TV Ratings Surge in USA

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Schumacher forever#1

Re: TV Ratings Surge in USA

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

RickM wrote:
Laura23 wrote:If Merc continue to dominate those figures will dwindle rather rapidly again.

It'd take a couple of seasons. That's how long it took for it to kick in in the MSC and Vettel borefests. Hopefully it wont get that far. I want to see some damn fine racing this year, not swimming pool around with a 30 second gap to the guy in second, we had too much of that last year.

Sidenote - WOW. Even with the increase, the US viewing figures are shockingly crap.

It can't be much worse than here in Ireland. 2 people, excluding myself, watch formula 1 in 150 people in my year in school. Having said that, we have a good amount of older people watching it because of the Jordan days 8)
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

Senna88

Post by Senna88 »

NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR Apr 9
RATINGS: Sunday's F1 Bahrain Grand Prix averaged 594,000 viewers, most for non-domestic F1 race on cable since 2011.

Any US viewers know if NBC have promoted F1 more this year? Hence the higher ratings. Either way interesting that there is a increase for all three races so far, it will be interesting to see what the ratings are like for Monaco and Canada which unless I am mistaken were both shown on the main NBC channel last year.

Interestingly, while this happened in America the race in the UK had its lowest rating since 2007 largely due to the BBC's poor scheduling of the race show after 10 on a Sunday night.
Support: Kimi, Lewis, Jenson, THE HULK and Super Kevin Magnussen
Respect: Eyebrow man, Schumi and finally after three long years Sebastian Vettel. Fairplay to the guy he is quick!
Still don't like: Di Resta and his neck glassing team mate

Colo134

Post by Colo134 »

Senna88 wrote:NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR Apr 9
RATINGS: Sunday's F1 Bahrain Grand Prix averaged 594,000 viewers, most for non-domestic F1 race on cable since 2011.

Any US viewers know if NBC have promoted F1 more this year? Hence the higher ratings. Either way interesting that there is a increase for all three races so far, it will be interesting to see what the ratings are like for Monaco and Canada which unless I am mistaken were both shown on the main NBC channel last year.

Interestingly, while this happened in America the race in the UK had its lowest rating since 2007 largely due to the BBC's poor scheduling of the race show after 10 on a Sunday night.

Not an American viewer. But here in Canada I am noticing some more promotion on TSN. Theres a general advert for TSN that has clips from some of the sports it covers and F1 is one of them. Also, when nascar races are promoted they also throw in an F1 promotion. Now that theres a Canadian Sponsor, Blackberry, on a winning car i think that theres some more money being thrown in by TSN and blackberry to help promote F1 here more.

But id also be interested to here if theres more promotion in the USA, because it feels like theres more in Canada than before

Herb

Post by Herb »

Do the BBC have to leave a certain number of hours before they are allowed to show highlights of a race they are not covering live?

It's a common occurrence in sport TV deals. And would explain the 10pm start time

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

If Haas get an entry the TV ratings should explode.

DaveStebbins

Post by DaveStebbins »

Ratings would go up with an American team entered in F1, but only for a short period. When the added viewers realize the team is a back marker, most will tune out again.

RickM

Post by RickM »

Herb wrote:

Do the BBC have to leave a certain number of hours before they are allowed to show highlights of a race they are not covering live?

It's a common occurrence in sport TV deals. And would explain the 10pm start time

Yep they do. If it's a race where Sky have the live rights and BBC don't, BBC aren't allowed to show their highlights for about 4 hours. Even then it's not worth watching IMO, the coverage they've been pushing out on highlights is crap.

That being said, the UK race wouldn't have been a Sky exclusive, so not sure why they would have had the show on at 10pm :/ Or is Herb talking about US time on BBC World? In which case 10PM = about 5PM if you're on eastern time, so that would have been live after the race.

Chunky

Post by Chunky »

................ Last week's Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday, March 23 (3:30-5:54 a.m. ET) on NBCSN averaged 248,000 viewers .................

Or about 0.1% of the entire population. I guess the college shuv ha'penny championships were scheduled later than usual and there was nothing else to watch.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Chunky wrote:................ Last week's Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday, March 23 (3:30-5:54 a.m. ET) on NBCSN averaged 248,000 viewers .................

Or about 0.1% of the entire population. I guess the college shuv ha'penny championships were scheduled later than usual and there was nothing else to watch.

I wonder what percentage of the population are awake and in a position to watch anything ( as in not at work or in a nightclub etc) between 3:30-5:54 AM?

Blake

Post by Blake »

Don't go applying logic or fair questions in your response, mikey....
;)
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15