2022 18" tyres tested.

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Asphalt_World

2022 18" tyres tested.

Post by Asphalt_World »

Charles Leclerc completed 87 laps with 2022 18-inch tyres this afternoon at the Bahrain circuit.

motorsport.com
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

MistaVega23

Re: 2022 18" tyres tested.

Post by MistaVega23 »

Might be a stupid question but what will the performance difference be? I haven't looked into it yet...
#KeepFightingMichael

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

They do look weird...

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

MistaVega23 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:15 pm
Might be a stupid question but what will the performance difference be? I haven't looked into it yet...
I don't know, but I guess the much smaller sidewall means they will be a lot stiffer. I assume the cars will maybe need more suspension travel to cope with hitting kerbs as an awful lot of that is currently absorbed by the side of the tyres squishing.

I'd like to think that they will be more puncture-proof when it comes to being clipped by a front wing.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:12 pm
MistaVega23 wrote:
I don't know, but I guess the much smaller sidewall means they will be a lot stiffer. I assume the cars will maybe need more suspension travel to cope with hitting kerbs as an awful lot of that is currently absorbed by the side of the tyres squishing.

I'd like to think that they will be more puncture-proof when it comes to being clipped by a front wing.
Good point, less sidewall, less compromised when hit by a front wing.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

Siao7 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:05 pm
Asphalt_World wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

Good point, less sidewall, less compromised when hit by a front wing.
Well, I hope this is the case. One of the things I find most frustrating about F1 is drivers having a race ruined because of the driver behind making minimal contact with their front wing.

iano

Post by iano »

But less sidewall means the sidewall has to have more give per cm, so i do not see that it is certain they they would be stronger. Of course, being a smaller target may help.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

Well they are used in F2 and they seem to get a lot of punctures, when clipped you sometimes hear I hope I haven't got a puncture.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 98 (1st)
Pole Positions: 100 (1st)
Podiums: 169 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

My understanding is that the current smaller wheels were to limit the size of brake components... to limit braking performance. With much larger rims, has there been any rule change to specify brake rotor size, etc.?

I can't imagine 7G braking performance with these 18" wheels.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

DFWdude wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:20 pm
My understanding is that the current smaller wheels were to limit the size of brake components... to limit braking performance. With much larger rims, has there been any rule change to specify brake rotor size, etc.?

I can't imagine 7G braking performance with these 18" wheels.
I believe there's already brake size regulations.

mmi16

Post by mmi16 »

Asphalt_World wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

Carbon fiber of front wings act like a razor blade when they come in contact with tires - sidewall or tread.

tim3003

Post by tim3003 »

The high cornering speeds of recent years and the teams' desires to lower the tyre pressures have caused blowouts at Silverstone, and Pirelli head-aches, I think because that combination puts more strain on the sidewalls. I think smaller and stiffer sidewalls should mean the tyres are stronger when used at lower pressures.

Presumably this will end those weird slo-mo cornering shots where the rear tyres oscillate left and right across the rims as the car nearly slides - often over a kerb.
P-F1 Team Pick Game: 2019 Champion; 2020 Runner-up.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

mmi16 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:17 am
Asphalt_World wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

Carbon fiber of front wings act like a razor blade when they come in contact with tires - sidewall or tread.
They may not be any more puncture-proof but there will be a smaller area of sidewall for loose carbon fibre to hit!
Edit: Oops, just realised that this was specific to wing-to-tyre contact. Duh...
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Flash2k11

Post by Flash2k11 »

I imagine the main implications are going to be on suspension design, the sidewall does a lot of the dampening over bumps and stuff right now, wouldn't want to be going over sausage kerbs with those tyres and rock hard suspension.
2018 Pick 10 Champion

Lord Crc

Post by Lord Crc »

Flash2k11 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:58 pm
I imagine the main implications are going to be on suspension design, the sidewall does a lot of the dampening over bumps and stuff right now, wouldn't want to be going over sausage kerbs with those tyres and rock hard suspension.
Wonder how it will affect the suspension. Some rubber flexing is a lot faster to respond compared to having to move the entire wheel, I imagine. That is, I imagine the high-frequency suspension reaction would be very different, the big rimmed versions having more of a "low-pass filter" effect.

Then again, I'm no mechanical engineer so what do I know.

tim3003

Post by tim3003 »

Lord Crc wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:06 pm

Wonder how it will affect the suspension. Some rubber flexing is a lot faster to respond compared to having to move the entire wheel, I imagine. That is, I imagine the high-frequency suspension reaction would be very different, the big rimmed versions having more of a "low-pass filter" effect.
I guess many of us have already experienced the change! - If you drive a modern car with low profile tyres, and remember the older higher profile ones. I'd say they make the car much more jiggly, more sensitive to bumps - so more feedback for the driver, but a worse ride. I'd guess cornering speeds will be higher as a square tyre will retain more grip than one with a distorted profile - less 'sheer' - is it called? Cornering turn-in will in theory be improved, but there'll be a loss of feel for the driver. As the tyre wont distort as much before slipping breakaway will happen with less warning. Maybe we'll see a spate of spins in the first few races.

Suspensions will presumably need more travel and softness to prevent the ride becoming unbearable. I'll be interested to hear what the drivers say..
P-F1 Team Pick Game: 2019 Champion; 2020 Runner-up.