Confirmed: US team among 2 new teams set for F1 in 2015

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
SpeedyRonzales

Confirmed: US team among 2 new teams set for F1 in 2015

Post by SpeedyRonzales »

Formula One commercial chief Bernie Ecclestone says a U.S. backed team headed by Gene Haas is among two new teams the sport is likely to admit next season.

Speaking on Sunday ahead of the Bahrain Grand Prix, Ecclestone said he had held discussions with the sport's governing body, the FIA, and there was agreement about expanding the grid next season.

Asked about the chances for the Haas-backed team being admitted, Ecclestone said: ''They will be accepted, and we've also accepted another team as well, although whether they'll make it or not is another story'', adding ''I've spoken to (FIA President) Jean Todt and we agreed yesterday.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2014/r ... z2y6OI1MbM

AngusWolfe

Re: Confirmed: US team among 2 new teams set for F1 in 2015

Post by AngusWolfe »

Likely to Admit. if they turn up in Australia, then I'll believe it.
IV

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Being accepted isn't the same as making the grid though. Both teams have a hell of a long way to go yet.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

RickM

Post by RickM »

I'll believe it when I see it. I cant see the second team (Colin Kolles) making it though, and I'd be surprised if the US team makes it.

If either of them do make it, I'd expect to see Caterham and/or Marussia to finally fold and walk away. That, after all is the only reason they are accepting new teams - because there's far too many teams constantly on the verge of collapse. Lotus for example will not exist from next year if they carry on the way they are.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

i wish them the best of luck. The more the merrier in my opinion.

owenmahamilton

Post by owenmahamilton »

There isn't enough time for them to start in 2015, either they were told a while back that they would both be accepted or they won't start until 2016. I read somewhere else that it takes about 9 months just to design a car, then it has to be built, they have to sign 2 possibly 3 drivers, find other team personnel all by next March, I can't see it happening by 2015 to be honest.

foolishyouth

Post by foolishyouth »

owenmahamilton wrote:There isn't enough time for them to start in 2015, either they were told a while back that they would both be accepted or they won't start until 2016. I read somewhere else that it takes about 9 months just to design a car, then it has to be built, they have to sign 2 possibly 3 drivers, find other team personnel all by next March, I can't see it happening by 2015 to be honest.

I think the Haas team has the required facilities to make it for next year. I honestly don't doubt their ability. Much more credible than the USF1 effort a few years ago! I'm sure the Kolles bid involves some stefanGP no hopers so I would happily bet real money on it not happening
My F1 Blog! http://pgf1.co.uk Please let me know what you think!!
Columnist & Writer of the Legends of F1 Series

Please tweet me> @PG-F1

Colinjb

Post by Colinjb »

owenmahamilton wrote:There isn't enough time for them to start in 2015, either they were told a while back that they would both be accepted or they won't start until 2016. I read somewhere else that it takes about 9 months just to design a car, then it has to be built, they have to sign 2 possibly 3 drivers, find other team personnel all by next March, I can't see it happening by 2015 to be honest.

Considering that Lotus/Caterham/1Malaysia managed to do it all in about 5 months I would say that have every chance.

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Bring back 1 car teams. Bring back 18 teams. Bring back pre qualifying. Or allow 30 cars on the grid.

foolishyouth

Post by foolishyouth »

This post from Joe Saward gives a bit more detail about the Gene Haas team

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/01/ ... formula-1/
My F1 Blog! http://pgf1.co.uk Please let me know what you think!!
Columnist & Writer of the Legends of F1 Series

Please tweet me> @PG-F1

j man

Post by j man »

Good news as far as I'm concerned. The more the merrier

moby

Post by moby »

Any news on which engines they use?

OutKast

Post by OutKast »

Haas will make it I'm damned sure of it. I can't wait to see him on the grid representing the US in F1 once again.
Felipe Massa fan/supporter since 2002 and counting!

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Colinjb wrote:

Considering that Lotus/Caterham/1Malaysia managed to do it all in about 5 months I would say that have every chance.

They've been on the back foot ever since as well.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Laura23 wrote:
Colinjb wrote:

But were better than HRT and Virgin who had longer. Regardless they proved that its possible to get an F1 car the grid in 9 months.

Colinjb

Post by Colinjb »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Colinjb wrote:

But were better than HRT and Virgin who had longer. Regardless they proved that its possible to get an F1 car the grid in 9 months.

Speaking of HRT, worth noting that Hass, like them, will be commissioning a chassis from Dallara to get them started. Seeing that Geoff Willis described the engineering level of the Hispania F110 Cosworth as being not reflective of current F1 practice and disappointing even considering it's stuttered development due to cash flow issues then that could be a worry.

hd23

Post by hd23 »

More cars to race in F1 championship B with Marussia and Caterham.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

hd23 wrote:More cars to race in F1 championship B with Marussia and Caterham.

... and Sauber.

Placid

Post by Placid »

RickM wrote:I'll believe it when I see it. I cant see the second team (Colin Kolles) making it though, and I'd be surprised if the US team makes it.

If either of them do make it, I'd expect to see Caterham and/or Marussia to finally fold and walk away. That, after all is the only reason they are accepting new teams - because there's far too many teams constantly on the verge of collapse. Lotus for example will not exist from next year if they carry on the way they are.

If any of these 2 decides to fold, I wonder if Andretti Autosport can pick-up the slack now that Honda is making a return to F1 in 2015.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

Laura23 wrote:Being accepted isn't the same as making the grid though. Both teams have a hell of a long way to go yet.

If they don't make the grid, it means that they probably weren't worth joining F1, so no big lose. This is how I see it.
eeee

Jasko

Post by Jasko »

Colinjb wrote:Speaking of HRT, worth noting that Hass, like them, will be commissioning a chassis from Dallara to get them started. Seeing that Geoff Willis described the engineering level of the Hispania F110 Cosworth as being not reflective of current F1 practice and disappointing even considering it's stuttered development due to cash flow issues then that could be a worry.

Dallara was a contractor, they had a set budget and development plan (which was aborted even before the season) and they had no stake in the team so no reason to take any financial risk themselves. Given that the 2011 car was basically the same design and that they could sometimes take the fight to the Marussia/Virgin that year indicates that the design wasn't as bad as Willis made it sound like.

Also don't forget that Willis had every reason to talk down the car - the constructors weren't on his team (so he wouldn't affect morale by publicly shaming them) and in case they got some good results he could attribute it to the good development work under his guidance. Of course the results didn't come and Willis didn't exactly prove to be the technical genius that would turn it around.

orion_f1

Post by orion_f1 »

RickM wrote:I'll believe it when I see it. I cant see the second team (Colin Kolles) making it though, and I'd be surprised if the US team makes it.

I can see this happening especially if Bernie continues teh polica of only handing out prize money to the top 10 teams. Since all participating teams are paying a premium price to get on the grid to start with and are vetted to a very high level to allow them in in the first place, they all should be getting a share of the revenue

Sutton

Post by Sutton »

wire2004 wrote:Bring back 1 car teams. Bring back 18 teams. Bring back pre qualifying. Or allow 30 cars on the grid.

Bring back 1 car teams. In fact even 3 car teams. Pre Qualifying. But still reckon should be a maximum of 26 cars per race.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

I hope Haas make it, and this 13th team also. Then if neither Caterham nor Marussia leaves we finally have the promised 13 teams.
Organiser of the single most low-tech Robot Wars tournament in history, PM for details!

silkjet

Post by silkjet »

Good news. I am chastened by the USF1 experience. I believed like a dreamer does. I also will believe it when they are on the grid.

Lets hope they don't get Ferrari power.

5ANDYm

Post by 5ANDYm »

after reading what bernie had said hass and the other team may well just buy a team out as the new entries may replace existing teams rather than add to the grid,
People have short memory's these days and want spoon fed, Do your own research.

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

5ANDYm wrote:

after reading what bernie had said hass and the other team may well just buy a team out as the new entries may replace existing teams rather than add to the grid,

Who are we thinking? Caterham and Lotus? Fernandes doesn't seem interested any more, and if things are done in the right order, Enstone could be bought for loose change. Their debts could cause an issue though.
IV

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

wire2004 wrote:Bring back 1 car teams. Bring back 18 teams. Bring back pre qualifying. Or allow 30 cars on the grid.

More like, bring back three car teams. If we had one car per driver then we wouldn't know for sure if the driver, or the car, was good. Having a Ferrari team with 3 top drivers would be something I'm more interested in. Equal cars and let's see who really is the fastest.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

owenmahamilton

Post by owenmahamilton »

AngusWolfe wrote:
5ANDYm wrote:

Who are we thinking? Caterham and Lotus? Fernandes doesn't seem interested any more, and if things are done in the right order, Enstone could be bought for loose change. Their debts could cause an issue though.

I'd rather Haas buy an existing team rather than getting Dallara to build the car for them which was a complete disaster when they built HRT's car for them, I'd think they would be too busy building Indycars anyway.

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

silkjet wrote:Good news. I am chastened by the USF1 experience. I believed like a dreamer does. I also will believe it when they are on the grid.

I was there with you hoping that USF1 would make the grid.

Unfortunately an article I read (on ESPNF1 I think) said that the Haas plan is to use Ferrari power. :?
{Insert clever sig line here}

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

5ANDYm wrote:

On the other hand, you do not need FIA admission to take over an existing team. You can just do it.

silkjet

Post by silkjet »

RaggedMan wrote:
silkjet wrote:Good news. I am chastened by the USF1 experience. I believed like a dreamer does. I also will believe it when they are on the grid.

Unfortunately an article I read (on ESPNF1 I think) said that the Haas plan is to use Ferrari power. :?

My heart just sunk!!!!

HawaiiF1Fan

Post by HawaiiF1Fan »

The only way I see two new teams being on the grid in 2015 is if they buy Caterham and Marussia.

RickM

Post by RickM »

HawaiiF1Fan wrote:The only way I see two new teams being on the grid in 2015 is if they buy Caterham and Marussia.

Or Lotus, Toro Rosso and Force India. All three would sell if they got the right offer.

HawaiiF1Fan

Post by HawaiiF1Fan »

^^^You're right, I forgot about those others although I think those teams come with a much heftier price tag than the backmarkers. Anywhoooooo............I'm wondering what those teams are worth?

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Even is both prospective teams get on the grid in 2015 theres a good chance we may lose two or even three teams by the end of this year.

Marussia are in dire financial times, Caterham have already said they'll be put if things don't improve and they haven't so far and Lotus could be in big trouble if they don't get some results soon too. Even Sauber are rumoured to be in quite serious trouble and may be looking at selling soon. We could, could, lose four teams. Which would leave us with only 8 teams in 2015 even with the two new outfits. If one of them fails we might be looking at as little as 7 teams and just 14 cars. F1 is in bad shape when it comes to this matter.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Laura23 wrote:Even is both prospective teams get on the grid in 2015 theres a good chance we may lose two or even three teams by the end of this year.

Marussia are in dire financial times, Caterham have already said they'll be put if things don't improve and they haven't so far and Lotus could be in big trouble if they don't get some results soon too. Even Sauber are rumoured to be in quite serious trouble and may be looking at selling soon. We could, could, lose four teams. Which would leave us with only 8 teams in 2015 even with the two new outfits. If one of them fails we might be looking at as little as 7 teams and just 14 cars. F1 is in bad shape when it comes to this matter.

If we go under 10 teams the 3 car team clause is triggered. Anyway you are being quite pessimistic Its very unlikely that all four of those teams will go in the same year.

AngusWolfe

Post by AngusWolfe »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:Even is both prospective teams get on the grid in 2015 theres a good chance we may lose two or even three teams by the end of this year.

If we go under 10 teams the 3 car team clause is triggered. Anyway you are being quite pessimistic Its very unlikely that all four of those teams will go in the same year.

Then I imagine even more teams will be in trouble trying to get the equipment together for three cars.
IV

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

AngusWolfe wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Then I imagine even more teams will be in trouble trying to get the equipment together for three cars.

Pretty much. It's a snowball effect and of course it sounds pessimistic but tbh a few of these teams don't sound very optimistic themselves about their long term futures.

We won't see three car teams any time soon IMO, even if we fall to 18 cars for a season or two. I can't see Sauber, Toro Rosso, Force India or Williams wanting to run a whole other car for an entire season tbh.

dizlexik

Post by dizlexik »

silkjet wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

My heart just sunk!!!!

Ferrari engine could improve by the start of next season and they probably won't be fighting for points either and lack of power shouldn't be their biggest worry for first season. Although later they may need something better if Ferrari is indeed terrible power unit.
eeee