Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
sidders

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

Post by sidders »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:32 pm
The move in question.........
Max could have quiet easily passed Lewis there. Much ado about nothing if you ask me

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

UnlikeUday wrote:

Excellent video, showing Verstappen had plenty of opportunity/space to overtake.

Nothing stopping him, other than his own choices.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Max can't overtake Lewis on the pit exit, because he'd get a penalty for crossing the white line.

He can't overtake into T1 because Lewis got the jump when he eventually accelerated. Out of the chicane, Lewis accelerates away, and then brakes once Max has committed to a line, ensuring he just has to cover where Max is to prevent the pass.
Anyone in or near North Wales interested in an RC car racing tournament?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Greenman wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:55 pm
UnlikeUday wrote:

Excellent video, showing Verstappen had plenty of opportunity/space to overtake.

When in that video could Verstappen have overtaken?

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:41 pm
Johnson wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:21 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:15 pm
Johnson wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:13 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:21 pm

Yep. It's totally legal but spoils it for me and I guess others. Time they introduced a minimum speed limit for qualifying.
There was a minimum speed
Yes, but that still allows you to drive at 5 mph during parts of the lap providing the lap average is fast enough. Unless there's a mechanical issue, surely a minimum speed is needed too.
Yes, so cars behind can overtake if you are super slow. Hamilton was a minute off the pace are you really suggesting it was not possible to overtake a car a minute off the pace.
No, I'm not suggesting they can't pass, but we all know drivers want to go last a lot of the time as the track gets cleaned with each lap that passes. Plus going off like gets dirt all over your nice, clean, sticky tyres. Also, the issues with drivers being blocked on fast laps by drivers on out/in laps would be reduced a little too.

We also need to ditch the need for an in-lap too, as I mentioned some races ago. Makes sense to not require them.
I guess they could put the timing line for qualifying, before the pit entry. So you can go into the pits as soon as your lap ends

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Johnson wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:19 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:41 pm
Johnson wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:21 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:15 pm
Johnson wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:13 pm

There was a minimum speed
Yes, but that still allows you to drive at 5 mph during parts of the lap providing the lap average is fast enough. Unless there's a mechanical issue, surely a minimum speed is needed too.
Yes, so cars behind can overtake if you are super slow. Hamilton was a minute off the pace are you really suggesting it was not possible to overtake a car a minute off the pace.
No, I'm not suggesting they can't pass, but we all know drivers want to go last a lot of the time as the track gets cleaned with each lap that passes. Plus going off like gets dirt all over your nice, clean, sticky tyres. Also, the issues with drivers being blocked on fast laps by drivers on out/in laps would be reduced a little too.

We also need to ditch the need for an in-lap too, as I mentioned some races ago. Makes sense to not require them.
I guess they could put the timing line for qualifying, before the pit entry. So you can go into the pits as soon as your lap ends
That's exactly what they do in Indycar. Works brilliantly. Reduces the number of cars on track during quali, saves a decent amount of fuel over a season too. It's a totally unnecessary lap. Does anyone want to do the maths on the rough number of in laps per season? I guess I could!!!!!
Instagram @italian_car_pictures

Option or Prime

Post by Option or Prime »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:17 pm
Greenman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

So what are you actually saying, the WDC championship leader is unable to overtake at that sort of speed? If so he might as well give up his quest for his first championship now.

He chooses to stay behind Hamilton to get a tow. His choice!

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Pretty scummy tactics from Hamilton.

Without having read any of the posts in here I wonder how those calling for Red Bull to be fined and so on for 'discracing' the sport etc will react :twisted: . Since that was a far worse look for the sport than anything Horner or Marko have said to the media over the last couple of weeks.

Not a problem for me, since I'm of the opinion that drivers and team principals will do and say whatever they can to gain an advantage, and that so long as no rules are broken, it's all fine and to be expected. But I do imagine the sweet smell of hypocrisy will be quite pungent around here after that.

IDFD

Post by IDFD »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:05 pm

Without having read any of the posts in here I wonder how those calling for Red Bull to be fined and so on for 'discracing' the sport etc will react :twisted: . Since that was a far worse look for the sport than anything Horner or Marko have said to the media over the last couple of weeks.

Not a problem for me, since I'm of the opinion that drivers and team principals will do and say whatever they can to gain an advantage, and that so long as no rules are broken, it's all fine and to be expected. But I do imagine the sweet smell of hypocrisy will be quite pungent around here after that.
As I've already highlighted Lewis done three slower outlaps throughout quali. Even Redbull didn't think it was anything worth talking about and that Hamilton was within his right to do what he done.

I'd say any bias is considering this scummy but excusing the Redbull behaviour.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

IDFD wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:11 pm
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:05 pm

As I've already highlighted Lewis done three slower outlaps throughout quali. Even Redbull didn't think it was anything worth talking about and that Hamilton was within his right to do what he done.

I'd say any bias is considering this scummy but excusing the Redbull behaviour.
Both are fine as far as I'm concerned, doesnt stop it being an underhand tactic from Hamilton.

As I said, this isnt a problem for me ;)

IDFD

Post by IDFD »

Is it underhand if it's literally faster than most of his outlaps? Not sure why you choose to ignore that but hey ho. Your agenda.

In case you missed it so wern't aware. Which is all I can assume.

https://twitter.com/Parham4z/status/142 ... 96676?s=20

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

IDFD wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:24 pm
Is it underhand if it's literally faster than most of his outlaps? Not sure why you choose to ignore that but hey ho. Your agenda.

It was clearly slower at the end of the lap in an attempt to make Max and Perez miss the line, which was semi successful. As evidenced by their tyres being in no fit state to set a halfway decent time.

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:39 pm
How much slower was Hamilton compared to his previous out-laps?
Faster

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:04 pm
Johnson wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:57 pm
Tufty wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:37 pm
Johnson wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:36 pm
Tufty wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:31 pm

Lewis was flooring it on straights where the RB cars might pass him. Then almost stopping where they couldn't.
Think about what you are saying, Hamilton was driving around 20 seconds a lap off the pace but could not be overtaken?
Not without risking a crash and killing the tyres. Lewis used the pace where he had to on a track that's notoriously hard to race on.
Sorry he wasn’t 20 seconds slower. Lewis did a 2 minute 10 seconds for his first run and a 2 minute 7 seconds for his 2nd lap (where he held up Verstappen) he was driving 1 minute off the pace but not possible to overtake…
So, Hamilton actually did a quicker out-lap than before his pole lap.
Yes he did.

IDFD

Post by IDFD »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:26 pm
IDFD wrote:

It was clearly slower at the end of the lap in an attempt to make Max and Perez miss the line, which was semi successful. As evidenced by their tyres being in no fit state to set a halfway decent time.
If you can provide any evidence of his S3 being much slower than previous laps please do provide it. It seems unlikely given his lap times wern't slower than his other outlaps.

Hamiltons previous outlap wasn't shown on TV so not sure how you know it wasn't how he built up to previous laps and created the gap Infront.

He must have flown round the middle sector as others are moaning he was practically parked on track through S1.

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

IDFD wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:16 pm
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
IDFD wrote:

If you can provide any evidence of his S3 being much slower than previous laps please do provide it. It seems unlikely given his lap times wern't slower than his other outlaps.

Hamiltons previous outlap wasn't shown on TV so not sure how you know it wasn't how he built up to previous laps and created the gap Infront.

He must have flown round the middle sector as others are moaning he was practically parked on track through S1.
I can't believe anyone is actually going to try and argue he didn't deliberately drive slowly :lol:

It was clear from the pit lane and exit what was happening. We saw the whole thing from Max's onboard and saw Hamilton drive at a reasonable speed in the places that Max could overtake and slow to a crawl in the places overtaking wasn't possible. Such as immediately after the slow chicane (T7/8?).

Regardless of the overall time he clearly drove slow at critical points in the lap for tyre warming. Why else would he lock up due to cold tyres at the last corner? And why else would his and Max's tyres be so clearly unprepared for the lap?

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Rockie wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:46 pm
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:39 pm
How much slower was Hamilton compared to his previous out-laps?
Wasn't any slower, where he really did the damage was in the pit lane as the clock does not start till you leave the pit lane.
Which is immaterial because he still caught back up to Bottas, Max was clearly after a tow from Hamilton as he clearly chose to position his car directly behind Hamilton, his only chance to deprive Hamilton of pole position, if he had not waited for help off Hamilton I think he would have beat Bottas to grid 2.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 99 (1st)
Pole Positions: 101 (1st)
Podiums: 175 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

IDFD

Post by IDFD »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:47 pm
IDFD wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
IDFD wrote:

I can't believe anyone is actually going to try and argue he didn't deliberately drive slowly :lol:

It was clear from the pit lane and exit what was happening. We saw the whole thing from Max's onboard and saw Hamilton drive at a reasonable speed in the places that Max could overtake and slow to a crawl in the places overtaking wasn't possible. Such as immediately after the slow chicane (T7/8?).

Regardless of the overall time he clearly drove slow at critical points in the lap for tyre warming. Why else would he lock up due to cold tyres at the last corner? And why else would his and Max's tyres be so clearly unprepared for the lap?
He factually drove no slower than his previous outlap. Or the one before that. He may have drove slower than Max or Perez would have liked but he didn't drive slower than he had been on his outlaps prior to the final run.

Wasn't Verstappen was the only driver (other than Norris who was on a used set on his first run) to improve on his first run on a track that clearly deteriorated? Couldn't have been that unprepared.

Yeboah24

Post by Yeboah24 »

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
IDFD wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
IDFD wrote:

Why are you ignoring

The video from max on board in the pit lane showing lewis had cars ahead
Evidence lewis outlap wasnt slow
Evidence lewis left the same gap everyone else did to the car in front

I suggest you go on the autosport forum theres a few pieces as per above.

Blinkered my friend

Black_Flag_11

Post by Black_Flag_11 »

Yeboah24 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:27 pm
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
IDFD wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
IDFD wrote:

Why are you ignoring

The video from max on board in the pit lane showing lewis had cars ahead
Evidence lewis outlap wasnt slow
Evidence lewis left the same gap everyone else did to the car in front

I suggest you go on the autosport forum theres a few pieces as per above.

Blinkered my friend
Haven't ignored it, addressed it above so I'll simply point you there.

Deluded.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Option or Prime wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:28 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Greenman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

So what are you actually saying, the WDC championship leader is unable to overtake at that sort of speed? If so he might as well give up his quest for his first championship now.

He actually looks to pass at one point but Hamilton blocks. There is no safe opportunity to pass.

If I'm wrong maybe you could tell me where in the video Verstappen could have passed?

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:28 pm
Option or Prime wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Greenman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

He actually looks to pass at one point but Hamilton blocks. There is no safe opportunity to pass.

If I'm wrong maybe you could tell me where in the video Verstappen could have passed?
If anyone is seriously arguing that Max Verstappen was totally unable to pass a car driving something like 15 seconds off the pace then it's time to give your head a wobble.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:50 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:28 pm
Option or Prime wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Greenman wrote:

If anyone is seriously arguing that Max Verstappen was totally unable to pass a car driving something like 15 seconds off the pace then it's time to give your head a wobble.
Nobody is arguing that.

BMWSauber84

Post by BMWSauber84 »

You seem to be arguing exactly that. Do you or do you not think that Verstappen couldnhave passed on that out lap if he chose to?

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:11 pm
You seem to be arguing exactly that. Do you or do you not think that Verstappen couldnhave passed on that out lap if he chose to?
Not what people would call safely due to Hamilton's car positioning (I don't think Hamilton did anything wrong).

Verstappen would have had to risk contact to pass and everyone criticising him for not passing would be criticising him for taking unnecessary risks had he passed.

Because it would have been risky.

IDFD

Post by IDFD »

Maybe this will help some get over it and realise Lewis wasn't doing anything wrong. Check the timings for Lewis and Bottas, why he was slow in the pits and that he was faster from pit exit to starting his Q3 lap than he was in his final run of Q1. It really is people ignoring the facts to find a reason to have a go.
It is obvious that, in the wake of the huge Silverstone controversy, any close running between Hamilton and Verstappen now will be put under the spotlight – but both Red Bull and Mercedes were clear that this time there was nothing nefarious going on.....

...Indeed, as Horner pointed out, there was nothing that Hamilton did that was untoward, unexpected nor against the rules in driving slowly like he did at the end of Q3.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/why-h ... h/6640084/

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

When it saw it happening live, I thought it was gamesmanship between Hamilton and Verstappen, because Verstappen looked to feint a move to pass Hamilton in the pitlane and he seemed to respond by driving really slowly.

But when you look at the driver tracker of the final lap, Hamilton's distance to Bottas is the same to Ocon is the same to Norris (who has by far the biggest gap to Alonso) and the Alonso to Leclerc gap is the same as Hamilton/Bottas.

The slowing down in the pitlane was just like when everyone brakes on the motorway and it cascades back faster because everyone is so close. It was also Hamilton's only opportunity to get a buffer to manage his gap to Bottas, but by Turn 2 normal service had resumed. It had zero effect on Perez not making his lap. If any driver ahead in the queue is responsible for that, it is Norris. But let's call this for what it was, a screw up by Red Bull and nothing else.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Wonder if Albon will be asked to recreate the out lap similar to Hamilton's?
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Qualy times assembled:

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

FormulaFun

Post by FormulaFun »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:55 am
When it saw it happening live, I thought it was gamesmanship between Hamilton and Verstappen, because Verstappen looked to feint a move to pass Hamilton in the pitlane and he seemed to respond by driving really slowly.

But when you look at the driver tracker of the final lap, Hamilton's distance to Bottas is the same to Ocon is the same to Norris (who has by far the biggest gap to Alonso) and the Alonso to Leclerc gap is the same as Hamilton/Bottas.

The slowing down in the pitlane was just like when everyone brakes on the motorway and it cascades back faster because everyone is so close. It was also Hamilton's only opportunity to get a buffer to manage his gap to Bottas, but by Turn 2 normal service had resumed. It had zero effect on Perez not making his lap. If any driver ahead in the queue is responsible for that, it is Norris. But let's call this for what it was, a screw up by Red Bull and nothing else.

Lol watching that tracker just makes you see how ridiculous this all is

Clarky

Post by Clarky »

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:55 am

:thumbup:

Thanks for this Alien. I think it puts all the nonsense to bed frankly.

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

There you have it, well that’s that cleared up. Quite a few posters jumped the gun here. I even read that Hamilton did what Alonso did to him in 2007... The only driver doing something different to the others was Verstappen.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Fair enough, I stand corrected. It was very poorly framed by FOM then, they made a big show of everywhere Lewis was slow, with limited context.
Anyone in or near North Wales interested in an RC car racing tournament?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth