Re: Maldonado. race ban???

Post by AFCTUJacko »

Hopfeully.

And not before time
Leave me alone.....I know what I'm doing

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

He should be punished for cause rather than consequence. If that car didn't flip would we be calling for a race ban?

smiddlehurst

Post by smiddlehurst »

Should be but not just because it was dangerous. There was just never ever going to be a gap there, could only ever end in a crash. Not the first time either, he just never seems to learn that this isn't touring cars and you can't simply bash people out the way.

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Ennis wrote:He should be punished for cause rather than consequence. If that car didn't flip would we be calling for a race ban?

Yes. You would. It was not far off a t bone.

I expect the black flag in the next 5 laps.

CC78AMG

Post by CC78AMG »

10. Stop/go penatly for maldonaldo

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Yes.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Five place grid drop for China and just three penalty points. Away with it again really. Getting sad now.

Mr.Wojo

Post by Mr.Wojo »

This guy is a complete goof, I don't know how he was able to retain a seat in F-1. In almost every race he does something stupid.

wolfticket

Post by wolfticket »

He outbraked himself trying to make the apex on the first corner on cold tyres and made contact with another car. That's not a race ban.

He shouldn't be given a harsher penalty because:
a) The contact was such that the car flipped (which is basically bad luck)
b) He's called Pastor Maldonado.

I'm sure he'll get points on his licence and the whole point is that if he does it on a regular basis he will get a ban.
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

I might be in a minority here (and I've been an ardent critic of him at times) but I don't think what happened today was THAT bad. He's just come out of the pits so is on cold tyres, he's unsighted and feeding into the first corner and there was a massive closing speed between himself and Guttierez. Short of stamping on the brakes to get completely out of it, I can't see he's got many options. He can't make his car disappear from the apex of the corner.
Last edited by Pedrosa_4_Ever on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

OutKast

Post by OutKast »

I'm disappointed in him.

He was doing a great job staying close in the points for Lotus and everything, but just the fact of why he made that move. I just do not understand, maybe he thought Estaban saw him.

5 points on the license and a 10 place grid drop is fair for me IMO. I thought this would have been a step in the right direction for cleaning his act. Just freaking need stay out of trouble.

I'm confused by this incident. I just don't know how this happened, but he has to clean the act up.
Felipe Massa fan/supporter since 2002 and counting!

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

DaveStebbins

Post by DaveStebbins »

Does Maldonado think the Saubers are sponsored by Target? Because he has been targeting them for years, now.

deepblue12

Post by deepblue12 »

Guys a lunatic, always has been always will be. Unfortunately Money talks!!!

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

I'm surprised they didn't dump all 12 on him at once.
Winter is Coming

Prema

Post by Prema »

Why be upset with Maldonado? He only tested the new nose, wether he would stay grounded in the case of touching a car in front or not. And it worked perfectly fine! He didn't go airborne!

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

That was nasty incident today. I was also surprised by how easily the sauber flipped. Must have been hard impact just in front of the back tyres for car to climb and flip at the same time. This needed race ban to be honest for Maldonado. Just 3 points and grid drop seems unfair for such incident.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

Harsh. They just had bad luck because the two wheels collided and the accident looked spectacular, but its harsh to give a race ban for that.

Bianchi did worse than him I'd say (two stupid moves, not just one)

hd23

Post by hd23 »

If not because of his fluke win and his oil money, he would most likely not be in F1 anymore. He would have been banned from F1 a few seasons ago if the FIA had any sense. Every season he seemingly causes a bad accident by his bone head driving. He's one of the worse drivers to be in F1 in a long time.

I think it's an inherent problem with him and his driving style.

stringy

Post by stringy »

was there ever any replay of the Vergne incident at the start?

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

I think the anger at Maldonado is the fact he keeps getting himself involved with rather dangerous incidents like today. It isn't a one off thing.

RunningMan

Post by RunningMan »

hd23 wrote:If not because of his fluke win and his oil money, he would most likely not be in F1 anymore. He would have been banned from F1 a few seasons ago if the FIA had any sense. Every season he seemingly causes a bad accident by his bone head driving. He's one of the worse drivers to be in F1 in a long time.

I think it's an inherent problem with him and his driving style.

If it wasn't for money, he wouldn't be in F1 in the first place
Winter is Coming

Desert Storm

Post by Desert Storm »

I think Lotus might actually be ok with it if he got banned for a few races. Hey, saves money running only one car.

OutKast

Post by OutKast »

nixxxon wrote:Harsh. They just had bad luck because the two wheels collided and the accident looked spectacular, but its harsh to give a race ban for that.

Bianchi did worse than him I'd say (two stupid moves, not just one)

If its not Maldonado, then whomever did it is not an idiot, does not need a ban, or anything else.

Borderline hypocritical.
Felipe Massa fan/supporter since 2002 and counting!

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

slide

Post by slide »

Adrian newy will jump on this submarining

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

take his super license away

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

No way does that deserve a ban. pastor out braked himself on cold tyres. Very easy mistake to make. He should of been banned in after deliberately hitting Perez in Monaco in 2012 though.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

OutKast wrote:If its not Maldonado, then whomever did it is not an idiot, does not need a ban, or anything else.

Borderline hypocritical.

Some penalty for him yes but race ban is too much.
As I said the thing looked dangerous and spectacular because Gutierrez car flipped. Braking a bit too late happens a lot, sometimes drivers avoid collision, sometimes they have a minor collision without much damage and sometimes theres bad luck like this time with Gut/Mal
Last edited by nixxxon on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beanchimp

Post by beanchimp »

stringy wrote:was there ever any replay of the Vergne incident at the start?

Didn't Verge accuse him of trying to kill him ?

I would like to see a replay of that incident, but I guess it was a racing incident as such

I know he was on cold tyres and unsighted but the other car knew he was there and still took the line, not saying Pastor is not at fault, because he clearly was

wolfticket

Post by wolfticket »

Laura23 wrote:I think the anger at Maldonado is the fact he keeps getting himself involved with rather dangerous incidents like today. It isn't a one off thing.

Not disagreeing, but we have the points on licence system for that now.
If he keeps doing it he will get a ban. I don't think you can do it retroactively on reputation now we have a formal system for repeated offences.

Today was careless but not particularly reckless or inherently dangerous. A car flipping like that is always possible if you're unlucky enough to get just the wrong kind of contact.
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

wolfticket wrote:
Laura23 wrote:I think the anger at Maldonado is the fact he keeps getting himself involved with rather dangerous incidents like today. It isn't a one off thing.

Not disagreeing, but we have the points on licence system for that now.
If he keeps doing it he will get a ban. I don't think you can do it retroactively on reputation now we have a formal system for repeated offences.

Today was careless but not particularly reckless or inherently dangerous. A car flipping like that is always possible if you're unlucky enough to get just the wrong kind of contact.

Agree with this. Even the car turning in with the weight shifting would likely have helped it flip.

Davidson showing just now how it was tyre contact rather than submarining that caused it.

Watching the replays it really isn't as bad a move from Maldonado as I thought. Still stupid but not immediate ban stupid. As far as I recall 2013 was a pretty clean year for him so shouldn't be punished just because we all think he's an idiot.

funkymonkey

Post by funkymonkey »

nixxxon wrote:
OutKast wrote:If its not Maldonado, then whomever did it is not an idiot, does not need a ban, or anything else.

Borderline hypocritical.

As I said the thing looked dangerous and spectacular because Gutierrez car flipped. Braking a bit too late happens a lot, sometimes drivers avoid collision, sometimes they have a minor collision without much damage and sometimes theres bad luck like this time with Gut/Mal

Yes, but F1 driver should know this. You dont dive on the inside like that when on cold tyres and when you are that cost. The car who has nose ahead gets that line.

Rosberg tried similar thing but he was not as close as Maldonado was and Hamilton could see he is not going to make the corner. Maldonado on the other hand never got his nose ahead, was never going to get ahead there and still tried that idiotic move. And we are not seeing this for the first time.
I defended this guy over last couple of years, but it is getting ridiculous now.

Schumi4ever

Post by Schumi4ever »

Race ban? Get a court injunction ordering him to not step anywhere within 1km of a F1 car. Jeez.

nixxxon

Post by nixxxon »

funkymonkey wrote:
nixxxon wrote:

Borderline hypocritical.

Yes, but F1 driver should know this. You dont dive on the inside like that when on cold tyres and when you are that cost. The car who has nose ahead gets that line.

Rosberg tried similar thing but he was not as close as Maldonado was and Hamilton could see he is not going to make the corner. Maldonado on the other hand never got his nose ahead, was never going to get ahead there and still tried that idiotic move. And we are not seeing this for the first time.
I defended this guy over last couple of years, but it is getting ridiculous now.

sh*t happens. F1 drivers are not machines, they can do misjudgements and errors. Maldonado braked just a bit too late, he didnt look like trying a crazy move... and also gutierrez did not see him at all and turned completely into him. Probably another driver with more awareness sense would've avoided him.

RickM

Post by RickM »

This. His entire career is littered with stuff like this. Not least a certain incident that left a Marshal with a broken back in Monaco after ignoring yellow.

Put bluntly, the guy's a sugarplum. He just refuses to learn and refuses to accept that HE is the problem.

Toby.

Post by Toby. »

While it was a silly accident, it was just that: an accident. 99 times out of 100 the cars would have made mild contact, perhaps Maldonado's front wing would have broken or Gutierrez would have spun around. Very unfortunate circumstances lead to it being as spectacular as it was.

I'm not saying Maldonado wasn't at fault, but I've seen much stupider moves by other drivers in the last few years that haven't ended up in cars flipping.

Amon

Post by Amon »

That's exactly what I was thinking. Does he need to really kill someone before they ban this guy from F1 totally? This isn't funny any more. Grid drop is just plain riduculous. He is not fighting for big points anyway so that will hurt him little.
F1 fan since 1989

Rote

Post by Rote »

Only recently did I hear about the incidents from his career before F1. Ignoring flags and putting the lives of marshals in danger - he should never have been allowed into F1, let alone be in his fourth season... Some of these incidents are harmless, but some are far more serious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIf-dHbKpFI

I can't remember when it was, but after one of his incidents in 2012 he said that he would do exactly the same thing in the future. That should set off alarm bells for the FIA and for prospective employers as it shows a clear unwillingness to accept fault and make changes, unlike his teammate.

I'm not sure where I stand on a race ban for him. To some extent I agree with what other people have been saying about not applying penalties retrospectively after the introduction of a new system. But when it comes to non-human dangers in the sport, such as the possibility of a horrendous T-bone or a tyre hitting a driver in the face, the organisers rightly think ahead rather than wait for something terrible to happen first. I think they should take the same approach to drivers; if they are obviously a threat to safety in the future, the FIA should not simply wait for them to cause a serious injury.

Ultimately, to pre-empt all of this, the FIA needs to have a more rigid system to stop fundamentally dangerous drivers like Maldonado from getting into F1 in the first place.

beanchimp

Post by beanchimp »

So in all manners of consistency, how does this compare to the unsafe release of Dan last week

Dan gets a stop and go and a 10 place grid drop for his wheel guy not putting the wheel on properly (not Dan's fault directly)

Pastor gets a stop and go and 5 place grid drop for him crashing into another driver

Teddy007

Post by Teddy007 »

Maldonado again.

What he has done in a few short years MSC did in his career and at the later stages suffered for it.

I don't understand why the FIA hasn't done anything or so little.