Where I'm going, I don't need roads

F1Tyrant

Re: RIP Frank Williams

Post by F1Tyrant »

The last of the great privateers, RIP.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Wins - 2
Podiums - 3
Highest Score - 172 (2021 Spanish Grand Prix)
Best Competition Finish - 7th (2021)

Laz_T800

Post by Laz_T800 »

Mansell driving the Williams in the mid eighties was what first drew me to F1. I don't mind admitting Sir Franks passing has really made me emotional. Absolute legend, he'll never be forgotten. :((

jimmyj

Post by jimmyj »

Very sad news. What.an incredible man. RIP Frank.

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

RIP to a true pioneer of the sport. Hopefully his name will live on for years to come in formula 1 with the team

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Such a shame, a hero to many and a true titan of the sport, in many ways one of the most influential team bosses we've ever seen.
Anyone in or near North Wales interested in an RC car racing tournament?

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Giant of the sport. Few people have been more in the frontline with shaping modern F1.

RIP
Last edited by Badgeronimous on Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tim3003

Post by tim3003 »

Frank was the Williams team - and it was him. It's not coincidence that its results declined with his health, and now barely a year after passing it on he's passed on too.

RIP Frank; a true legend of F1 and the last of the great team owner-managers.
P-F1 Team Pick Game: 2019 Champion; 2020 & 2021 Runner-up.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

What sad news. F1 grieves.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

I haven't followed F1 long enough to get to see him speaking in person often at all. I always wanted to hear from him more, especially after Williams had their turn around in 2014. Despite hardly seeing him, knowing the teams history does make this feel even more upsetting.

Also hard to ignore that although this is unrelated, it is exactly a year today after Grosjean's horrendous crash. Quite hard to take in all this.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:43 am
I haven't followed F1 long enough to get to see him speaking in person often at all. I always wanted to hear from him more, especially after Williams had their turn around in 2014. Despite hardly seeing him, knowing the teams history does make this feel even more upsetting.

Also hard to ignore that although this is unrelated, it is exactly a year today after Grosjean's horrendous crash. Quite hard to take in all this.
If you can, find some time to have a look around youtube for some examples. I found his way of talking fascinating. Every word carefully considered but forthright, honest and to the point. A proper class act.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:24 am
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:43 am

If you can, find some time to have a look around youtube for some examples. I found his way of talking fascinating. Every word carefully considered but forthright, honest and to the point. A proper class act.
There was no Ronspeak with Sir Frank, that's true.

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:41 pm
The last of the great privateers, RIP.
He started a team for Piers Courage (with Courage's funding) when he got short of money for his own driving career. Go figure ! They bought a Brabham F3 car. And then Brabham F2 cars, Brabham and March F1 cars. His team with little resources was impressive enough to get backings after Piers Courage's death.
Think this kind of thing is impossible nowadays. You're not even allowed to buy a single seater racing car and start a one driver team...
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

A sad day for F1 and most likely the end of the privateers. It was so tragic what happened to him in 1986 and he was extremely strong to go on from that.

The Williams Netflix documentary really did paint him in a awful light which I always suspected, especially the words coming from his own family. I always judge a man by how he treats his family and those that can do nothing for him. So by all accounts, Frank was an awful person off the track but he was a successful one on it and he did live and breath racing (to a fault).

RIP Frank

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Johnson wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:45 pm
A sad day for F1 and most likely the end of the privateers. It was so tragic what happened to him in 1986 and he was extremely strong to go on from that.

The Williams Netflix documentary really did paint him in a awful light which I always suspected, especially the words coming from his own family. I always judge a man by how he treats his family and those that can do nothing for him. So by all accounts, Frank was an awful person off the track but he was a successful one on it and he did live and breath racing (to a fault).

RIP Frank
I think "awful" is a stretch. His family don't seem to think he's awful

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

His family won’t sit in front of a camera and tear him to shreds no, but some of the things and stories they told tell you a lot about the man.

But yes it depends on the standard you set, maybe it’s fairer to say not a great husband, father or person you could trust socially or in business.

But those are the very traits that made him successful in F1.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Johnson wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:56 pm
His family won’t sit in front of a camera and tear him to shreds no, but some of the things and stories they told tell you a lot about the man.

But yes it depends on the standard you set, maybe it’s fairer to say not a great husband, father or person you could trust socially or in business.

I think the fact that most people who have had the closest contact with him seem to think highly of him is as telling as anything else. Frank was clearly not a good family man by normal standards. Highly successful people rarely are. We all have faults and our crosses to bare so to speak.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

This was circulating in the interwebs. Surely sounds like a lovely person:

https://twitter.com/MikeTV1990/status/1 ... 7284430855

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

An absolute hero of mine. Such a loss. RIP
Instagram @italian_car_pictures

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:05 pm
Johnson wrote:

I think the fact that most people who have had the closest contact with him seem to think highly of him is as telling as anything else. Frank was clearly not a good family man by normal standards. Highly successful people rarely are. We all have faults and our crosses to bare so to speak.
Yes he was a lot nicer once he had made it and did not need to rip people (largely friends) off anymore. The man bounced cheques on his own family and friends. He even stole his friends wife.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Johnson wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:50 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:05 pm
Johnson wrote:

Yes he was a lot nicer once he had made it and did not need to rip people (largely friends) off anymore. The man bounced cheques on his own family and friends. He even stole his friends wife.
All I know is that she was married before to another racing driver, not any other info. Can you elaborate?

Herb

Post by Herb »

Is this really time or place to delve in to his character?

RIP Frank Williams. F1 would have been much poorer without you.

Mod Aqua
Site Admin

Post by Mod Aqua »

A memorial thread is not the place for negative discussion. And immediately after his passing is not really the time either.

It's a rule that Official Threads for individuals are not places for negative posting, so common sense should apply that goes double for a memorial thread.

If the controversy is of note, then it would warrant its own discussion (although it as it seemed a non issue until Frank's passing, that indicates it's probably not that pressing and can wait until a more appropriate time to bring it up)

FrogInARaceCar

Post by FrogInARaceCar »

RIP Frank

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

One of the real legends of F1. Sad to see him go.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (9 wins, 24 podiums): 2021 CHAMPION
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

First got into F1 watching watching Hill and Villeneuve battle for the Championship. The man built a team which sustained success across several decades. RIP.
I remember when this website was all fields.