Marussia Motors in liquidation

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Denorth

Marussia Motors in liquidation

Post by Denorth »

Marussia Motors is in liquidation process. This company was a power behind Marussia F1 Team.

Two variants. Owner of Marussia motors (Russian rich guy) would continue supporting F1 team. Other variant - he is selling his team.
We are worse than animals, we hunger for the kill
We put our faith in maniacs the triumph of the will
We kill for money, wealth and lust, for this we should be damned
We are disease upon the world, brotherhood of man

RaggedMan

Re: Marussia Motors in liquidation

Post by RaggedMan »

It will depend a lot on how closely the team as a business is tied to the car company.

When VM was having his issues a year or two ago they were saying the team was safe because although it was owned by him the two business were not parts of the same parent company. Or something to that effect.
{Insert clever sig line here}

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Can we get a source for this?
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!

Jeepkhana

Post by Jeepkhana »

Denorth wrote:Two variants. Owner of Marussia motors (Russian rich guy) would continue supporting F1 team. Other variant - he is selling his team.

Either he supports the team......or doesn't. Brilliant stuff there.... :uhoh:

Denorth

Post by Denorth »

Denorth

Post by Denorth »

Jeepkhana wrote:
Denorth wrote:Two variants. Owner of Marussia motors (Russian rich guy) would continue supporting F1 team. Other variant - he is selling his team.

Either he supports the team......or doesn't. Brilliant stuff there.... :uhoh:

yep, that's the issue with any projects that are financed by one or two men and in reality are nothing but vanity things. Despite being a good idea.
Considering that in accordance to Russian guys behind whole Marussia project the F1 team was a marketing tool to promote brand Marussia, we are likely to see F1 team being sold.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Denorth wrote:
Tufty wrote:Can we get a source for this?

not a problem

http://motor.ru/news/2014/04/07/marussia/

http://www.gazeta.ru/auto/2014/04/07_a_5983153.shtml

Thanks.

Looks like the team will be sold tbh, as you said the team is a marketing tool and nothing more. Somehow I can't see another sponsor taking it over, so we'll have to hope there's someone out there who wants to come in without the rigorous FIA vetting process... Maybe Stefan GP? *runs*
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!

Denorth

Post by Denorth »

that's exactly the name that has been mentioned already :)

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Denorth wrote:that's exactly the name that has been mentioned already :)

Yeah but it's still the most unwanted for a lot of people. Short of another Kolles-run outfit.

robberred1993

Post by robberred1993 »

Well John Booth was planning on running as Manor Motorsport before Virgin, could return to that?

Volantary

Post by Volantary »

That sucks, hope the F1 team manage to find another sponsor. I don't think Manor have nearly enough money to run it on their own.

Maybe Stafanovich in F1 isn't looking so silly now?
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy

j man

Post by j man »

Tufty wrote:
Denorth wrote:that's exactly the name that has been mentioned already :)

Yeah but it's still the most unwanted for a lot of people. Short of another Kolles-run outfit.

Is there anything wrong with Kolles? It was under his leadership that HRT got the closest to looking like a respectable racing team.

egnat69

Post by egnat69 »

Volantary wrote:That sucks, hope the F1 team manage to find another sponsor. I don't think Manor have nearly enough money to run it on their own.

i'm surprised no one has thought about ferrari (or fiat in this case) doing a redbull and running the team as alfa romeo...
How to fix F1:
1. Stop seeking consensuses on rules - it will always turn out to be the least favourible option for everyone involved...
2. Listen to the fans - there are plenty of them and they have good ideas...

Amon

Post by Amon »

egnat69 wrote:
Volantary wrote:That sucks, hope the F1 team manage to find another sponsor. I don't think Manor have nearly enough money to run it on their own.

i'm surprised no one has thought about ferrari (or fiat in this case) doing a redbull and running the team as alfa romeo...

Yeah and when Caterham decides to pull the plug they can buy that too a run a third team as Maserati :)

Well Marussia was already trying to merge with Sauber before the season started. We will have to see what happens but I'll see a name change in the near future if they do not cease to exist. The question is who wants to pump money in the team. It didn't work as Virgin and it doesn't work as Marussia. I expect them to struggle even more if in 2015 2 new teams would join the circus unless they are taken over by a manufacturer.
F1 fan since 1989

5ANDYm

Post by 5ANDYm »

Stafanovich would want to bring the Toyota chassis so may be a outright advantage next season regardless of what team him and his backers back
People have short memory's these days and want spoon fed, Do your own research.

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

5ANDYm wrote:Stafanovich would want to bring the Toyota chassis so may be a outright advantage next season regardless of what team him and his backers back

That Toyota must be what, 4 years old now? Would have absolutely no relevance whatsoever to next years car.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

5ANDYm

Post by 5ANDYm »

Flash2k11 wrote:
5ANDYm wrote:Stafanovich would want to bring the Toyota chassis so may be a outright advantage next season regardless of what team him and his backers back

That Toyota must be what, 4 years old now? Would have absolutely no relevance whatsoever to next years car.

not really each car is a evolution of last years car and they have have been trying to get in to f1 going two years as part of the deal with toyota was that Stefan Grand Prix also rented private office space at Toyota Motorsport so who knows what happened in the run-up to 2010, it stands to reason if they had spent a shed load of cash developing it to bring it to what would be 2014 specs on paper, lets be honest it would be much better shape that there current chassis could easily jump into the midfield
People have short memory's these days and want spoon fed, Do your own research.

Jezick

Post by Jezick »

egnat69 wrote:

Luca wants customer cars not a second team.....

Jezick

Post by Jezick »

5ANDYm wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

not really each car is a evolution of last years car and they have have been trying to get in to f1 going two years as part of the deal with toyota was that Stefan Grand Prix also rented private office space at Toyota Motorsport so who knows what happened in the run-up to 2010, it stands to reason if they had spent a shed load of cash developing it to bring it to what would be 2014 specs on paper, lets be honest it would be much better shape that there current chassis could easily jump into the midfield

No it would not! Ignoring all the rest, the 2014 regs make the Toyota chassis a museum piece at best. New power train, crash tests, aero the list is endless over 4 years. Even Dallara will manage to design something more relevant for next year.

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

The Toyota would be so hopelessly out of date by now.

egnat69

Post by egnat69 »

Jezick wrote:
egnat69 wrote:

Luca wants customer cars not a second team.....

luca also wants 3 cars per team... buying marussia would be as close as it gets... plus, he is part of the FIAT board, and some of those brands over there could use a bit more exposure, tbh...
How to fix F1:
1. Stop seeking consensuses on rules - it will always turn out to be the least favourible option for everyone involved...
2. Listen to the fans - there are plenty of them and they have good ideas...

Placid

Post by Placid »

I wonder if Andretti Autosport may get involved.

huggybear

Post by huggybear »

Placid wrote:I wonder if Andretti Autosport may get involved.

That would be a huge step up for any Indycar team except Ganassi or Penske, and even they would think very hard about.

I wonder if Russian Time would consider dropping iSport in GP2 and inheriting Manor?

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Toby. wrote:The Toyota would be so hopelessly out of date by now.

Quite.

Not a single chassis was carried over by any of the teams from last year, not even Caterham or Marussia. The new rules meant the teams had to completely redesign all their cars and all the components in it. They couldn't use a 2010 Toyota chassis even if they wanted to.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Volantary

Post by Volantary »

huggybear wrote:

That would be a huge step up for any Indycar team except Ganassi or Penske, and even they would think very hard about.

I wonder if Russian Time would consider dropping iSport in GP2 and inheriting Manor?

What's happening with Russian Time since the owner died? I saw they dropped their GP3 plans and are still running in GP2 this year but with a Russian pay driver (and Mitch Evans, don't know what his financials are like), as opposed to two good paid drivers like last year. Tragic story, I was really behind them last season and by all accounts the owner died through no fault of his own after doing a lot of good for GP2 and some charity work through sidepod sponsorship space.
Official Kamui Kobayashi Fanboy

owenmahamilton

Post by owenmahamilton »

I doubt it seeing as they have entered a team in Formula E.

RickM

Post by RickM »

Laura23 wrote:
Toby. wrote:The Toyota would be so hopelessly out of date by now.

Quite.

Not a single chassis was carried over by any of the teams from last year, not even Caterham or Marussia. The new rules meant the teams had to completely redesign all their cars and all the components in it. They couldn't use a 2010 Toyota chassis even if they wanted to.

Just a thought...does the Toyota chassis still even exist? I mean, Pirelli had one of them, they then sold it, then IIRC a failed team entry bought it, and they sold it. Then it vanished.

It's probably sitting in someones garage collecting dust. The second one you'd assume (if it was ever actually completed in a working state) would be in the hands of Toyota somewhere.

But yeah, either way it'd be useless now. I mean, it was before we had DRS, new engines, new ride heights, etc. Even if you were to take just the crash structure it'd be useless as it'd be the wrong shape with the new rules.

huggybear

Post by huggybear »

Volantary wrote:
huggybear wrote:

What's happening with Russian Time since the owner died? I saw they dropped their GP3 plans and are still running in GP2 this year but with a Russian pay driver (and Mitch Evans, don't know what his financials are like), as opposed to two good paid drivers like last year. Tragic story, I was really behind them last season and by all accounts the owner died through no fault of his own after doing a lot of good for GP2 and some charity work through sidepod sponsorship space.

They initially had Motopark running their GPx teams, but when Igor Mazepa died, Motopark reconsidered their position (or were told then weren't getting RT backing anymore), and they've now got iSport International running their GP2 team.
It might just be that Russian Time are re-evaluating the use of their money, or Motopark/iSport were more responsible for the day to day running of the team, and iSport can't afford to pay drivers.