Christian Horner or Toto Wolff

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules

If you need to hire a team principal for your F1 team. Who would you hire?

Toto Wolff
46%
Christian Horner
39%
Other
15%

Total votes: 41

baksonlee

Christian Horner or Toto Wolff

Post by baksonlee »

I used to think Toto Wolff was the best ever team manager in F1, but I am starting to change my mind based on RB's performance this season.

Everyone in team from the pitstop crew, strategists to their engineers have been faultless.

Who would you hire?

mikeyg123

Re: Christian Horner or Toto Wolff

Post by mikeyg123 »

I think it's easy to do all, and say all the right things when your winning. Or as Mike Tyson once put it - "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face".

No doubt Toto is a good manager. I've no idea if he's the best though. TBH the only one I currently rate is Seidl.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

I'd have Todt. Or is it only current TM's?

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

Horner. I am not sure how Wolff will deal with real hardship. He’s had it super easy in his career.

Horner is the most proven team principle. He build up Red Bull, he’s a proven winner, and he’s dealt with actual hardship.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Seidl

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:19 pm
TBH the only one I currently rate is Seidl.
This is my feeling as well. Of all the current team principals, Seidl is the one I'd take in the foxhole.

But between Horner and Wolff, I'd take Horner. He's stood the test of time and been strong at every stage of RBR's existence. I'm not so certain about Wolff, particularly now that his interests seem to be moving more in the direction of investment and ownership. Horner still seems like a leader for the future, and I think Wolff's days at the top are rapidly dwindling.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (9 wins, 23 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

Azi

Post by Azi »

Toto, Horner is insufferable.

Delphic

Post by Delphic »

I voted Horner cause I like his personality. He has this win at any cost mentality, which may toe the line occasionally.

Also, working in media corp myself, I interact with many Netflix peers who talk about DTS anecdotes, and based on that it seems Horner is very approachable and friendly.

However, the real test between the two really starts next season. New formula, so we will see whose approach pays off in the long run. If Wolf's team wins more WDCs with the new regs then Wolf would have done a better job than Horner. Wolf has obviously been more successful in the hybrid era. Horner winning one season doesnt make him a better team principal.

IDFD

Post by IDFD »

I hate both of them with a passion. Both too arrogant. Don't think either of them really play a major part in their teams successes.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Horner for me. Speaking of I came across this earlier, Bjorn Wirdheim (raced for Horner in F3000) in commentary over the weekend, and found it amusing:

https://streamable.com/xzhyyp

oz_karter

Post by oz_karter »

Hard one. Wolff has kept Mercedes at the top of its game for a long time, but that's not all down to him. He came into Mercedes when they were well on the way to developing what would be the most dominant car of all time. They had already recruited Rosberg and Hamilton and most of the key staff.

Horner has proven he can take a team from the midfield (at best) and put the elements in place to make it a title winner. RB had some lean years against Mercedes but through a successful partnership with Honda they've made their way into to the title race again.

Both are extremely competitive and will look for every edge and advantage on and off the track.

Both have had to deal with driver politics and incidents, in my opinion Red Bull seem better at keeping their drivers under control.

I'd tip my hat to Horner, just because he came into a team that was nowhere and built it into a 4-straight title winner.

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

Horner might be a bit of a whiner but the man has proven a successful leader since he was out in charge of the Red Bull team. He made them perennial contenders then winners and they have never not been relevant.

Wolff on the other hand, while I’ve come around to actually liking the guy quite a bit, he shoehorned his way into Ross Brawn’s team and pushed him out at a critical time, when the team was starting to turn the corner. Their supreme success is due in great part to having the best engine, in one of the best chassis, but since then they’ve continued to innovate and improve in several areas, but you can’t compare Wolff to Horner and what he’s done to build that team and keep them at the sharp end of the field.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: Leclerc :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Does Horner shoulder any blame for Red Bull’s relative lack of competitiveness from 2014-2020 and Red Bull falling out with Renault?

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

Depends whether you want to hire a team principal or a one-side-of-the-team principal...
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

Pest44

Post by Pest44 »

JN23 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:01 am
Does Horner shoulder any blame for Red Bull’s relative lack of competitiveness from 2014-2020 and Red Bull falling out with Renault?
Absolutely. I don’t think Toto or any other team principal for that matter would publicly slate there current PU supplier thinking they could get a deal elsewhere and not having anything in place. Then only have to go back grovelling to get the PU they hated so much back so they could take part in the championship. I feel some people have short term memories.

Whilst you have to admire the longevity Horner has and where the team came from to where they are now. I just don’t know how much authority Horner has.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Harpo wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:27 am
Depends whether you want to hire a team principal or a one-side-of-the-team principal...
That applies to both. Maybe not in equal measures, but it does

Biffa

Post by Biffa »

Close call but Horner just edges it for me, mainly because we've never really seen Toto manage a team from a lower mid-field position. Also (and I could be imagining this) but this year now that Merc has some proper competition - and are not pre-ordained to win, I sense I am seeing a few cracks in Toto's normally unflappable and logical demeanor.

Steam Coat Hun

Post by Steam Coat Hun »

Ooh, this is a good one. I think I would vote Horner. He's shown he can take a midfield team, and make them contenders.

Toto, I don't know. I could have my timelines wrong, but I feel like he might have had some assistance from M. Schumacher and Lauda in the early days, and he's just managed what was already successful. That said, I could have my timelines out of whack, and happy to be challenged or proven otherwise.
Formerly Charles LeBrad (Username changed on June 28th 2021)

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

mikeyg123 wrote:
I think it's easy to do all, and say all the right things when your winning. Or as Mike Tyson once put it - "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face".

No doubt Toto is a good manager. I've no idea if he's the best though. TBH the only one I currently rate is Seidl.
I don’t entirely follow your logic. You don’t rate Toto that highly because he hasn’t ever had to deal with real hardship, which is fair (he took over Mercedes in 2013), but how can you say the same thing about Horner? He’s been at Red Bull since 2005.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

KingVoid wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:04 am
mikeyg123 wrote:

I don’t entirely follow your logic. You don’t rate Toto that highly because he hasn’t ever had to deal with real hardship, which is fair (he took over Mercedes in 2013), but how can you say the same thing about Horner? He’s been at Red Bull since 2005.
I was referring specifically to Toto.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Steam Coat Hun wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:47 pm
Ooh, this is a good one. I think I would vote Horner. He's shown he can take a midfield team, and make them contenders.

Toto, I don't know. I could have my timelines wrong, but I feel like he might have had some assistance from M. Schumacher and Lauda in the early days, and he's just managed what was already successful. That said, I could have my timelines out of whack, and happy to be challenged or proven otherwise.
Was Mercedes successful in 2010-2012? Is that what you are saying here???

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Siao7 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:38 am
Steam Coat Hun wrote:

A lot more than Red Bull in 2005...
PICK 10 COMPETITION (9 wins, 23 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Horner took a failing team in Jaguar and managed it into a championship contending team in less than 5 years.

That's not bad.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Exediron wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:41 am
Siao7 wrote:
Steam Coat Hun wrote:

A lot more than Red Bull in 2005...
It wasn't a comparison...

Steam Coat Hun

Post by Steam Coat Hun »

Siao7 wrote:
Steam Coat Hun wrote:

No, I was meaning more the foundation for success was there, and he managed it. This was based on comments I’ve heard that Schumi got the ball rolling when it comes to their legacy. I’ve since seen Lauda joined after Toto, so I correct myself there.

For me, I think Christian turning what was essentially Jaguar into a 4 time champion is more impressive than what Toto has done at Mercedes.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Steam Coat Hun wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:16 am
Siao7 wrote:
Steam Coat Hun wrote:

No, I was meaning more the foundation for success was there, and he managed it. This was based on comments I’ve heard that Schumi got the ball rolling when it comes to their legacy. I’ve since seen Lauda joined after Toto, so I correct myself there.

For me, I think Christian turning what was essentially Jaguar into a 4 time champion is more impressive than what Toto has done at Mercedes.
Ok, got you. You are correct, Schumacher and Haug petitioned for bigger funding and they got it, Toto came in at the right time

Yeboah24

Post by Yeboah24 »

Horners absolute commitment to zero objectivity in everything he does or thinks would grate on me, even if he was on my side.

Toto for that reason alone

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

I feel like one of the few who genuinely likes Horner. I also think he's severely underrated as a team principle. Of course he has the best in Adrian Newey, but with all the responsibilities of being a team principle, he's done a fantastic job. His Beyond the Grid podcast is worth a listen.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

SlipstreamF1

Post by SlipstreamF1 »

I like how Toto brought order to his team, but if I hired Christian Horner I'd get to flirt with Ginger every weekend.

EPROM

Post by EPROM »

Perhaps it would be useful to split the perceptions across the dimensions of:
  • General team management,
  • Engineering management,
  • Competition strategy,
  • Race tactics
My own general impressions:
  • General team management - very close, Christian with a slight edge
  • Engineering management - close, Toto with an edge
  • Competition strategy - Toto
  • Race tactics - Christian

F1 MERCENARY

Post by F1 MERCENARY »

JN23 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:01 am
Of course he does, but, on his and the team's behalf, The Hybrid Renault engine was pretty abysmal for the time they ran them so he perhaps gets a bit of a pass on those seasons. Regardless, they've always been one of the most competitive teams while he's been at the helm.
HAMILTON :: VERSTAPPEN :: Leclerc :: BOTTAS :: VETTEL :: SAINZ :: NORRIS
KVYAT :: RAIKKONEN :: RUSSEL :: ALBON :: RICCIARDO :: HULKENBURG :: PEREZ
STROLL :: MAGNUSSEN :: GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: GIOVANAZZI :: KUBICA

Steam Coat Hun

Post by Steam Coat Hun »

SlipstreamF1 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:21 pm
I like how Toto brought order to his team, but if I hired Christian Horner I'd get to flirt with Ginger every weekend.
Completely forgot about this. Lock the thread, we have an undisputed winner

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Steam Coat Hun wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:06 pm
SlipstreamF1 wrote:
Completely forgot about this. Lock the thread, we have an undisputed winner
Ooh - that's a little unfair on Suzie...
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Jezza13

Post by Jezza13 »

SlipstreamF1 wrote:
Sporty's phone number would be enough for me to hire Christian.

The issue I have with Horner, well one of them, is that i'm not entirely sure how much influence he has in the team.

I remember when RB were deciding to go with either Renault or Honda, i'm pretty sure Marko came out & said it'll be him & Mateschitz that'll be making the decision, not Horner. I'm sure Marko has tremendous influence as to who drivees not only for AT but also RB, maybe more than Horner. I'd hate to be in Horners position with Marko constantly lurking in the background.

In saying that though, i'd go with Wolff on this. I like his man management style better. A good example of this is how he's looked after Bottas for next season even though he had absolutely no obligation to do so. He was well within his rights to simply say '"Hasta La Vista Baby", but he didn't. Now compare that to how the RB drivers get treated.

Wolff comes across as a more magnanimous, objective & reasoned person, who seems to understands the balance between looking after both the team & the individual, whereas Horner comes across, with a few exceptions, as someone as who it's the team first, second & third.
Great Quotes of the 20th Century

"You think I know f**k all.... I know f**k nothing" - Anonymous Maltese construction worker's response to being told he doesn't know how to do his job.

StanB123

Post by StanB123 »

I am surprised no one has mentioned Fred Vasseur yet. I think I would hire him. Great track record in the junior formulae, good sense of humour and politically savvy.