2021 Drivers Points/£m

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
DOLOMITE

2021 Drivers Points/£m

Post by DOLOMITE »

So from the PF1 main page, if you believe/trust the salaries, who is providing the best return on investment and who is proving to be a waste of £

Points/£m
Norris: 13
Bottas: 11
Sainz: 9
Leclerc: 7
Perez: 6
Ricciardo: 5
Verstappen:4
Hamilton: 3
Vettel: 2
Alonso: 1

Shame we don't know Strolls salary.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Exediron

Re: 2021 Drivers Points/£m

Post by Exediron »

I don't trust the P-F1 information (or any other, really), but I would agree that Norris is almost certainly the best value on the grid.

One thing to consider -- although it would be complicated to create a formula to adjust for -- is the point earning potential of the car. It's far easier to deliver points in a Mercedes, so the question is really how many added points does the driver contribute compared to a 'replacement level' driver? Is Bottas providing as much extra scoring as Norris, or is it just easier to score in that car?

As someone who loves math and formulas, I now feel like I ought to try to work something like that out...
PICK 10 COMPETITION (9 wins, 23 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Exediron wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:52 pm
I don't trust the P-F1 information (or any other, really), but I would agree that Norris is almost certainly the best value on the grid.

One thing to consider -- although it would be complicated to create a formula to adjust for -- is the point earning potential of the car. It's far easier to deliver points in a Mercedes, so the question is really how many added points does the driver contribute compared to a 'replacement level' driver? Is Bottas providing as much extra scoring as Norris, or is it just easier to score in that car?

As someone who loves math and formulas, I now feel like I ought to try to work something like that out...
Could you create a ranking of the cars and then you can calculate the number of points that car should score on that particular weekend. Then you can work out how many points a driver added (or took away)?

EPROM

Post by EPROM »

Salary is not the only team expense, though. Prize money and advertising revenue returned from differential points (and contract terms) against TCO would be a better measure.

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

JN23 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:48 pm
Exediron wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:52 pm

Could you create a ranking of the cars and then you can calculate the number of points that car should score on that particular weekend. Then you can work out how many points a driver added (or took away)?
Yeah I think I did similar to this in previous years but not in relation to salary. Rank the cars and then drivers within the team to get a max potential score.

Assume the best cars, drivers are ranked
Red Bull (Ver>Per)
Merc (Ham>Bot)
McLaren (Ric>Nor)
Ferrari (Lec>Sai)

You get
Driver: Pts/Max Pts = %
VER: 185/250 = 74%
HAM: 177/150 = 118%
NOR: 113/80 = 141%
BOT: 108/120 = 90%
PER: 104/180 = 58%
LEC: 80/60 = 133%
SAI: 68/40 = 170%
RIC: 50/100 = 50%

Is that what you meant? Problem will be someone will chip in and say "yeah but at circuit X, Red Bull was NOT the best car" wah wah wah.

anyway it pretty much works, Hamilton is scoring points that really should Perez's, Norris is over-achieving, and the Ferrari pair are doing a tidy job of picking up the points Ricciardo should be scoring.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss