2021 U.S Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
JN23

Re: 2021 U.S Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

Post by JN23 »

The top two pull it out the bag when needed!

Can see at least one of them not making it through turn one tomorrow :twisted:

Yeboah24

Post by Yeboah24 »

Really enjoyed that qualifying. Max has the same q3 ability lewis has in terms of pulling laps out, if anything these days more so. Lewis was on the ragged edge there to even get to two tenths, great lap.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Delicious Mercedes filling in this Red Bull sandwich for the race tomorrow.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

JN23 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:04 pm

Unless one has a bad getaway I can't see how they make it through T1 without contact. Neither are going to yield now that we are in the title run-in.

Yeboah24

Post by Yeboah24 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:06 pm
JN23 wrote:

Unless one has a bad getaway I can't see how they make it through T1 without contact. Neither are going to yield now that we are in the title run-in.
Ye i can see lewis braking late , overspeed entry and force him out. He has to really, qualy showed us bulls have the advantage here so lewis might think its a gamble worth taking

baksonlee

Post by baksonlee »

I have a feeling that neither of them is going to yield going to turn one tomorrow.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Great performance by Verstappen, Hamilton, Leclerc, and Ricciardo. Also good to see some life in Vettel.

Yeboah24

Post by Yeboah24 »

Interesting interviews, sounds like RB just did a better job of setup direction. I absolutely believe that can make two tenths of a difference

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

Well the race should be good, but I am not looking forward to the David and Danica broadcast. :thumbdown: :frown:
Mission WinLater

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

baksonlee wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:16 pm
I have a feeling that neither of them is going to yield going to turn one tomorrow.
So... Checo or Leclerc for the win do you think?
Anyone in or near North Wales interested in an RC car racing tournament?

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

[row][/row]
Yeboah24 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:13 pm
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
JN23 wrote:

Ye i can see lewis braking late , overspeed entry and force him out. He has to really, qualy showed us bulls have the advantage here so lewis might think its a gamble worth taking
I would be so disappointed and appalled if they crash again at turn one. We can’t have two title contenders that just can’t race together. Just be sensible please. Both guys. Hoping for a clean turn one and lap one.

hairy_scotsman

Post by hairy_scotsman »

SlipstreamF1 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:08 pm
hairy_scotsman wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:32 pm
Sergio Perez: “The suspension is at the limit”. Perez fears bumps at COTA; Red Bull "prepared for the worst in the simulator"

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-the-s ... v9r-Ly-NdM
All the cars were sliding yesterday. I feel embarrassed for my host country. This is such a poor excuse for a race track
100% agree. It's disgraceful that they've taken $250 Million (SO FAR) from the State of Texas and are asking for $35 Million more this year, when they refuse to reinvest in proper repairs to the drainage system and then the racing surface.

What an embarrassment, not to mention the myriad enormous SNAFUs we've been hearing about from fans all weekend.

It was already bad in 2019, and now Laurent Mekies of Ferrari is saying it's much worse now (which I've been telling people for about a year).

Mekies:
“I think everybody started a bit on the back foot with the bumps,” he said. “Certainly we did with the high level of bumps on-track.

“We were all expecting it and we all have tried to anticipate it. But it’s one thing to think about it and try to anticipate, it is something else when you actually hit the track here. It was certainly making life for our drivers quite a bit more difficult than what we would have hoped.

“Therefore we worked during the day to try to see how we can restore some of the confidence that they were losing on these more difficult conditions. So that was a little bit of an additional factor compared to the standard Friday programme.”

F1 did not race at the Circuit of the Americas last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic. One of Ferrari’s cars retired during the last race in 2019 with a suspension problem linked to the bumps.

Mekies said the quality of the track surface has deteriorated since that race. “I think it’s worse than 2019, yes, by quite a large bit.

“Here there has always been some attention given to the bumps because they has always been a lot of work to be done on the track, to keep it as flat as possible. So we have had that in the past, I don’t think to that extent.

“So it was quite a lot more difficult today at least for us.
https://www.racefans.net/2021/10/23/cot ... e-ferrari/
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
On Twitter, follow me @GPAmericas for all the latest breaking news and current photos...

hairy_scotsman

Post by hairy_scotsman »

Covalent wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:01 pm
Red bull rear wings full of cracks after fp3 because of the bumps...
Yep. Red Bull changed the wings on both cars during FP3 because of bump damage and then found cracks in the new ones between FP3 and Qualifying. They had to reinforce the new ones with more carbon fiber.

What a mess.
On Twitter, follow me @GPAmericas for all the latest breaking news and current photos...

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

kleefton wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:46 am
[row][/row]
Yeboah24 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:13 pm
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
JN23 wrote:

I would be so disappointed and appalled if they crash again at turn one. We can’t have two title contenders that just can’t race together. Just be sensible please. Both guys. Hoping for a clean turn one and lap one.
It was the same in 2016 with Hamilton and Rosberg. Both would rather crash than let the other past.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Some valuable data from yesterday's qualy....

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:08 pm
Some valuable data from yesterday's qualy....

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur
This looks goodas Sector 2 is the main overtaking place on this track.