Abu Dhabi changes.

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
wire2004

Abu Dhabi changes.

Post by wire2004 »

No pictures or renders yet. But they sound extremely positive actually.

In a nutshell. It sounds like turns 4 5 and 6 are changing. So we lose the chicane before the back straight and 1st drs zone.

The second change that seems to be happening is the removal of the triple chicane after the 2nd straight. 2nd drs zone and support plane. And that will be changing to a banked left curve. That seems to be removing turns 11,12,13 and 14.

Sounds positive actually and I'm looking forward to the changes.

Good luck to codemasters who will have yet another track redesign to do before the release of the game in a little over 3/4 weeks. That's imola. Portamo. Saudi. Australia reconfigured and now Abu Dhabi reconfigured.

Siao7

Re: Abu Dhabi changes.

Post by Siao7 »

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

I didnt expect the changed to be so severe at turned 4 is the artist impression is to be believed. I thought they would just utilise what they haveat that turn and just not use the chicane and install some safety barriers and tec pro barriers to make it safe. It would be akin to the chicane at Monaco in relation to speed and safety.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Siao7 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:38 pm
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 36x864.jpg

From Racefans
I had posted this pic in the Interesting & funny pics thread.

Here it is for view:

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

j man

Post by j man »

Interesting, a definite improvement in both areas which were terrible pieces of track design. I'm hopeful that we'll see some decent side by side action into the new turn 11, that chicane and the fiddly off-camber turn following it killed off any racing that the preceding straight might have set up.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Definitely good changes but why in holy hell would someone who designs tracks for living not design this the first time.

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:07 pm
Definitely good changes but why in holy hell would someone who designs tracks for living not design this the first time.
Would the thought process not be that long straight, after and followed by tight corners and heavy braking zones, increasing acceleration and braking would be better for racing/overtakes?

Just playing devils advocate. Changes look promising though, especially turn 11.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

WHoff78 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:45 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:07 pm
Would the thought process not be that long straight, after and followed by tight corners and heavy braking zones, increasing acceleration and braking would be better for racing/overtakes?

Just playing devils advocate. Changes look promising though, especially turn 11.
Maybe that was the case for turn 11 but the chicane before the hairpin in sector 1... Always going to string the cars out.

Alienturnedhuman

Post by Alienturnedhuman »

Motorsport magazine has an aerial view rendering of the track with the changes (don't know if it's official but it seems too high quality for the magazine to have commissioned at such short notice) and it looks very similar to the racefans diagram.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... -f1-finale

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

Should the removal of the "stadium-section-type" parts of the circuit favour some team over others? I'm guessing Mercedes are happier than RB?

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

I've had a little short of 24 hours to reflect on the changes. And I have new opinions and views.

Having looking at the new rendering that motorsports magazine have on there. As much as the changes for the most part look positive. Having looked at the changes more. The changes maybe are worse. The new sections present 3. overtaking opportunities. Whereas In theory. The current layout present 4 opportunities. The track now looks alot more flowing. Which is positive. But we lose a overtaking opportunity at the revised turn 11.,12,13 triple chicane that is changing.

I like the changes for the most part. Its flowing and looks slightly faster. BUT. we need a reconstruction around the hotel section to get another 2,3,4, 5 overtaking opportunities. That's what I think we are now missing on this circuit.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

They can't do anything about the hotel.
Anyone in or near North Wales interested in an RC car racing tournament?

wire2004

Post by wire2004 »

Ibknow we cant do anything with the hotel. We could look tondo more around the area though. Maybe after the current turn 15. The high speed triple right hander. After the 1st kink. It goes straight ahead. And leads into a straight before a tight hairpin. And then a curved left hander before joining back at the track at the hotel. Atleast it will create another overtaking opportunity

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

I’ve always hated just how angular the corners were in AD. The apex never follows the racing line through a corner, they’re all just jagged lumps which stick into the track.

These proposals look like a definite improvement, although that’s not saying an awful lot.
I remember when this website was all fields.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

This is the official changed layout:

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Banana Man wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:01 pm
I’ve always hated just how angular the corners were in AD. The apex never follows the racing line through a corner, they’re all just jagged lumps which stick into the track.

These proposals look like a definite improvement, although that’s not saying an awful lot.
In theory, that should have meant a lot of awkward corners where mistakes are likely. In practice it just made for a mess. What I don't understand is the sheer volume of truly great circuits around the world that Tilke could steal inspiration from. Including one or two of his own designs. I fervently believe that the actual track layout should be designed by drivers, and Tilke should handle the various buildings and access points around it.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Tufty wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:24 am
Banana Man wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:01 pm

In theory, that should have meant a lot of awkward corners where mistakes are likely. In practice it just made for a mess. What I don't understand is the sheer volume of truly great circuits around the world that Tilke could steal inspiration from. Including one or two of his own designs. I fervently believe that the actual track layout should be designed by drivers, and Tilke should handle the various buildings and access points around it.
Let's see how good the Alex Wurz designed Saudi Arabia track is when we get it in a few years :thumbup:

I've already been impressed by his ideas for Zandvoort.

Banana Man

Post by Banana Man »

I always thought it’d be good to see a 270 degree corner, which cuts back under itself with a short bridge/tunnel, somewhere. A bit of a gimmick but it’d be a real test of mechanical grip and minimum apex speed.
I remember when this website was all fields.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Banana Man wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:01 pm
I always thought it’d be good to see a 270 degree corner, which cuts back under itself with a short bridge/tunnel, somewhere. A bit of a gimmick but it’d be a real test of mechanical grip and minimum apex speed.
Obligatory feature of any good Scalextric track :D

(Not that I'm downplaying your idea, I'd love to see it too!)

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Banana Man wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:01 pm
Isn't turn 1 at Shanghai a bit like that? It doesn't cut under itself but it's close to, if not, 270 degrees.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Basically, yes, but the hairpin back to the left makes a very different dynamic on the exit.