza. And while you're at it bring in points for fastest lap and pole position.

Having it solely for Abu Dhabi makes it, well, fairy cakes.
#KeepFightingMichael

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

Worst decision ever to bring it in. The main problem is people not recognising the 'real' champion - I certainly wouldn't if it was decided on double points. I wouldn't be surprised if some drivers didn't have quite the same happiness at winning the WDC if it was won due to the double points system.

I'd love it to be scrapped, but now everyone but Merc really has an agenda to not scrap it I don't see it happening.

hydra

Post by hydra »

I guess we can all agree it's a stupid idea and I know it cannot be scrapped for 2014 as teams like Red Bull have nothing to lose with it.

I for one hope it comes to ruin the last race, and show itself for the farce that it is.
I don't have a preference between the Mercedes driver, so may the best man win, and hopefully, in the fairest way possible...

I have enjoyed this season's 3 races as much as any other 3 races, and look forward to the Merc drivers scrapping against each other. Other fans may like bromance, but I want to see competitiveness and attitude between the competitors, maybe Hamilton wins one more, takes over Rosberg's lead, and then shows him the Vettel number 1 sign to his face....on the podium!

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

Ennis wrote:Worst decision ever to bring it in. The main problem is people not recognising the 'real' champion - I certainly wouldn't if it was decided on double points. I wouldn't be surprised if some drivers didn't have quite the same happiness at winning the WDC if it was won due to the double points system.

I'd love it to be scrapped, but now everyone but Merc really has an agenda to not scrap it I don't see it happening.

I disagree. Senna didn't seem less happy when he won a championship because of a technicality, when Prost should have outscored him. If Vettel had been penalised after Brazil 2012, Alonso wouldn't have been disappointed. these drivers live to win, it doesn't matter haw farcial the ruling is on it.

As for fans, it depends who wins. For example, if Kobayashi won the WDC over Maldonado because of the double points rule, a lot more people would recognise Kamui as the champion. And he will be officially, wether people like it or not.
IV

hydra

Post by hydra »

I agree, they're happy to win, whatever the method, of course, they'd all prefer to be on track but certainly won't complain. As Senna said, "it's a good feeling, isn't it?"

JohnnyGuitar

Post by JohnnyGuitar »

While I'd love to get my hopes up about the prospect of the double points being dropped this season, I'm worried that the old problem of self-interest will scupper the unanimous agreement that is needed.

I can think of at least one team that may think double points in the last race will be a good thing for them and may vote to keep it.

I really hope I'm wrong.

KingOfSpa

Post by KingOfSpa »

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Well, F1 has nowadays lots of rules which aren't so sporty now matter how you look at them...

In 2003, the pointsystem got criticized because Räikkönen lost championship only by 2 points even though he had on victory and Schumacher had six.
So if that was considered unfair, how an earth someone thought that double points would be a goodidea.

hydra

Post by hydra »

it's the FIA's fault that it is so, we can suspect Red Bull is one of the teams not wanting to give up the double points for this season as it could play to their advantage, but it could be some other teams as well, and it would be stupid of Red Bull to agree to give it up so the FIA have to accept it.

At least it'll be one race, one season and then the whole mistake will hopefully be done with

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

bernie wants double points, now...not so much

no to cost cutting, now....another meeting on it

hundreds of millions spent on a new engine formula.....have to make them louder/no we don't

luca to propose changes......one of the best races in the last five years occurs

driver weight discussion....todt sees no issue with a driver passing out

tires....change 'em, don't change 'em, change 'em

it's like a rudderless ship !

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

Good, t'was a silly idea.

On the other hand, sports governing body in "misguided decision making" shocker. For those who think this sort of thing (I mean general poor decisions being made by those in charge) is an F1 problem, I challenge anyone to show me any sport that's perfectly run by it's governing bodies. I don't think we have it THAT bad.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

fasteddie

Post by fasteddie »

Let's get it straight ....

Double points was NOT the FIA's idea .... It was one of Bernie's senile ideas to "spice things up" ... as was his plan to have water sprinklers at the circuits .... as was his briefing to Pirelli to supply "gumball" tyres .... as is his continued opposition to V6 turbo power ....

The biggest danger to the future of F1 is ..... BERNIE !

It was Bernie who roped in Di Montezemolo to Bahrain so they could cuddle up together & hold ANTI-F1 press briefings ...... CVC ought to sack him pronto ....

The FIA are quite sensibly planning to squash the double points idea ....

AravJ

Post by AravJ »

I am not in favour of double points and will be happy if they scrap it.
But I am suspicious of where all this reconsideration is comming from.
Double points have not been a raised issue for a while now. It has been more about engines, reliablity, fuel economy, non-competitive, and noise.
Is it becuase Vettel/RBR are not leading the championship, and with the way RBR are progressing the rule could actually have a reverse effect of what they intended??

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

AravJ wrote:I am not in favour of double points and will be happy if they scrap it.
Double points have not been a raised issue for a while now. It has been more about engines, reliablity, fuel economy, non-competitive, and noise.
Is it becuase Vettel/RBR are not leading the championship, and with the way RBR are progressing the rule could actually have a reverse effect of what they intended??

No. Most likely it is because people have realised how annoyed the fans are. I know a lot of people will often not listen, but a lot of people including the teams will. Believe someone on here commented that Toto said he was surprised at the fan backlash as he didn't think it was a big deal - could well be the teams, having been in the eye of the storm to an extent, now seeing what others think and pushing back on it a bit.

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Sorry for the OT, but I just noticed the OP's username and had to do this:

Heil Hydra

matzy

Post by matzy »

Ennis wrote:
AravJ wrote:I am not in favour of double points and will be happy if they scrap it.

No. Most likely it is because people have realised how annoyed the fans are. I know a lot of people will often not listen, but a lot of people including the teams will. Believe someone on here commented that Toto said he was surprised at the fan backlash as he didn't think it was a big deal - could well be the teams, having been in the eye of the storm to an extent, now seeing what others think and pushing back on it a bit.

I would laugh my a$$ off if Vettel won the championship this season, from going into this "double-pointer" last race the runner-up. Not because I want Vettel to win (as I don't) ... but because this silly change could just as easily keep RBR/Vettel dominating the driver's championship, rather than making it harder for them/him. By the end of the season you can bet that RBR will have moved their car on significantly and arguably more so than their competitors.

I think there is some truth in the suggestion that if RBR were still dominating this season, this rule change may not have been revisited.

hydra

Post by hydra »

it's just a username, take it easy :)

I agree about Vettel, there would probably be some kind of petition to have his WDC taken away this year if he somehow won it :)

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

hydra wrote:it's just a username, take it easy :)

Oh I was taking it easy, just a bit of fun.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Covalent wrote:Sorry for the OT, but I just noticed the OP's username and had to do this:

Heil Hydra

Haha, brilliant for all who've seen Cap 2!

hydra

Post by hydra »

What's the joke if you don't mind me asking? I'm not British

JohnnyGuitar

Post by JohnnyGuitar »

hydra wrote:What's the joke if you don't mind me asking? I'm not British

I am British and I haven't a clue what they're on about either.