2014 Bahrain Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Paolo_Lasardi

Re: 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

F1yer wrote:
Vettel won because he was faster.. Simple.

No reason to be tiddled about it.

Well, today Vettel lost because he was slower. Also simple. ;)

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 »

I think the amount of times that Nico/Lewis and Mercedes themselves dismissing the "bring the cars home" as team orders kind of backs up that they were team orders.
Team Vettel, Ricciardo, Bottas and Button.

RickM

Post by RickM »

F1yer wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
F1yer wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
F1yer wrote:

You would be naive to believe that.
When you are only one option then It's not really an option.

I wondered what could top this race; but your posts are coming close. :lol:

Thanks ... I am pleased

What i am surprised about is how everyone can simply ignore the massive strategy disadvantage Nico suffered and celebrate the win.

Didn't stop you gorging yourself on Vettels wins even though he received a massive advantage in all aspects. A guy you don't like won. Get over it.

Correction. He won because his CAR was faster....that's how it works ;)

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

Robbo-92 wrote:I think the amount of times that Nico/Lewis and Mercedes themselves dismissing the "bring the cars home" as team orders kind of backs up that they were team orders.

Makes no sense. They're not making proactive statements, they're being asked about it.

The battling at the beginning of the stint proves there were no orders. And again I'm not sure anyone would even listen at this stage in the season when there's a WDC at stake.

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

F1yer wrote:

lol, you really are making a fool of yourself. Keep it coming champ.
If...

Irbis

Post by Irbis »

Warheart01 wrote:Do you prefer a two car race, or a one car race like 2011 and 2013 (and to certain extent 2009, 2010, 2012)?

Edit - Came to think of it, with two cars you actually have a race. But do you actually have that with one?

This again?

Yes, 2010-2013 period was vastly preferable as not only Vetted didn't have such gigantic advantage, one car can fail while two can't, really, and with Vettel always 2 podium steps were for grabs, including highest one, not just lowest step. Remind me, when was last time we heard 'your team mate slipped, this means other 20 cars are meaningless and pole is in the bag'? :uhoh:

Aaand, in completely unpredictable result, it was 1-2 for Merc and 80% Mercedes engine cars in Top 5. Who could have guessed? x(

Azi

Post by Azi »

F1yer wrote:Vettel won because he was faster.. Simple.

And today Lewis was faster. So why are you being so grumpy?

deepblue12

Post by deepblue12 »

Lt. Drebin wrote:
wolfie81 wrote:
deepblue12 wrote:Best quote of the day to Vettel "Daniel is quicker than you"

:thumbup: :thumbup:

That'a how the team works, and Vettel was without word a part of it. Well, hats off to him for letting Ricciardo by.

lol ye right...remember Multi 21!!!

wolfticket

Post by wolfticket »

Robbo-92 wrote:I think the amount of times that Nico/Lewis and Mercedes themselves dismissing the "bring the cars home" as team orders kind of backs up that they were team orders.

"Bring the cars home" taken on face value means make sure both cars finish the race, which means don't take each other out.

Judging by what happened on track those were the only team orders. Not everything is a code :)
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

rvirax wrote:The lower nose was supposed to be a safety measure but I think that the lower nose of the Lotus got under the Sauber and flipped it.
Interesting point of discussion coming ahead soon I expect.

I might be a bit late with this but it had nothing to do with the low nose, the rear wheels interlocked
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 »

Ennis wrote:

Makes no sense. They're not making proactive statements, they're being asked about it.

The battling at the beginning of the stint proves there were no orders. And again I'm not sure anyone would even listen at this stage in the season when there's a WDC at stake.

They raced at the start of the stint, then after the safety car briefly, as soon as they nearly collided though Nico seemed to back right off which makes me wonder if Mercedes told Nico to hold 2nd place and we never heard it via the TV broadcast. Also we don't know what it says in Lewis's contract, he could well be No 1 driver this season as he took a slight gamble leaving McLaren for a underperforming Mercedes team (well they were at the time) so it would make sense that Lewis would have some form of preferential treatment over Nico for this season at least, also Nico looked slightly tiddled off in his post race interview with Pinkham, this was most likely down to him being 2nd rather than 1st, but you could take his body language and make a plausible theory that team orders were enforced today, just possibly pre race so we, the fans didn't hear them and "bring the cars home" was just enforcing them further.

pubpokerplayer

Post by pubpokerplayer »

After we heard 'bring the cars home' Nico overtook Lewis and Lewis got the place back.

Robbo-92

Post by Robbo-92 »

deepblue12 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
wolfie81 wrote:

That'a how the team works, and Vettel was without word a part of it. Well, hats off to him for letting Ricciardo by.

Vettel just cant win, he disobeyed team orders and was condemned for it, he obeys team orders and is still seemingly hated for obeying team orders.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

Robbo-92 wrote:
deepblue12 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
wolfie81 wrote:

Vettel just cant win, he disobeyed team orders and was condemned for it, he obeys team orders and is still seemingly hated for obeying team orders.

And Merc get condemned for team orders that could very well have been invented in a poster's brain.

But hey, whatever ;) ...
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

pubpokerplayer wrote:After we heard 'bring the cars home' Nico overtook Lewis and Lewis got the place back.

I think the Merc team orders must include light up and lock your tyres, push each other to the edge of the track, swop positions, take the corners side by side at full chat; and once your well clear of third pace still go at it 100%.

lamo

Post by lamo »

If they 1-2 all years it going to be decided by DNFs. A DNF they lose 25 points to team mate. Being half a lap slower, they lose 8 points.

If it carries on like this, Lewis will need 4 wins to Nicos 1 before he takes a slim 3 point lead.

j man

Post by j man »

Robbo-92 wrote:
deepblue12 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
wolfie81 wrote:

I'm not sure anyone is condemning him for obeying team orders today. The post you have quoted was referring to his ignoring of team orders last year

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

deepblue12 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
wolfie81 wrote:

We are discussing Bahrain 2014. Are you a time traveller?
The end is near

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

shoot999 wrote:
pubpokerplayer wrote:After we heard 'bring the cars home' Nico overtook Lewis and Lewis got the place back.

I think the Merc team orders must include light up and lock your tyres, push each other to the edge of the track, swop positions, take the corners side by side at full chat; and once your well clear of third pace still go at it 100%.

And, at one point, be told to turn the engines up!
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

pubpokerplayer

Post by pubpokerplayer »

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
shoot999 wrote:

And, at one point, be told to turn the engines up!

Whilst trading fastest laps!

lamo

Post by lamo »

Just heard that there is a 44% chance of a SC at Bahrain. Did Nico get the best strategy then?

Certainly worth the gamble and the gamble did pay off to give him the best strategy he just shot his tyres in the last stint.

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

wow, a really, really fun race to watch today. yet, bitching is everywhere here ??

clearly a new team has taken over the top spot, those two drivers are battling fiercely, some mid pack teams have edged closer to the front, some younger guys are looking exciting.......all good stuff to enjoy!

Skynyrd

Post by Skynyrd »

Kudos to all team directors...they let their boys battle it out on track. Nice to see that. :thumbup:

Pity Mercedes are so far ahead...this could have been a much funner season.

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

Wow...what a race...safety car really mixed things up at the end there!

I noticed that quite a few of the perceived stronger drivers had weaker weekends...at least once it counted, after all, there are no points for practice. Rosberg, Perez, Ricciardo, Raikonnen most notably all looked strong compared to their team mates, especially in qualifying. Maybe it's just better set-up, but curious that no-one has mentioned the gear ratios which are now fixed - presumably each driver can have theirs slightly different though....just wondering if anyone thinks that could have played a part?

Looking forward to China already!

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

tissot wrote:What in earth are you people talking about?
I wanted the half Finn to win, but he was offered to first place on a silver tray with better tires and Hamilton losing all of the advantage he had build on better tires.
If Rosberg can't get past him with these conditions, then he wont deserve the place.

One again disappointed with Williams. They just don't seem to be able to create clean race and strategy.

Great race today!

What could Williams do after Massa made a stance about team orders, "Felippe is faster than you so let him pass"?

I don't think so even Massa's subtle hint that Bottas was struggling with his rear tyres.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

pokerman wrote:
I wanted the half Finn to win, but he was offered to first place on a silver tray with better tires and Hamilton losing all of the advantage he had build on better tires.
If Rosberg can't get past him with these conditions, then he wont deserve the place.

One again disappointed with Williams. They just don't seem to be able to create clean race and strategy.

Great race today!

What could Williams do after Massa made a stance about team orders, "Felippe is faster than you so let him pass"?

I don't think so even Massa's subtle hint that Bottas was struggling with his rear tyres.

Yeah, Williams have really dropped a bollock for the whole season with the way Malaysia was handled, the trust between the drivers and the team appears to be terminally damaged.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

babararacucudada

Post by babararacucudada »

Unlucky race for Williams.

Would have liked to see Rosberg chase Lewis on the last stint. He might have caught up the time. Its different to catch than to pass.

Another good race by Ricciardo.

Good to see Force India doing well too.

Martin Whitmarsh must be enjoying how well Ron is doing.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

AnRs wrote:

Great race today!

What are you talking about? Nico had switched to a 2 stopper and coasting, had to switch strategy and got team rolled again..
+ Pushed off track twice

How did Rosberg switch strategy when he stayed on the same 2 stop strategy?
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

It's baffling that people can think that the strategy was put in place to favor Hamilton.

From what I saw that strategy favored rosberg all the way, intentionally or not, even without the safety car.

the soft tire is 0.6sec quicker, so even with the 9 sec gap that lewis had before the safety car came in, Nico could have closed the gap in the 17 or so laps that were left. 0.6sec*17 laps = 10sec.
Either way, the race would have been up for grabs towards the end.

pubpokerplayer

Post by pubpokerplayer »

babararacucudada wrote:Would have liked to see Rosberg chase Lewis on the last stint

:-?

He did chase him. He caught him. In fact he even got pass him. He didn't hold on to the position though.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

AnRs wrote:
AFCTUJacko wrote:
Lewis was 2 stopping aswell you plank :lol:

So he has his own set of rules now? Hmmm, are you for real?

Hamilton did 41 laps on 2 sets of soft tyres, one of these used, you don't think he could have finished the last 16 laps of the race on the mediums with a lighter fuel load? :uhoh:
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

babararacucudada

Post by babararacucudada »

pubpokerplayer wrote:
babararacucudada wrote:Would have liked to see Rosberg chase Lewis on the last stint

He did chase him. He caught him. In fact he even got pass him. He didn't hold on to the position though.

The safety car closed the gap.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mika_98 wrote:Just hope Lewis doesnt go away making smug comments and blowing his own trumpet. The season is long!

No he said that Nico was faster
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

pubpokerplayer

Post by pubpokerplayer »

babararacucudada wrote:
pubpokerplayer wrote:

The safety car closed the gap.

Ahh I thought you were saying you wouldn't to see them fight and was disappointed Nico didn't try and pass him. My apologies.

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

kleefton wrote:the soft tire is 0.6sec quicker, so even with the 9 sec gap that lewis had before the safety car came in, Nico could have closed the gap in the 17 or so laps that were left. 0.6sec*17 laps = 10sec.

There is no evidence of that 0.6s difference, at least when it comes to Merc cars. In the middle stint, Lewis was on softs and Nico on mediums. I don't know exactly how long that stint was, but it was about 20 laps. Lewis made up only 3.5 seconds during that time, which is slightly below 0.2s per lap.

Herb

Post by Herb »

SmoothRide wrote:
kleefton wrote:the soft tire is 0.6sec quicker, so even with the 9 sec gap that lewis had before the safety car came in, Nico could have closed the gap in the 17 or so laps that were left. 0.6sec*17 laps = 10sec.

There is no evidence of that 0.6s difference, at least when it comes to Merc cars. In the middle stint, Lewis was on softs and Nico on mediums. I don't know exactly how long that stint was, but it was about 20 laps. Lewis made up only 3.5 seconds during that time, which is slightly below 0.2s per lap.

3.5 seconds?

Lewis was only just ahead when he pitted the first time, and over 9 seconds when the safety car came out.

pubpokerplayer

Post by pubpokerplayer »

Only made up 3.5 seconds? The gap was 9.6 seconds when the SC came out. There was a 20 second gap when Nico pitted and the pitlane takes 23 seconds. That's 6.6 seconds made up.

However if you watched the race you will see Lewis was asked to go faster and said that he was coasting to look after tyres and not pushing. He still had more life in his tyres too but pitted because of the SC though surely he wouldn't have stayed out much longer.

F1yer

Post by F1yer »

Azi wrote:

No he wasnt.. And i am grumpy exactly because a slower driver won simply because theteam chose a. Better strategy for him.

Actually he got beat in pace to a driver who was beaten by Webber wen they were teammates.

So think twice before comparing Lewis with Vettel.. Vettel is indeed the faster driver.

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

Herb wrote:
SmoothRide wrote:

3.5 seconds?

Lewis was only just ahead when he pitted the first time, and over 9 seconds when the safety car came out.

Lewis had two laps on fresh tires while Nico stayed out during which he made up 2.5-3 seconds per lap. The first lap they were both on fresh tires, Lewis had an even 6 seconds advantage. When SC came out, the difference was 9.5 seconds.

beanchimp

Post by beanchimp »

F1yer wrote:
Azi wrote:

No he wasnt.. And i am grumpy exactly because a slower driver won simply because theteam chose a. Better strategy for him.

Actually he got beat in pace to a driver who was beaten by Webber wen they were teammates.

So think twice before comparing Lewis with Vettel.. Vettel is indeed the faster driver.

Vettel is that much faster he got beat by his team mate who started 3 positions further back than him