TV Ratings Surge in USA

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Colo134

TV Ratings Surge in USA

Post by Colo134 »

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/102413-f1- ... -two-races

"Through its first two races of the 2014 Formula 1 season, NBCSN reorts that it has seen triple-digit gains from a season ago.

The Australian and Malaysian Grands Prix averaged 248,000 viewers, up 102% from the first two races of the 2013 F1 season (123,000). In addition, the races have averaged 116,000 Adults 18-49, up 134% from 2013 (49,000). Both races took place in early-morning hours.

Last week's Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday, March 23 (3:30-5:54 a.m. ET) on NBCSN averaged 248,000 viewers, up 105% from last year's telecast (121,000). The race also averaged 121,000 Adults 18-49, up 175% from the viewership in that demographic in 2013 (44,000).

NBCSN's presentation of the Australian Grand Prix on Sunday, March 16 (1:30-3:50 a.m. ET), the inaugural race of the 2014 F1 season, averaged 248,000 viewers, up 100% from last year's telecast on NBCSN (124,000). The race also averaged 111,000 Adults 18-49, up 102% from 2013 (55,000)."

Laura23

Re: TV Ratings Surge in USA

Post by Laura23 »

If Merc continue to dominate those figures will dwindle rather rapidly again.
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

Blake

Post by Blake »

Now this is a turn-about... usually the complaints are that people don't watch F1 in the USA...

However, just 5 minutes before I saw this thread, I was reading this article....

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/f1-grand-prix/f1-bosses-meet-as-viewers-switch-off-1.1670449#.Uz3Ze_ldXi0

:?
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Blake wrote:Now this is a turn-about... usually the complaints are that people don't watch F1 in the USA...

However, just 5 minutes before I saw this thread, I was reading this article....

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/f1-grand-prix/f1-bosses-meet-as-viewers-switch-off-1.1670449#.Uz3Ze_ldXi0

:?

To be fair the headline is misleading. How can they possibly know if viewers are switching off, we have only had 2 races so far. Hardly a big pool of data.

Mentally Hill

Post by Mentally Hill »

Hi sorry to repeat a question I'm sure has been answered a hundred times but i'm in the US for the next two races I know now that the race is shown on NBCSN but is it on any other channels? Also whats the deal with coverage, such as full race? Commercials? Qualifying too?
thanks all :)

RaggedMan

Post by RaggedMan »

Mentally Hill wrote:Hi sorry to repeat a question I'm sure has been answered a hundred times but i'm in the US for the next two races I know now that the race is shown on NBCSN but is it on any other channels? Also whats the deal with coverage, such as full race? Commercials? Qualifying too?

NBCSN is the only channel it's on, yes there are commercials, here is the schedule.
http://www.nbcsports.com/motor-sports/f1/2014-formula-one-nbc-tv-schedule
{Insert clever sig line here}

mmi16

Post by mmi16 »

The 'surge' in US ratings has to do with the events actually getting advertising time on all the NBC variety of channels - thus making a far wider audience aware of the events. Last year NBC did very little advertising outside of NBC SN.

When Speed had the contract for F1, despite being owned by Fox - Speed was the only place you saw advertising about a F1 race.

johnp

Post by johnp »

Last week's Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday, March 23 (3:30-5:54 a.m. ET) on NBCSN averaged 248,000 viewers

the season finale of the walking dead had about 17 million viewers

Colo134

Post by Colo134 »

johnp wrote:
Last week's Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday, March 23 (3:30-5:54 a.m. ET) on NBCSN averaged 248,000 viewers

Better to be up 105% than down 105%

Im trying to find some good press after all i see these days is "so and so hits out at such and such" or "so and so is against this and that"

av-rated

Post by av-rated »

Absent a move to ESPN or a full season deal on one of the big 4 OTA networks (which isn't even happening with most major sports anymore), F1 to NBCSN is probably the next best thing that could have happened for F1 viewership in the US. Like another poster mentioned, cross channel advertising on the NBC family of networks has increased awareness and the NBC sports division hasn't put it on the back burner to NASCAR like we saw on SPEED. Sure, NBCSN's cash cow right now is the Premiership so that may get more pub, but they've treated their F1 viewers well with solid coverage and plenty of digital content via the website and their mobile apps. I am pleased and would be the first to tell you it sucks if it actually did suck. Sure, we don't have advert free broadcasting like in the UK, but that's our deal and always has been...but it hasn't ruined F1 on NBCSN.
It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

av-rated

Post by av-rated »

johnp wrote:

Comparing it to one of the most popular scripted serials is apples and oranges as you know...with F1 ratings in the States, it's all relative to the previous baseline...although I'd be impressed if the The Walking Dead was up 105% from its last finale...but I doubt it was.

Water

Post by Water »

Blake wrote:However, just 5 minutes before I saw this thread, I was reading this article....

IOL has more F1 coverage than I thought. :o

Relevant to the actual topic, the viewing figures are still very small (I'll admit, I thought they'd be higher even knowing F1 isn't very popular in the US), but an increase of 105% isn't anything to laugh at. Depending on how the season pans out, the year could become a success with the viewers or then they'll just switch off as Mercedes does a Ferrari 2002 and that's that. I hope for the former, but who knows?
Gazing into the future, a Haas entry could draw more viewers, so drawing attention already this year would give a good boost.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

johnp wrote:

To be fair, that wasn't shown at 3:30am :lol: ...
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Seanie

Post by Seanie »

johnp wrote:

What does that have to do with the price of cheese? :uhoh:
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.

stevey

Post by stevey »

I think americans will watch more once there is an american team and driver in the sport which looks to be happening very soon.

mikey

Post by mikey »

johnp wrote:

More people watch Coronation street than F1 in the UK. You really can not compare F1 to non motorsport shows.

AnotherAldo

Post by AnotherAldo »

I wonder if those viewership statistics include only live viewers? I'll wager most of us in the US recorded the coverage to watch later.

orion_f1

Post by orion_f1 »

johnp wrote:

Yeah, but I bet the season finale of the walking dead didn't start at 1.30am or 3.30am EST

cucoloco

Post by cucoloco »

RaggedMan wrote:
Mentally Hill wrote:Hi sorry to repeat a question I'm sure has been answered a hundred times but i'm in the US for the next two races I know now that the race is shown on NBCSN but is it on any other channels? Also whats the deal with coverage, such as full race? Commercials? Qualifying too?

NBCSN is the only channel it's on, yes there are commercials, here is the schedule.

Not true in houston. I watch the whole race without interruption on one of the Spanish channels (comcast 615). Commentary might not be as good as on NBC but I see the whole race sponsored by autozone without a single break. For FP and qualy the only option is NBC.

carlisimo

Post by carlisimo »

It's also on Univisión Deportes (a cable channel) in Spanish. No commercial breaks - sometimes they shrink the picture down to talk about a sponsor, but it's not nearly as disruptive as a commercial break.

av-rated

Post by av-rated »

carlisimo wrote:

It's also on Univisión Deportes (a cable channel) in Spanish. No commercial breaks - sometimes they shrink the picture down to talk about a sponsor, but it's not nearly as disruptive as a commercial break.

I'll have to check that out and see if my Spanglish (that's my level) is good enough to enjoy the commentary...I used to see it aired on Fox Deportes (or whatever the Spanish Fox sports network is called)....did not know it was on Univision and commercial-free these days.

Mentally Hill

Post by Mentally Hill »

RaggedMan wrote:

thank you that's helpful

JerCotter7

Post by JerCotter7 »

av-rated wrote:
johnp wrote:

Comparing it to one of the most popular scripted serials is apples and oranges as you know...with F1 ratings in the States, it's all relative to the previous baseline...although I'd be impressed if the The Walking Dead was up 105% from its last finale...but I doubt it was.

Taking the premier of this and last season which is the same as taking the first races. It went up 48%. That might not sound as good as 105% but that was an extra 5.24 million viewers. That is a pretty incredible jump in viewers.

But comparing the two is idiotic. Just looked up TWD figures and decided to share them.

av-rated

Post by av-rated »

JerCotter7 wrote:
av-rated wrote:
johnp wrote:

Taking the premier of this and last season which is the same as taking the first races. It went up 48%. That might not sound as good as 105% but that was an extra 5.24 million viewers. That is a pretty incredible jump in viewers.

But comparing the two is idiotic. Just looked up TWD figures and decided to share them.

That is pretty impressive for TWD.

RickM

Post by RickM »

Laura23 wrote:If Merc continue to dominate those figures will dwindle rather rapidly again.

It'd take a couple of seasons. That's how long it took for it to kick in in the MSC and Vettel borefests. Hopefully it wont get that far. I want to see some damn fine racing this year, not swimming pool around with a 30 second gap to the guy in second, we had too much of that last year.

Sidenote - WOW. Even with the increase, the US viewing figures are shockingly crap.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

RickM wrote:
Laura23 wrote:If Merc continue to dominate those figures will dwindle rather rapidly again.

It'd take a couple of seasons. That's how long it took for it to kick in in the MSC and Vettel borefests. Hopefully it wont get that far. I want to see some damn fine racing this year, not swimming pool around with a 30 second gap to the guy in second, we had too much of that last year.

Sidenote - WOW. Even with the increase, the US viewing figures are shockingly crap.

I dunno, I mean we've just slipped from one dominate era to another. There's been no 2003 in the middle this time. Which ever Merc goes into T1 first will likely be the one who will win (that's the deal between the drivers according to many), then it'll be a 30 second gap to third. It's hardly more interesting than Vettel doing the same if I'm honest.

People will start turning off my the latter stages of the year if it continues because they won't see the point in watching it live when they already know who's going to win by miles. It's bad for the sport. We need teams fighting each other closely for the titles.

Irbis

Post by Irbis »

Yeah. And the problem isn't even in Mercs, it was in very badly thought out rapid engine freeze giving works teams massive advantage, advantage that is impossible to match for the customer teams. Turbos can stay, but the playing field must be levelled as soon as possible.

Colo134

Post by Colo134 »

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

Colo134 wrote:ratings continue to rise in the USA

http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/ite ... um-for-nbc

Bahrain will have done a heap of good. But I stick by what I said in the long run, if Merc keep winning people will start switching off.

HawaiiF1Fan

Post by HawaiiF1Fan »

Laura23 wrote:
RickM wrote:

I dunno, I mean we've just slipped from one dominate era to another. There's been no 2003 in the middle this time. Which ever Merc goes into T1 first will likely be the one who will win (that's the deal between the drivers according to many), then it'll be a 30 second gap to third. It's hardly more interesting than Vettel doing the same if I'm honest.

People will start turning off my the latter stages of the year if it continues because they won't see the point in watching it live when they already know who's going to win by miles. It's bad for the sport. We need teams fighting each other closely for the titles.

From the rags I've read it seems like the Mercedes guys are allowing Lewis and Nico to race......at least at this point. They split tires to get gaps between the boys in the middle stints and on the third stint they would have one chasing the other down. Works with a 2/3 stopper, but I'd like to see what happens at Monaco where it's conceivable they might only pull a single stop.

Colo134

Post by Colo134 »

Laura23 wrote:

Bahrain will have done a heap of good. But I stick by what I said in the long run, if Merc keep winning people will start switching off.

Im not sure they will. If Nico and Lewis are allowed to race, and we are treated with more of what we got in Bahrain then it certainly wont hurt.

av-rated

Post by av-rated »

Laura23 wrote:

I actually agree with this....I'll watch because I always have and always will....but the fringe viewer or the emerging fan/viewer (world wide) will likely grow tired of big gap wins from pole by one or two men from one team race over race. If they're all like Bahrain...maybe not...but they won't be. Early days yet, though....so let's see if any other team can close the Grand Canyon-esque gap that currently exists.

Pedrosa_4_Ever

Post by Pedrosa_4_Ever »

Colo134 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Im not sure they will. If Nico and Lewis are allowed to race, and we are treated with more of what we got in Bahrain then it certainly wont hurt.

I agree with this. There have been many F1 seasons where it has come down to two drivers fighting it out with a massive gap to the rest. In fact, some of the most dramatic season have been like that.
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Jomox

Post by Jomox »

The dominance of Merc won't change anything, actually if anything it has improved the viewing due to the battle between Rosberg and Hamilton. As long as they are dicing it out, and battles are happening behyong these viewing will continue to increase (In the US)

RickM

Post by RickM »

Remember that there is more than just the Merc team with Merc engines. Right now they obviously have a massive advantage as their car was built around that engine. Give it a few more races and from an aero side of things, Merc, Williams etc will be able to take full advantage of the PU. Hopefully, whilst it'll still be all Merc teams at the front, it'll at least mean it's not a guaranteed Mercedes 1-2 every race.

Mind you, if theres racing between the two drivers like there was in Bahrain I wouldn't be too bothered.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

RickM wrote:Remember that there is more than just the Merc team with Merc engines. Right now they obviously have a massive advantage as their car was built around that engine. Give it a few more races and from an aero side of things, Merc, Williams etc will be able to take full advantage of the PU. Hopefully, whilst it'll still be all Merc teams at the front, it'll at least mean it's not a guaranteed Mercedes 1-2 every race.

Mind you, if theres racing between the two drivers like there was in Bahrain I wouldn't be too bothered.

If every race was like Bahrain no one would complain, I wouldn't complain.

But they won't be and I think a few people may start getting their hopes up that they will and be very disappointed when they do eventually have to watch a processional race. Because there will be processions this season.

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

The thing with these TV ratings is (unless I'm way out of date with the technology) they are based on a relatively small sample and extrapolated up, so while they do show trends I always think it's slightly misleading to say things like viewing surged to 248,000 viewers from 123,000 when you don't include some explanation of the sample.

For example (from memory) the UK the TV ratings are based on a sample of around 4000 viewers.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Laura23 wrote:
RickM wrote:Remember that there is more than just the Merc team with Merc engines. Right now they obviously have a massive advantage as their car was built around that engine. Give it a few more races and from an aero side of things, Merc, Williams etc will be able to take full advantage of the PU. Hopefully, whilst it'll still be all Merc teams at the front, it'll at least mean it's not a guaranteed Mercedes 1-2 every race.

But they won't be and I think a few people may start getting their hopes up that they will and be very disappointed when they do eventually have to watch a processional race. Because there will be processions this season.

This is formula 1 though. I've never seen an F1 season without some processional races and some of the most exciting seasons have been with two drivers way out in front.

Laura23

Post by Laura23 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

This is formula 1 though. I've never seen an F1 season without some processional races and some of the most exciting seasons have been with two drivers way out in front.

Very true.

If we think of the 90s we'd struggle to think of a year we weren't all a little nostalgic about these days. Despite that some races in 1996 and 1998 were deathly dull, rose tinted specs do a lot for some seasons. The quality of wheel to wheel racing declined from the early 90s to the late 00s. That much was clear, Bahrain gave us some hope that wheel to wheel racing could make a comeback in a big way. I'm just not holding my breath just yet.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Laura23 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Very true.

If we think of the 90s we'd struggle to think of a year we weren't all a little nostalgic about these days. Despite that some races in 1996 and 1998 were deathly dull, rose tinted specs do a lot for some seasons. The quality of wheel to wheel racing declined from the early 90s to the late 00s. That much was clear, Bahrain gave us some hope that wheel to wheel racing could make a comeback in a big way. I'm just not holding my breath just yet.

Oh I agree we definitely had a bigger percentage of dull races back then. I think refueling had a big influence on the decline of racing on track.