Driver(s) of the Day - 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix

Post by UnlikeUday »

For me,

Ocon, Alonso & Hamilton
Feel The Fourth

Asphalt_World

Re: Driver(s) of the Day - 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix

Post by Asphalt_World »

I will not vote on this. I only ever vote for one driver as I don't believe in giving 3 drivers, driver of the day.

My reason is that Ocon won, but lucked out at the start, Lewis was super fast but with Max is a destroyed car and Bottas and Perez out, there was not another car in the race that was anywhere near as fast as his.

Sainz drove brilliantly, as did Alonso. Latifi and Russel scored points for Williams too.

Lot's did great but none shone with their driving above others.
Instagram @italian_car_pictures

JN23

Post by JN23 »

I think I probably agree with Uday :thumbup:

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Could also credit Max for passing cars and getting a point with a totally knackered car.

Schumacher forever#1

Post by Schumacher forever#1 »

Absolutely no idea why Hamilton would get DOTD

Two Alpine drivers for me. Being faultless for 70 laps outfront was very impressive.
"Always believe you will become the best, but never believe you have done so"

wolfticket

Post by wolfticket »

A few really good drives outside of them, but can only vote for the two Alpines today.
Last edited by wolfticket on Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶ ===\ō͡≡\ō͡≡o˞̶===

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:18 pm
Absolutely no idea why Hamilton would get DOTD

Two Alpine drivers for me. Being faultless for 70 laps outfront was very impressive.
I'm not disagreeing, but I would perhaps claim that both the WIlliams drivers were equally good. We just don't see the whole picture.

Mort Canard

Post by Mort Canard »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:08 pm
For me,

Ocon, Alonso & Hamilton
Yeah, those three, though maybe in a different order. Alonso and Hamilton were the stars of the show. Ocon mostly just held onto a P1 he inherited. Props to Esteban for putting himself in that position early in the race.
Mission WinLater

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

Alonso, Hamilton, Ocon in that order. Alonso was masterful in defence and won the race for his team, Hamilton was absolutely brilliant after the strategy blunder on the second formation lap, literally epic at passing cars all day with the move on Tsunoda being the highlight! Ocon answered every question asked of him by Vettel and deserved the win!
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

I'm so pleased for Ocon, but I have to say that I think Vettel deserved that win. He did an incredible outlap and had a pit stop that clearly cost him that bit of time. I also thought Ocon's late defence when vettel got close with the back markers was a bit too close to the limit. Other than that, great performance by both.

Hamilton's performance was great, but basically, he lost himself an incredibly easy win. Just looking at the results, it looks pretty poor that Hamilton lost out to the two ahead of him and despite his great drive after this, it's still down to him that he didn't win by half a lap or more.
It isn't the first time a mistake by hamilton has resulted in him giving himself a chance to show us he can recover, but this time, he didn't maximise the result, and his error was costly. That said, it wasn't really given what happened to Verstappen.

Verstappen did an incredible job if you look at the condition of his car.

I still find it so strange that when points are on offer, russell either hasn't been there, bad luck happens, or his team mate has been better. Latifi may have got a bit lucky at the start, but his pace looked great and he didn't drop back from Tsunoda. Russell started to close in near the end, but it is strange to think that Latifi beat him on merit this time and has got himself ahead in the standings.

I am pretty stuck with who to vote for. there are many.

Certainly Ocon, Vettel and Alonso though. But I think Given the damage, Verstappen deserves votes too. then I would also add Sainz and maybe Latifi too. I expected him to fall back from Tsnoda and get passed by far more drivers than he did, includign his team mate.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

Alonso

Hamilton

Ocon
Vettel, Gasly

Stroll gifted Ocon and Vettel P2 and 3 with his most stupid crashing into Leclerc, Mercedes gifted them the lead at the re-start, and Alonso saved them from getting caught by Hamilton. Still, Ocon held on to it with a fine drive!

How came that Russell was briefly second after the re-start stops despite being behind even Latifi in the formation lap?

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Alonso, Sainz, Ocon , Hamilton, Vettel

(My order, so Hamilton and Vettel not voted for)

Sainz deserves credit for reading the race as well as Chandok did. If the team has listened to him he may have kept third.

Alonso's defence against Hamilton denied Hamilton the win.

IDFD

Post by IDFD »

Ocon for me. An immense drive for your first win under pressure from a 4 times world champion

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Has to be Bottas. The precision with which he managed to hit Norris to then hit Verstappen was the kind of shot that Ronnie O'Sullivan would tip his hat to.

On a more serious note Ocon has to be a contender of course. Alonso, Hamilton, Verstappen, Vettel there are contenders all the way down in many ways.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

On the disappointing side, the obvious choices are Bottas and Stroll. However, I want to add Tsunoda: after the two start chaos, he was so much ahead of Gasly and still he ended up being clearly beaten again. He is not really fast (on top of making too many errors and permanently shouting at his team).

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

IDFD wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:40 pm
Ocon for me. An immense drive for your first win under pressure from a 4 times world champion
Agreed. His drive under pressure was nearly as great a Hamilton's from last place to third.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Ocon and Alonso. Nobody else comes close.

Yeboah24

Post by Yeboah24 »

Ocon and alonso. Hard to give it to lewis without knowing it was a team instruction thing to stay out due to there poor pit box position, other than that potential brain fade by lewis he had a solid drive. Arguably should have got by alonso sooner

TheGiantHogweed

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:32 pm
Alonso

Hamilton

Ocon
Vettel, Gasly

Stroll gifted Ocon and Vettel P2 and 3 with his most stupid crashing into Leclerc, Mercedes gifted them the lead at the re-start, and Alonso saved them from getting caught by Hamilton. Still, Ocon held on to it with a fine drive!

How came that Russell was briefly second after the re-start stops despite being behind even Latifi in the formation lap?
He had just pitted and happened to arrive at the queue of cars at the lights as it waas about to go green. He just overtook them all on the right then quickly drove past the last car as the lights went green. He was instructed to give back the positions instantly, but I am surprised it wasn't penalty worthy. Especially given things like crossing the line on the pit entry earns you a penalty. Even if it wasn't a rule that he broke, it was deliberate and did seem like cheating, so there should be a rule against passing in the manner he did.

Paolo_Lasardi

Post by Paolo_Lasardi »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:21 pm
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:32 pm
Alonso

Hamilton

Ocon
Vettel, Gasly

He had just pitted and happened to arrive at the queue of cars at the lights as it waas about to go green. He just overtook them all on the right then quickly drove past the last car as the lights went green. He was instructed to give back the positions instantly, but I am surprised it wasn't penalty worthy. Especially given things like crossing the line on the pit entry earns you a penalty. Even if it wasn't a rule that he broke, it was deliberate and did seem like cheating, so there should be a rule against passing in the manner he did.
Thank you very much for the information. :thumbup:

Shocking, how he was comfortably beaten by Latifi in the race, then. I thought he had technical issues - if not: a disappointing performance.

Furthermore, while overtaking in the pitlane is principally allowed, I am quite sure that overtaking a line of cars waiting at the red light is not. A penalty would have been justified.

f1madman

Post by f1madman »

Bottas - because no drama no excitement ;)
Pathfinder

Invade

Post by Invade »

I thought Hamilton's drive was outstanding. One other GOAT away from claiming a super famous victory today. Great craft from himself, fantastic craft from Alonso in defence for an all-time duel.

Alonso and Hamilton then.

Ocon third. Sainz fourth for his race read. Vettel fifth.

Next.

Invade

Post by Invade »

Oh yeah -- votes for Bottas today are completely legitimate.

TheGiantHogweed

Invade wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:51 pm
I thought Hamilton's drive was outstanding. One other GOAT away from claiming a super famous victory today. Great craft from himself, fantastic craft from Alonso in defence for an all-time duel.

Next.
May I ask, would Hamilton's drive have been this good in your view if he didn't have his blank moment at the start? That, like Imola and Britain was a mistake that made him produce a recovery drive. And this one, he really should have had a better result than he got. So that to me takes away from it being a great driver overall IMO.

Invade

Post by Invade »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:22 pm
Invade wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:51 pm

Next.
May I ask, would Hamilton's drive have been this good in your view if he didn't have his blank moment at the start? That, like Imola and Britain was a mistake that made him produce a recovery drive. And this one, he really should have had a better result than he got. So that to me takes away from it being a great driver overall IMO.
These bizarre incidents seem to follow Hamilton around, but I don't blame him for this one, so I'm not penalising him for it. Merc were in a tricky position, and they did choose the worse of the two options. They also seemed unaware that comms are actually fine on the formation lap of a standing restart. Thought it was a super demonstration from Hamilton. If he took more risk he could have won the race by clearing Alonso quicker, but given Verstappen's position on track there was no need to take the risk... nonetheless the win was there for him. Nonetheless, an epic effort.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Hamilton had the pace to lap the entire field easily today. He really should have won.

Invade

Post by Invade »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:32 pm
Hamilton had the pace to lap the entire field easily today. He really should have won.
Didn't make it a walk in the park to pass cars though. And I get the impression that a lot of Ham's race pace today was down to him - his pace was fantastic. Unfortunately no good direct comparisons with Bottas nuking the race for himself and several others and Max driving half a car.

I'd say not seeing Ham's driver today as at least very good is placing extraordinary expectations on him. On an aggressive strategy he was able to pound out the pace in a race-long sprint.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Invade wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:37 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Didn't make it a walk in the park to pass cars though. And I get the impression that a lot of Ham's race pace today was down to him - his pace was fantastic. Unfortunately no good direct comparisons with Bottas nuking the race for himself and several others and Max driving half a car.

I'd say not seeing Ham's driver today as at least very good is placing extraordinary expectations on him. On an aggressive strategy he was able to pound out the pace in a race-long sprint.
I don't think 3rd place exceeds expectations really. The win was definitely possible.

Invade

Post by Invade »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:56 pm
Invade wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I don't think 3rd place exceeds expectations really. The win was definitely possible.
He certainly made it look possible. Only he and Max would have, probably.

I think Max might have been more aggressive with Alonso even if Hamilton was languishing down in 10th or so. Could have resulted in the win, or a horrible racing incident.

But yeh I'm saying Hamilton makes things looks easy and distorts expectation. But I don't disagree that the win was definitely possible, as I stated the same myself also.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Invade wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:59 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Invade wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

He certainly made it look possible. Only he and Max would have, probably.

I think Max might have been more aggressive with Alonso even if Hamilton was languishing down in 10th or so. Could have resulted in the win, or a horrible racing incident.

But yeh I'm saying Hamilton makes things looks easy and distorts expectation. But I don't disagree that the win was definitely possible, as I stated the same myself also.
That's probably true. It wasn't a bad drive by any means. Just think there were better out there today.

IDFD

Post by IDFD »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Invade wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

You literally said in the race thread it's the second hardest circuit to overtake on and didn't expect anyone to come through the grid when I was saying if Max had a healthy enough car he'll still finish second.

Personally I wouldn't have Hamilton in the top 3 drivers but he literally did exceed the expectations of what you thought was possible as you didn't fancy Max for a podium after the restart if the car was healthy.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

IDFD wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:11 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Invade wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

You literally said in the race thread it's the second hardest circuit to overtake on and didn't expect anyone to come through the grid when I was saying if Max had a healthy enough car he'll still finish second.
I didn't expect Verstappen to have a car 2-3 seconds per lap faster than the entire field. And I never thought Max would have a healthy car.
Last edited by mikeyg123 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

Hamilton deserves it for his phenomenal start off the line second time around. Over 4 seconds clear by the first corner😆

IDFD

Post by IDFD »

Did Lewis have a car 2-3 seconds faster than the entire field? Or did he have a tyre offset to the field based on how early he pitted and then taking the extra stop?

As I said he literally exceeded the expectations of what you said when I added the caveat if Verstappens car is healthy after the red flag.

Typically though you seem to forget things you say. Your words were 'its the second hardest track on the calander to overtake on'

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

IDFD wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:15 pm
Did Lewis have a car 2-3 seconds faster than the entire field? Or did he have a tyre offset to the field based on how early he pitted and then taking the extra stop?

As I said he literally exceeded the expectations of what you said when I added the caveat if Verstappens car is healthy after the red flag.

Typically though you seem to forget things you say. Your words were 'its the second hardest track on the calander to overtake on'

I never expected Verstappen to have a car that quick. I'm not forgetting anything. If I thought Verstappen would have a car that rapid then yeah obviously top 3 possible. But I didn't. So no contradiction.

Badgeronimous

Post by Badgeronimous »

Hamilton had a super drive but... with 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th in the championship taken out of contention at turn one - his car was in a class of 1.

Hard to look beyond Ocon or Alonso for DotD.

IDFD

Post by IDFD »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:29 pm
IDFD wrote:

I never expected Verstappen to have a car that quick. I'm not forgetting anything. If I thought Verstappen would have a car that rapid then yeah obviously top 3 possible. But I didn't. So no contradiction.
Okay the post you responded to was literally

'Realistically Max should still finish second if he's fit to restart and they've had time to repair the car.'

Which you responded saying no because it's too difficult to overtake.

But hey ho I understand why you expect more from Lewis. And why you make up things like he was 4 seconds a lap faster ignoring it was because of the tyre offset he created by having the extra stop.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

IDFD wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:50 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:29 pm
IDFD wrote:

Okay the post you responded to was literally

'Realistically Max should still finish second if he's fit to restart and they've had time to repair the car.'

Which you responded saying no because it's too difficult to overtake.

But hey ho I understand why you expect more from Lewis. And why you make up things like he was 4 seconds a lap faster ignoring it was because of the tyre offset he created by having the extra stop.
I don't know how to say it any other way... When I made that prediction I wasn't expecting him to have a 2-3 second pace advantage on the entire field. So.... yeah

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

Alonso, and only Alonso. His defending from Hamilton was epic, proving that you actually can defend from a much faster car without forcing him off track or hitting him. Great stuff.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (9 wins, 23 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

SlipstreamF1

Post by SlipstreamF1 »

Mick for his stellar defense vs Max. There was no reason for him to make it easy for a guy driving half a car. I loved seeing him race against someone other than Mazepin.