F1_Ernie wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:55 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:32 am
F1_Ernie wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:26 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:24 pm

No it's far less. We see every race a driver overtake and then not pull away by anything like the amount he says.
I would say its spot on for equal cars at the front, been one of the problems in f1 for a good while now.
Well, we ended up having the evidence... Verstappen was definitely not 1.6 seconds a lap faster than Hamilton when he made the overtake and it wasn't marginal.
Verstappen was 1.8 seconds faster on the lap of the overtake then 1.9 seconds faster on the lap after. In equal cars at the front you always have to be much quicker than the other car to even try an overtake, Hamilton sat under a second for many laps but couldnt even get close with DRS. Im not saying its 1.6 but its always around 1 second or more on the majority of circuits for equal cars at the front.
Yes of course Hamilton was much slower on those laps. Hamilton was overtaken and negatively effected by the dirty air. That's a 2 second loss over those two laps. Look at the pace difference on the lap before the overtake to actually get a fair representation.
I have looked, on laps 50 and 52 Verstappen did 36.9, 51 was a 37.4 which is probably including the dirty air Verstappen was in behind Hamilton. Lap 50 1 second quicker then Lap 51 8 tenths quicker. The two laps before the overtake Hamilton did 37.9 and 38.2 while Verstappen was doing 36.9 on lap 50. It's just my opinion but Verstappen was around 1 to 1.2 seconds quicker at that point in the race but those tyres could have gone off at any point. I personally feel Verstappen got more affected by the dirty air as you could see his car sliding, Hamilton got some slipstream and then Verstappen pulled away. I also think Hamilton made the overtake easier than it could have been.

I dont know why Crofty said 1.6 seconds, his obviously been told it from someone.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

mikeyg123

Re: 2021 French Grand Prix Race Thread

Post by mikeyg123 »

F1_Ernie wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:57 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:35 am
F1_Ernie wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:55 am
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:32 am
F1_Ernie wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:26 pm

I would say its spot on for equal cars at the front, been one of the problems in f1 for a good while now.
Well, we ended up having the evidence... Verstappen was definitely not 1.6 seconds a lap faster than Hamilton when he made the overtake and it wasn't marginal.
Verstappen was 1.8 seconds faster on the lap of the overtake then 1.9 seconds faster on the lap after. In equal cars at the front you always have to be much quicker than the other car to even try an overtake, Hamilton sat under a second for many laps but couldnt even get close with DRS. Im not saying its 1.6 but its always around 1 second or more on the majority of circuits for equal cars at the front.
Yes of course Hamilton was much slower on those laps. Hamilton was overtaken and negatively effected by the dirty air. That's a 2 second loss over those two laps. Look at the pace difference on the lap before the overtake to actually get a fair representation.
I have looked, on laps 50 and 52 Verstappen did 36.9, 51 was a 37.4 which is probably including the dirty air Verstappen was in behind Hamilton. Lap 50 1 second quicker then Lap 51 8 tenths quicker. The two laps before the overtake Hamilton did 37.9 and 38.2 while Verstappen was doing 36.9 on lap 50. It's just my opinion but Verstappen was around 1 to 1.2 seconds quicker at that point in the race but those tyres could have gone off at any point. I personally feel Verstappen got more affected by the dirty air as you could see his car sliding, Hamilton got some slipstream and then Verstappen pulled away. I also think Hamilton made the overtake easier than it could have been.

I dont know why Crofty said 1.6 seconds, his obviously been told it from someone.
So you agree with me then. 1.6 seconds was way off. He quotes the same AWS stat every race and it's always a huge overestimate.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Just had a thought.... If Verstappen could undercut Hamilton by 3 seconds why did Bottas fail to undercut Verstappen? Surely it should have been very possible?

F1_Ernie

Post by F1_Ernie »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:21 am
Just had a thought.... If Verstappen could undercut Hamilton by 3 seconds why did Bottas fail to undercut Verstappen? Surely it should have been very possible?
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... grand-prix

Apparently it's the way the Redbull fires up its tyres
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

Covalent

Post by Covalent »

F1_Ernie wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:28 am
mikeyg123 wrote:

Yeah and Verstappen responded faster to the threat of the undercut than what Hamilton did.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

F1_Ernie wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:28 am
mikeyg123 wrote:

Odd then that Hamilton was able to stay very close to Verstappen on his outlap despite being on cold tyres.

Delphic

Post by Delphic »

Johnson wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:45 am
nabby81 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:51 am
With Gap between Ham and Bot going into first stops , it occurs to me that they could of double stacked them ..even if Bot lost an extra second in the pits it wouldn't of hurt him too much and would have benefited Ham..

To me seems RB took a low downforce approach knowing that even if Tyres went off staying close to them in the first section with the turbulance would be tricky and then the extra straight line speed would keep them safe on the straight.Which is what happened when Max got in front after the stops , Ham couldn't get anywhere near close enough even with DRS.

Merc the minute Ham started to fall back from Max should of pitted knowing the undercut would get him back in and Max was going to have to pit again as he was also complaining of Tyre Deg.The argument is if Bot had kept Max behind for one more lap Ham might have just about got it home.
They did not need to double stack. Bottas pitted on lap 17, Max 18, Lewis 19. They just needed to put Lewis on lap 18. Obvious. Especially seeing Bottas’ purples on his out lap and how huge the undercut was.
Did LH pit on the next lap after Max? I thought he waited for 2 laps at least, but I could be wrong. I dont remember and dont feel like checking.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Delphic wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:37 pm
Johnson wrote:
nabby81 wrote:
With Gap between Ham and Bot going into first stops , it occurs to me that they could of double stacked them ..even if Bot lost an extra second in the pits it wouldn't of hurt him too much and would have benefited Ham..

To me seems RB took a low downforce approach knowing that even if Tyres went off staying close to them in the first section with the turbulance would be tricky and then the extra straight line speed would keep them safe on the straight.Which is what happened when Max got in front after the stops , Ham couldn't get anywhere near close enough even with DRS.

Merc the minute Ham started to fall back from Max should of pitted knowing the undercut would get him back in and Max was going to have to pit again as he was also complaining of Tyre Deg.The argument is if Bot had kept Max behind for one more lap Ham might have just about got it home.
They did not need to double stack. Bottas pitted on lap 17, Max 18, Lewis 19. They just needed to put Lewis on lap 18. Obvious. Especially seeing Bottas’ purples on his out lap and how huge the undercut was.
Did LH pit on the next lap after Max? I thought he waited for 2 laps at least, but I could be wrong. I dont remember and dont feel like checking.
Yep he did the pit the lap after. UnlikeUday posted the pit stop graphic about a third of the way down page five

Delphic

Post by Delphic »

JN23 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:41 pm
Delphic wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:37 pm
Johnson wrote:
nabby81 wrote:

Yep he did the pit the lap after. UnlikeUday posted the pit stop graphic about a third of the way down page five
Yep! Read about it now.

For some reason the graphics dont load for me.

Johnson

Post by Johnson »

mikeyg123 wrote:
A combination of things-

Bottas was 2.7 behind as he pitted, however..

1) Verstappen was 0.8 quicker through the pit lane
2) Max had a strong in lap pace

Verstappen was 3.0 behind as he pitted
1) Verstappen was 0.5 quicker through the pit lane
2) Verstappen in lap was only 0.1 quicker
3) Verstappens out lap was 0.4 quicker than Bottas’

So the biggest factor was the speed of the pit stops. Hamilton emerged from the pits 0.1 behind Max, if they had equal stops, Hamilton would have held the lead. Also if Bottas had had an equal stop to Max he would have come out right on his rear wing almost alongside.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Top 3 post-race interview...

Feel The Fourth

A.J.

Post by A.J. »

Johnson wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:21 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
A combination of things-

So the biggest factor was the speed of the pit stops. Hamilton emerged from the pits 0.1 behind Max, if they had equal stops, Hamilton would have held the lead. Also if Bottas had had an equal stop to Max he would have come out right on his rear wing almost alongside.
Unless my memory fails me, I distinctly remember Hamilton's stop being 0.1s quicker than Verstappen's.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

A.J. wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:28 pm
Johnson wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
A combination of things-

Unless my memory fails me, I distinctly remember Hamilton's stop being 0.1s quicker than Verstappen's.
Yep and that doesn't contradict what Johnson said. Hamilton's pitstop was faster but Verstappen was quicker through the pitlane, everything combined.

A.J.

Post by A.J. »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:05 pm
A.J. wrote:
Johnson wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
A combination of things-

Yep and that doesn't contradict what Johnson said. Hamilton's pitstop was faster but Verstappen was quicker through the pitlane, everything combined.
Since he said (and I quote) that the biggest factor was "the speed of the pit stops", and if Hamilton and Verstappen had equal stops Hamilton would have the lead, it kind of does contradict what he said.

Hamilton had the faster pit stop - if both had equal pitstops, Hamilton would have emerged 0.2s behind instead of 0.1

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

A.J. wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:23 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
A.J. wrote:
Johnson wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
A combination of things-

Since he said (and I quote) that the biggest factor was "the speed of the pit stops", and if Hamilton and Verstappen had equal stops Hamilton would have the lead, it kind of does contradict what he said.

Hamilton had the faster pit stop - if both had equal pitstops, Hamilton would have emerged 0.2s behind instead of 0.1
Yes we know. Given the stat Johnson quoted it's clear what he meant and Hamilton's total pit time was slower than Verstappen's. No need to be pedantic about it.

A.J.

Post by A.J. »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:43 pm
A.J. wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
A.J. wrote:
Johnson wrote:

A combination of things-

Yes we know. Given the stat Johnson quoted it's clear what he meant and Hamilton's total pit time was slower than Verstappen's. No need to be pedantic about it.
It's also quite clear that the blame is being shifted from Hamilton being slower in the pits (for whatever reason) to it being a slower pitstop by the team.

And you can voice your opinion without needing to be aggressive.

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

A.J. wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:58 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:43 pm
A.J. wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
A.J. wrote:

It's also quite clear that the blame is being shifted from Hamilton being slower in the pits (for whatever reason) to it being a slower pitstop by the team.

And you can voice your opinion without needing to be aggressive.
It’s a very rare occasion where I find myself agreeing with AJ, although I do personally feel that referring shift of blame is somewhat dramatic.

It’s actually a quite important point looking forward that Merc didn’t lose the time during the stopped portion of the pitstop as this phase has typically cost them anywhere from 2-5 tenths. Merc were definitely a little casual / risk averse in the pit stop phase, but I think some of that is communication and being too comfortable. They lost time where it is probably easiest to find it in future races though. It even sounded from the radio messages that Hamilton wasn’t even clear how long to stay out and how hard to push everything. I think they thought they had still had options at that stage which they clearly did not. Merc are really being tested now – about time really.

WHoff78

Post by WHoff78 »

And when I say Merc...I do include Hamilton and the lost time in/out of the pits.

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jgeljv2NNM

race rerun already. They really put so much effort into this! :D

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Great teamwork by Red Bull. Max even thanked Checo for allowing him to go through.
Feel The Fourth

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

What was up with Ferrari this race? Both Sainz and Leclerc went many places backwards. In qualifying, their car certainly looked better than Aston Martin for example, But in the race, Stroll managed to go from 19th to beating Sainz. While Sainz started 5th and finished 11th. Given it was both drivers struggling, I don't think it was the drivers to blame this time. That car looked pretty bad on race day.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:38 am
What was up with Ferrari this race? Both Sainz and Leclerc went many places backwards. In qualifying, their car certainly looked better than Aston Martin for example, But in the race, Stroll managed to go from 19th to beating Sainz. While Sainz started 5th and finished 11th. Given it was both drivers struggling, I don't think it was the drivers to blame this time. That car looked pretty bad on race day.
I think they struggled with the tyres, couldn't get anything out of them, especially the mediums

Rockie

Post by Rockie »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:38 am
It's what happens when you set your car up to warm the tyres up quickly in the long run you eat them up.

Also seems they are affected by the new mandated tyre pressures.

Exediron

Post by Exediron »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:19 am
So you agree with me then. 1.6 seconds was way off. He quotes the same AWS stat every race and it's always a huge overestimate.
I think the number Crofty quotes is basically the pace advantage you need to just drive past someone, e.g. to overtake without losing any time. A contested overtake can happen with far less pace advantage, or even sometimes none at all.

And yes, it does bother me that he spouts out this obviously false fact several times per broadcast. But that's par for the course with Crofty commentating. He also loves talking about how there's no tyre left by the end of a qualifying lap.
PICK 10 COMPETITION (7 wins, 21 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017 & 2019
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion

pc27b

Post by pc27b »

turns out the mistake in turn 2 by max, created a nice change of strategy for all of us to watch. doubt red bull goes to a 2 stopper, if he was still in the lead

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Exediron wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:45 pm
mikeyg123 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:19 am
I think the number Crofty quotes is basically the pace advantage you need to just drive past someone, e.g. to overtake without losing any time. A contested overtake can happen with far less pace advantage, or even sometimes none at all.

And yes, it does bother me that he spouts out this obviously false fact several times per broadcast. But that's par for the course with Crofty commentating. He also loves talking about how there's no tyre left by the end of a qualifying lap.
How do they even calculate that though?

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

IMO this is ugly track and not really good track but it was amazing race and surprisingly Max was able to overtake this time. I was sure Mercedes would have delayed him but good aggressive strategy by RBR. I think Mercedes had clear advantage on hard tyres and probably Max would not be able to keep up when both Mercedes were hunting Max. One small mistake and both would have gone ahead. Good performance from Perez as well. He was never in the fight for top3 but his pace was good to keep tyres in good shape.

Not sure what happened to Ferrari. But it was good race for Mclaren and midfield from P6-P9 separated by only 4secs.
https://www.formula1.com/en/results.htm ... esult.html
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"