2014 Bahrain Grand Prix Race Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
lamo

Re: 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by lamo »

Honest from Lewis, said Nico had a slight edge on him this weekend. Race craft won it for him.

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

F1yer wrote:
lamo wrote:Nicos side of the garage chose that strategy according to Toto. Worth the gamble when there is a 50% chance of SC at this track. With a SC Nicos becomes by far the best strategy.

You would be naive to believe that.
When you are only one option then It's not really an option.

Sigh. The call made sense! The safety car meant it became BY FAR the best strategy. You are seriously deluded. Whole new level deluded.

pubpokerplayer

Post by pubpokerplayer »

Lewis said the gap was .6 seconds between the tyres

F1yer

Post by F1yer »

lamo wrote:Honest from Lewis, said Nico had a slight edge on him this weekend. Race craft won it for him.

Team craft he means.

lamo

Post by lamo »

F1yer wrote:
lamo wrote:Honest from Lewis, said Nico had a slight edge on him this weekend. Race craft won it for him.

Team craft he means.

You seem gutted Lewis won.

Always next GP.

Ev0lutionz

Post by Ev0lutionz »

Drats, another two week wait for the next GP ;(

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

lamo wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Team craft he means.

You seem gutted Lewis won.

Always next GP.

More that Vettel lost out and was overshadowed by his teammate. :lol:

deepblue12

Post by deepblue12 »

Best quote of the day to Vettel "Daniel is quicker than you"

F1yer

Post by F1yer »

Ennis wrote:
F1yer wrote:
lamo wrote:Nicos side of the garage chose that strategy according to Toto. Worth the gamble when there is a 50% chance of SC at this track. With a SC Nicos becomes by far the best strategy.

Sigh. The call made sense! The safety car meant it became BY FAR the best strategy. You are seriously deluded. Whole new level deluded.

As you saw , it wasnt! So please step back from calling names..
No one decides on a strategy predicting a SC and on a track like Bahrain.

Best strategy for Nico would be to mirror Lewis so that he can fight him not for last 9 but the whole 40 odd laps and that wasnt allowed.
Thus disadvantaging him.. It was not a TO to stop fighting in so many words but it was effectively the same.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

F1yer wrote:

Team craft he means.

"That guy seems really tiddled off that I won."
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Merc pulled out a 24 second lead in 10 laps

adam_92

Post by adam_92 »

I feel sorry for those who constantly call for real racing and then can't see it when it slaps them in the face.

F1yer

Post by F1yer »

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Team craft he means.

"That guy seems really tiddled off that I won."

Yeah I mm that the slower driver won... Its natural!

Ev0lutionz

Post by Ev0lutionz »

adam_92 wrote:I feel sorry for those who constantly call for real racing and then can't see it when it slaps them in the face.

They want a Vettelesque win done by Vettel just like the last 9 races of last year. Cant believe i watched all except USA and Brazil. Japan was interesting though.

Ev0lutionz

Post by Ev0lutionz »

Btw, this was the best birthday present ever to me, watching exciting racing instead of dozing off. And to top it off, glad my fave driver won it!

wolfie81

Post by wolfie81 »

I still fail how Rosberg did NOT have the best outcome in terms of strategy when taking the SC factor into play. Before the SC left the track to restart the race ill wager some 90% of viewers (including me) would have expected Rosberg to jump Hamilton. What we didn't anticipate is the determination and race craft from Hamilton.

Today a huge pschyologivl battle between Hamilton and Rosberg occurred. It was awfully visible Rosberg was tiddled off at being second fiddle to Hamilton in particular. Even yesterday when Rosberg took pole, the games began when he claimed he 'wasn't surprised he beat Hamilton'. I think Rosberg is doing his darndest to prove to everyone he will not be number 2 by default..

wolfie81

Post by wolfie81 »

deepblue12 wrote:Best quote of the day to Vettel "Daniel is quicker than you"

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

adam_92 wrote:I feel sorry for those who constantly call for real racing and then can't see it when it slaps them in the face.

:thumbup:

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

F1yer wrote:As you saw , it wasnt! So please step back from calling names..

Best strategy for Nico would be to mirror Lewis so that he can fight him not for last 9 but the whole 40 odd laps and that wasnt allowed.
Thus disadvantaging him.. It was not a TO to stop fighting in so many words but it was effectively the same.

It really was. The problem was despite the poorer strategy, Hamilton managed to use track position to hang on. Quicker tyre, on your teammates backside - how can that be anything but advantage Rosberg?

So both cars on soft, Nico can't get past and make it stick. He's in dirty air if he tries to get close so he'd be eating up tyres more. Both cars on harder tyres, much the same.
You split, you have clean air on a harder tyre so you just keep close enough to push when you're on the quicker tyre.

Nico currently speaking of his disappointment due to being quicker but not being able to make it stick. That sums it up. He had pace, he had the advantage (a huge one with the safety car), but his teammates defending kept him out.

SmoothRide

Post by SmoothRide »

Great race overall, so many fights between drivers at different spots around the track. These cars are much more driver's cars than in the recent past. The lower downforce/higher torque combo is really showing merit.

Battle between Nico and Lewis was quite epic. Nico got taken at the start, but he kept close to the leader and he was quicker at the end of the tire run. That was quite impressive. Lewis was a little bit better overall and holding Nico off on medium tires was clinical. The option tires were not much quicker, quite surprisingly. Lewis made up about 3.5 seconds over Nico over the middle stint, which was maybe 15 laps long. That would be a difference of only about 0.25 seconds per lap.

Great race for both Force India guys and pretty good for RBR. Ricciardo continues to look a little more comfortable with the car than Vettel.

RickM

Post by RickM »

wolfie81 wrote:It was awfully visible Rosberg was tiddled off at being second fiddle to Hamilton in particular.

1) Obviously.

But more importantly:

2) He handles it awesomely. No driver wants to be second. But the two of them seem to genuinely love racing against each other.

shoot999

Post by shoot999 »

F1yer wrote:

I wondered what could top this race; but your posts are coming close. :lol:

mikey

Post by mikey »

Gutted.I watched the Liverpool game instead of the race.
Sounds like it was an eventful race.

F1yer

Post by F1yer »

Ennis wrote:

It really was. The problem was despite the poorer strategy, Hamilton managed to use track position to hang on. Quicker tyre, on your teammates backside - how can that be anything but advantage Rosberg?

So both cars on soft, Nico can't get past and make it stick. He's in dirty air if he tries to get close so he'd be eating up tyres more. Both cars on harder tyres, much the same.
You split, you have clean air on a harder tyre so you just keep close enough to push when you're on the quicker tyre.

Nico currently speaking of his disappointment due to being quicker but not being able to make it stick. That sums it up. He had pace, he had the advantage (a huge one with the safety car), but his teammates defending kept him out.

Are you saying Lewis was the faster driver?

Lt. Drebin

Post by Lt. Drebin »

wolfie81 wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup:

That'a how the team works, and Vettel was without word a part of it. Well, hats off to him for letting Ricciardo by.
The end is near

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Closely followed by "Wow, what was that?" (Gútierrez).

zaar

Post by zaar »

mikey wrote:Gutted.I watched the Liverpool game instead of the race.
Sounds like it was an eventful race.

It was - without any doubt - the best race of the season so far.

If the Merc boys stay this evenly matched, it would ease the 1.5 sec. advantage over the rest of the field. But there was even more great action all over the track

Great race.
Last edited by zaar on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F1yer

Post by F1yer »

shoot999 wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Thanks ... I am pleased

What i am surprised about is how everyone can simply ignore the massive strategy disadvantage Nico suffered and celebrate the win.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

F1yer wrote:
Ennis wrote:

Why does that matter? There are plenty of times in F1 history where a "slower" driver has beaten a "quicker" one through excellent driving and defending (like Lewis did in the last 10 laps).
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

F1yer wrote:
Ennis wrote:

I'm going to repeat this part and see if you can figure it out:

Azi

Post by Azi »

RickM wrote:
wolfie81 wrote:It was awfully visible Rosberg was tiddled off at being second fiddle to Hamilton in particular.

1) Obviously.

But more importantly:

2) He handles it awesomely. No driver wants to be second. But the two of them seem to genuinely love racing against each other.

Definitely. Bloody amazing racing and even better attitudes. Very impressive! 2014 is epic!

PzR Slim

Post by PzR Slim »

F1yer wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Thanks ... I am pleased

What i am surprised about is how everyone can simply ignore the massive strategy disadvantage Nico suffered and celebrate the win.

Didn't stop you gorging yourself on Vettels wins even though he received a massive advantage in all aspects. A guy you don't like won. Get over it.
If...

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

F1yer wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Thanks ... I am pleased

You mean the disadvantage that put him right on the leader's gearbox with tyres that were half a second quicker than the guy in front's?

I'll have what he's smoking.

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

zaar

Post by zaar »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Closely followed by "Wow, what was that?" (Gútierrez).

For me Gutierrez has to be the quote of the day. Maldonado seldomly fails to disappoint ...

fitjiffa

Post by fitjiffa »

F1yer wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Thanks ... I am pleased

Which 'massive strategy disadvantage' did Hamilton benefit from to beat Rosberg into the first corner?

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

F1yer wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Thanks ... I am pleased

The strategy levelled out with the safety car.

Both on fresh tyres, Hamilton with track position, Rosberg with quicker tyres. Rosberg pulled some great moves, Hamilton did some great defending.

The thing that I would say helped Lewis was the lack of DRS for the first 2 laps following the safety car, but then without the safety car Lewis had a near 10 second advantage anyway so it all levels out really.

F1yer

Post by F1yer »

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
F1yer wrote:
Ennis wrote:

Why does that matter? There are plenty of times in F1 history where a "slower" driver has beaten a "quicker" one through excellent driving and defending (like Lewis did in the last 10 laps).

It wouldnt matter except Nico was put on a different strategy just so that they wouldnt be clse on track

Ennis

Post by Ennis »

F1yer wrote:
It wouldnt matter except Nico was put on a different strategy just so that they wouldnt be clse on track

A temporary measure not impacting how quickly he could get to the finish line. A point you're missing. Along with the fact that it turned out being by far the best strategy.

EDIT - to add, Nico's tyres overheating towards the end highlights the problem with putting them both on softs on the 2nd stint. He'd have ate them up battling in the dirty air and turned out having more of a disadvantage as he'd need to pit first and he'd experience drop off first. That strategy was the logical call.
Last edited by Ennis on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F1yer

Post by F1yer »

PzR Slim wrote:
F1yer wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
F1yer wrote:

Thanks ... I am pleased

Didn't stop you gorging yourself on Vettels wins even though he received a massive advantage in all aspects. A guy you don't like won. Get over it.

Vettel won because he was faster.. Simple.

No reason to be tiddled about it.

Zblogger

Post by Zblogger »

F1yer wrote:

Team craft he means.

Paddy Lowe confirmed that they were allowed to race from "lights to flag".
Toto confirmed that they were allowed to race and Lauda said it as well.

Stop making up nonsense! And stop trying to deceive people on this forum.