Female Racing Drivers

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
DOLOMITE

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Post by DOLOMITE »

Hold up, did they just confirm Pulling is a definite for WSeries next year?...
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Affirm, that's what I heard the commentator say but I am certain Pulling wuld have got the nod anyway, with a 7th, 5th and 4th in her 3 races plus 2 front row starts it's pretty clear that she is quicker than most in the field.
Last edited by Battle Far on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Jamie Chadwick won W Series CotA round 1 from Emma Kimilainen who made an extraordinary start to lead by the 1st corner only to be re-passed by Chadwick on exit. After an outstanding drive from 10th Alice Powell finished 3rd setting fastest lap late on.

Abbi Pulling made a poor start losing 3 places by the 2nd corner, she was held up behind Belen Garcia but once past set several fastest laps closing to within 0.7s of Kimilainen before her rear tyres went off and she was caught and passed by Powell. Overdriving, she also picked up a 5s penalty for track limits but remained 4th on the road and more than 5s ahead of 5th placed Beitske Visser.

Belen Garcia fell down the order running 2s a lap slower than her qualifying time, probably tyre related.

Chadwick & Powell's experience showed since both ran below their ultimate pace at first looking after their tyres for the end of the race.

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Abbie Eaton (compression fracture) and Marta Garcia (unwell) will not take part in the final W Series round today leaving just 16 cars to start the race.

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

US F4's CotA round saw Zoey Edenholm (JHDD, 2:21.998, 2:21.785) qualify 29th (of 33) and 25th for races 1 & 2 respectively.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Dominant performance from Chadwick today. Great drive from Pulling too, definitely someone to watch for the future. Hopefully she does better internationally than she was doing in F4.
Anyone in or near North Wales interested in an RC car racing tournament?

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Jamie Chadwick led the final W Series race of the season at CotA from start to finish to win her second successive title & secure the $500,000 prize. Untroubled, she was the class of the field.

Challenger Alice Powell who started 8th after the driver withdrawals was stuck in 7th for much of the race behind Belen Garcia passing the spaniard with 6 minutes to go. She wasunable to turn lap times within 1s of those she produced the day before.

Abbi Pulling started & finished second securing her first podium finishing some 5s behind Chadwick. She was followed home by Emm Kimilainen who took the last spot on the podium.

It's such a shame that the engine/gearbox/rear suspension swaps which take place after every race for every driver resulted in Powell being so much slower.

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Tufty wrote:Dominant performance from Chadwick today. Great drive from Pulling too, definitely someone to watch for the future. Hopefully she does better internationally than she was doing in F4.
Pulling is a double British Kart champion where she beat all the boys two years in a row.

Last season in F4, her first in cars, she was very competitive securing front row starts, fastest laps & podiums.

This season she was expected to challenge for the championship but she began with insufficient budget to complete the season with consequential pressure while the first race weekend started poorly with her team selecting the wrong tyres for mixed conditions wasting the pace that she showed.

Even given the F4 tyre regulations (6 tyres per race weekend) for budgetary reasons she had to compete in some races with tyres raced in the previous round.

We still don't know how good Pulling might be, perhaps we'll find out next year.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

I wasn't aware of the tyre situation, that explains a lot.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

So final standings for W Series

1. Jamie Chadwick
2. Alice Powell
3. Emma Kimiläinen
4. Nerea Martí
5. Sarah Moore
6. Fabienne Wohlwend
7. Abbi Pulling
8. Beitske Visser
-----------------------
9. Irina Sidorkova
10. Belén García
11. Jessica Hawkins
12. Marta García
13. Abbie Eaton
14. Japan Miki Koyama
15. Brazil Bruna Tomaselli
16. Australia Caitlin Wood
17. Norway Ayla Ågren
18. Poland Gosia Rdest
19. Italy Vicky Piria
20. United States Sabré Cook

The Top 8 are guaranteed a place for '22 if they want it
Marti and Sidorkova are part of the Academy so guaranteed a place for '22
Some confusion of the what happens with the Champ, but Chadwick could stay to defend

For me the finds of the season are Marti, Sidorkova and of course Pulling. I expected more from M Garcia and Koyama who was virtually invisible this year.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

My understanding is that Chadwick can only return to W Series if she does not take the SuperLicense points which, on the face of it, would be daft. Of course Alice Powell now has 12 SL points, one of the unanswered questions is can she return with them?

Those points are enough for Williams to consider giving Chadwick a test or an FP1 outing, or both.

Ignoring the debate about her competitiveness the PR alone would be worth it in my view. Given that she is already carrying out simulator work for Williams giving her a test can only improve that feedback and it might provide a surprise.

I must say that some of the misogynistic comments being made on facebook/twitter/forums are depressing, it's almost as if young males who will never ever get a chance to race anything let alone F1 simply can't abide the thought a female might!

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

On Pulling, prior to CotA there was some 'chat' that there was a possibility that she might have a deal to race regional F3 next season, I wonder if there's a chance she might do both that and W Series. I'd find it pretty interesting if Pulling, JuJu Noda and Hamda Al Qubaisi were on the same grid.

Belen Garcia had a limited campaign in FRECA this season where she was about as far off the pace in races as she was to Chadwick at CotA, i.e. 1-2s per lap.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Battle Far wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:03 am
My understanding is that Chadwick can only return to W Series if she does not take the SuperLicense points which, on the face of it, would be daft. Of course Alice Powell now has 12 SL points, one of the unanswered questions is can she return with them?

Those points are enough for Williams to consider giving Chadwick a test or an FP1 outing, or both.

Ignoring the debate about her competitiveness the PR alone would be worth it in my view. Given that she is already carrying out simulator work for Williams giving her a test can only improve that feedback and it might provide a surprise.
I've heard similar but the W Series site says

"Should the winner of The W Series championship compete in the following years W Series championship the driver will be ineligible for any FIA Super Licence points in that following year. Furthermore, any FIA Super Licence points allocated to her finishing position in that year will remain unallocated."

Which is different. I read that as saying

1) Chadwick will get her superlicense points for this year whatever she does in '22
2) She can return in '22 if she wants to (place is guaranteed via the top 8 promise)
3) but if she DID return for '22 she would receive no further super license point for that year.

I think a drivers total points are only counted from previous 3 years so I guess the idea here is you can't just stay in the series racking up points as the winner - you need to move on.

As for Chadwick I imagine Williams will give a test run as a prize, but with them now taking Sargeant maybe they're already allowing for Chadwick to be elsewhere.

Pretty sure Powell is not affected in any way.

It's tricky for W Series in terms of what they want from their Champ. It wouldn't look good if a driver just stayed and won year-on-year, equally if they move on as soon as they have won, the new winner is somewhat devalued as they haven't beaten the reigning champ. My son reckons a 2 year rule would be best - i.e you can stay and defend for 1 year, but after that it's time to move on. Gives the titles more credence and also give the chance for a new driver to prove themselves against the best.
-Stirling Moss

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Battle Far wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:14 am
On Pulling, prior to CotA there was some 'chat' that there was a possibility that she might have a deal to race regional F3 next season, I wonder if there's a chance she might do both that and W Series. I'd find it pretty interesting if Pulling, JuJu Noda and Hamda Al Qubaisi were on the same grid.

Belen Garcia had a limited campaign in FRECA this season where she was about as far off the pace in races as she was to Chadwick at CotA, i.e. 1-2s per lap.
Noda has said she won't be doing F3 next year. Pulling to GB3 I can't see working if she does W Series full time - I'm assuming W Series will be pushing for a fuller calender.
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

I wasn't aware that Alice Powell was part of the commentary team for Channel 4's coverage of the Russian GP, she was hosted by Red Bull for the weekend not withstanding the Aston Ad in the image. Wish I'd known I'd of watched the coverage.

Pleased for her and her career, shame that diversity wasn't such high profile when she drove in GP3

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Battle Far wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:37 am
I wasn't aware that Alice Powell was part of the commentary team for Channel 4's coverage of the Russian GP, she was hosted by Red Bull for the weekend not withstanding the Aston Ad in the image. Wish I'd known I'd of watched the coverage.

Pleased for her and her career, shame that diversity wasn't such high profile when she drove in GP3
Yeah, she's pretty good too. She's knowledgeable as you would expect but also her character comes through.
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Noda's Facebook post of Oct 23 says next season not confirmed but her following post (Oct 24) has comment references to other sources implying otherwise

The thread on her chances of an F3 drive on the Tokyo Chunichi Sports newspaper forum had a higher rating than Rossi's retirement or Tsunoda's 9th place at CotA, given the apparent level of public interest in her in Japan what price the $1m budget for FIA F3 being found?

It's all speculation until confirmed but I'd still like watch them race each other in F3

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:37 am
Battle Far wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:14 am

Noda has said she won't be doing F3 next year. Pulling to GB3 I can't see working if she does W Series full time - I'm assuming W Series will be pushing for a fuller calender.
They said over the weekend they want a longer calendar so yes, that is likely to get in the way.

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

One more observation on the W Series finale, I was gutted for Sabre Cook who'd driven well in 8th place fighting hard with Powell while she was held up by Garcia. It was her first time running in the top 10 in a race on merit, she needed the finish to keep her name in the frame.

She was taken out by an increasingly desperate Jess Hawkins who was then lying in 9th* place in the championship needing just two points to overtake Belen Garcia. Whatever her justification the move on Cook was clumsy and unnecessary as she already had those points had she finished 9th.

*assuming Marti & Sidorkova who are guaranteed places next season are excluded from the top 8.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Battle Far wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:52 am
Noda's Facebook post of Oct 23 says next season not confirmed but her following post (Oct 24) has comment references to other sources implying otherwise

The thread on her chances of an F3 drive on the Tokyo Chunichi Sports newspaper forum had a higher rating than Rossi's retirement or Tsunoda's 9th place at CotA, given the apparent level of public interest in her in Japan what price the $1m budget for FIA F3 being found?

It's all speculation until confirmed but I'd still like watch them race each other in F3
I went by this on her account:

but as we have seen with Noda, her moves are unpredictable!
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Hadn't read Chadwick on W Series either
Chadwick wrote:In my opinion, W Series has single-handedly done more than anyone else to help women in motorsport, I think whether you agree or not that it’s the right approach, it's definitely professionalised women’s motorsport overnight.

I think I’m a good case study for someone that it has worked really well for. I think I was achieving a certain amount within the sport but I don’t think I would have been able to pursue particularly single-seaters. So, off the back of 2019, I got a development role with Williams. I was then able to secure a role with Aston Martin, also the opportunity I’ve now got in Extreme E. I think without W Series, I don’t think I would have got these opportunities. Effectively, it’s given me a career in the sport.

And we’re looking at more women getting involved in professional motorsport, getting these professional opportunities, whether that’s myself in Extreme E or Beitske [Visser] in World Endurance Championship, Alice [Powell] in Formula E testing – I think we’re seeing that it is making a difference, and it’s getting the girls involved in the sport.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Battle Far wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:06 am
One more observation on the W Series finale, I was gutted for Sabre Cook who'd driven well in 8th place fighting hard with Powell while she was held up by Garcia. It was her first time running in the top 10 in a race on merit, she needed the finish to keep her name in the frame.

She was taken out by an increasingly desperate Jess Hawkins who was then lying in 9th* place in the championship needing just two points to overtake Belen Garcia. Whatever her justification the move on Cook was clumsy and unnecessary as she already had those points had she finished 9th.

*assuming Marti & Sidorkova who are guaranteed places next season are excluded from the top 8.
Agreed - I wanted Cook to do better but to be brutally fair it's consistent with her form all year. I just don't think she's up to it.

That top 8 approach has I would day pretty much split the field in terms of who I think should be given another chance with the exception of M Garcia. Outside of them I'd prefer to see some new talent but there aren't many that are showing at a top level in F4. Plenty in karting, but that's too big a jump.
-Stirling Moss

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

interviews with the podium finishers suggest that Chadwick will not stay, but Pulling and Kimilainen will.
-Stirling Moss

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Battle Far wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:23 am
Hadn't read Chadwick on W Series either
Chadwick wrote:In my opinion, W Series has single-handedly done more than anyone else to help women in motorsport, I think whether you agree or not that it’s the right approach, it's definitely professionalised women’s motorsport overnight.

I think I’m a good case study for someone that it has worked really well for. I think I was achieving a certain amount within the sport but I don’t think I would have been able to pursue particularly single-seaters. So, off the back of 2019, I got a development role with Williams. I was then able to secure a role with Aston Martin, also the opportunity I’ve now got in Extreme E. I think without W Series, I don’t think I would have got these opportunities. Effectively, it’s given me a career in the sport.

And we’re looking at more women getting involved in professional motorsport, getting these professional opportunities, whether that’s myself in Extreme E or Beitske [Visser] in World Endurance Championship, Alice [Powell] in Formula E testing – I think we’re seeing that it is making a difference, and it’s getting the girls involved in the sport.
Absolutely spot on and I think W Series should acknowledge and be more up front about this being their primary objective. Drop the whole "find the next female F1 driver" schtick. That just sets a benchmark by which they are going to be judged and will likely fail.

I was skeptical first (and that's being polite) but now I think
1) it's doing exactly what Chadwick says
2) it's doing the whole "see it to be it" thing , and not just as drivers, it's "normalizing" female presence in the paddock beyond hospitality

I have huge respect for Floersch but I do wonder if even she would now reconsider her position on it.
-Stirling Moss

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Battle Far wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:03 am

I must say that some of the misogynistic comments being made on facebook/twitter/forums are depressing, it's almost as if young males who will never ever get a chance to race anything let alone F1 simply can't abide the thought a female might!
They should forget about super license points and make it a stand alone series maybe even having it as a female world championship, I've seen enough to know that none of these women are good enough to compete in F1 and giving out fake points is not the way to go.

However it is a good platform to try and find outstanding female talent by making money not a barrier to that, maybe one day someone exceptional might emerge.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 103 (1st)
Pole Positions: 103 (1st)
Podiums: 181 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Do we know what the W Series actually is?

Is it a female only feeder series aiming to hep female drivers climb the ladder?

Is it a premier single seater series for Women aiming to effectively find a female "world champion"?

Is it a publicity campaign showcase women racing in the hope it will make more young girls want to try there hand at karting?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:34 pm

Is it a female only feeder series aiming to hep female drivers climb the ladder?

Is it a premier single seater series for Women aiming to effectively find a female "world champion"?

Is it a publicity campaign showcase women racing in the hope it will make more young girls want to try there hand at karting?
DC is one of the founders and I believe he said that the objective was to find a female F1 driver.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 103 (1st)
Pole Positions: 103 (1st)
Podiums: 181 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

mikeyg123 wrote:

I think it is definitely 3. And 1, if "ladder" means to give the better ones a career in motor racing.

The F1 tag is just for popularity, IMO, at least in the short-run.

But do we know for sure about FIA's ideas? Well, ... ;-)

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

mikeyg123 wrote:

DOLOMITE wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:07 pm
...Reading through this thread backs up my feeling though that to silence the detractors, they need to be a LOT clearer on their mission statement and objectives. What's said and what's printed, the selection process - doesn't all quite join up.

Is it just to raise the profile of female drivers as a concept?
Is it just to give up and coming drivers a higher profile platform?
Is it to give second chances to drivers who's careers have stalled?
Is it just a commercial enterprise?
Is it try and progress the careers of existing drivers to get them into higher spec series ?
Is it to try and kick-start more females into driving at grass roots level?
Is it just to generate funds for the winning driver?

Nothing really wrong with any of these, just be good to know what the primary purpose is. Certainly without knowing that you can't say if its a success.

The site says the

"We're here to shake up the industry, push aside stereotypes and change the face of motorsport, quite literally."

The founder has said

"W Series is a mission-driven programme with the ultimate goal of putting female drivers on elite motorsport grids,"
"Beyond that it aims to raise the profile of support professions in the garage, workshop and lab to female students to encourage girls into STEM [science, technology, engineering and mathematics] subjects at school and college."

DC meanwhile:
" to establish a competitive and constructive motorsport habitat in which our drivers will be able to equip themselves with the necessary skill-set eventually to move on up to high-level, mainstream racing series and compete with the best male drivers on equal terms"

Adrian Newey:
"creating a platform on which women drivers can improve by racing one another and from which they may then springboard their careers forward and, yes, ultimately race successfully in F1"

I've also found the following in other articles - NOT direct quotes:

"The objective is not only to perform a platform for talented women racers but to punch a sustainable hole in F1’s exclusively male club by placing a woman on the F1 grid. "
"At the heart of W Series' DNA is the firm belief that women can compete equally with men in motorsport. However, an all-female series is essential in order to force greater female participation"
:)
-Stirling Moss

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Powell and Chadwick to do a WEC rookie test. Interesting.
-Stirling Moss

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

DOLOMITE wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:53 pm
Powell and Chadwick to do a WEC rookie test. Interesting.
and Lilou Wadoux to join them.
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

The FIA & the promoters of its F3 & F2 series have announced that four drivers, Nerea Marti, Irina Sidorkova (W Series academy), Maya Weug, F̶r̶a̶n̶c̶o̶i̶s̶ Doriane Pin (FIA Girls On Track finalists) are to be given a one day test in an FIA F3 car at Magny Cours.

More here
Last edited by Battle Far on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

I'm actually disappointed as Abbi Pulling is clearly quicker than either of the academy girls and Hamda Al Qubaisi is clearly quicker than Weug. Likely, Juju Noda is the quickest of all.

Obviously, blowing the trumpet for your own schemes is more important than selecting the fastest driver and giving them a chance...

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

It's Doriane Pin. At least there are opportunities coming. Pin has been impressive. Weug...hmm not sure I'm seeing much there.

I just had a rather unproductive exchange with Pippa Mann on Twitter. She said the test was a great idea but appears to be still dead set against W Series. That seems a little contradictory to me as ultimately they are both examples of "positive action" whatever you feel about that.
-Stirling Moss

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Italian F4's Monza round saw Hamda Al Qubaisi (Prema, 1'53.805, 1'54.084, 1'53.362) qualify 10th, 9th & a season's best 6th for races 1, 2 & 3 while Maya Weug (Iron Lynx, 1'54.364, 1'54.684, 1'54.637) could only manage 23rd, 25th, & 27th.

I wonder if those who hold the key to FIA F3 drives even bother to look ouside their contracted* drivers :evil:

* hold a signed contract with a percentage of future earnings to the owner of the contract

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

FRECA's Monza finale saw Lena Buhler (R-ace) finish 30th in race 1, 23rd in race 2 and qualify slowest for race 3.

This is where she's been all season with no sign of improvement.

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Italian F4's Monza round saw Hamda Al Qubaisi finish a competitive 10th (where she qualified) in race 1 before, not for the first time this season, being punted into the barriers in race 2. Race 3 saw the repaired car running 4s off the pace of her team mates compared to a few hundreths when qualifying in 6th, she finished 29th, a lap down as a result.

Maya Weug (Iron Lynx) finished 21st in race 1, 29th in race 2 and 14th in race 3.
Last edited by Battle Far on Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Battle Far

Post by Battle Far »

Day 1 of the FF Festival at Brands saw

Lorna Vickers (Shaws) finish 19th in heat 1 and 17th in progression race 2 ending her participation in the weekend.

Megan Gilkes (KMR) finished 6th in heat 4 before a collision on the exit of Druids with her brother, Nick!!!, put both into the barriers in their semi-final. That would be a fun debrief, not.

Leanne McShane (Souley), after a poor heat, finished 4th in progression race 1 before finishing 25th in her semi-final.

Logan Hannah (GBR) finished 6th in heat 1 and 10th in her semi-final to make the final.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Battle Far wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:03 pm
FRECA's Monza finale saw Lena Buhler (R-ace) finish 30th in race 1, 23rd in race 2 and qualify slowest for race 3.

This is where she's been all season with no sign of improvement.
Yep, no sign of any potential there I don't think. And at 24 I think the ship has probably sailed.
-Stirling Moss

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

Battle Far wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:22 pm
Day 1 of the FF Festival at Brands saw

Lorna Vickers (Shaws) finish 19th in heat 1 and 17th in progression race 2 ending her participation in the weekend.

Megan Gilkes (KMR) finished 6th in heat 4 before a collision on the exit of Druids with her brother, Nick!!!, put both into the barriers in their semi-final. That would be a fun debrief, not.

Leanne McShane (Souley), after a poor heat, finished 4th in progression race 1 before finishing 25th in her semi-final.

Logan Hannah (GBR) finished 6th in heat 1 and 10th in her semi-final to make the final.
Not heard of these two. Hannah (first-name-as-a-surname always throws me) did OK and I was hoping he she would. 20th overall I think.
-Stirling Moss