2021 Emilia Romagna (Imola) Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules
Schermerhorn

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna (Imola) Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

Post by Schermerhorn »

Are we still expecting a wet race tomorrow or has that forecast disappeared?
You’re not in a fight until there’s pressure. Resistance. Overcoming something. Otherwise, it’s just an exhibition.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

something about perez's picture looks disturbing. That expression.... :D

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:43 pm
And Ric is looking up at him and laughing at his expression.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

Steve_muzzy

Post by Steve_muzzy »

Really enjoyed qualy. Did not know who was getting pole till the end and Noris popping up like that was so exciting.

I hate to put the boot in but Vettel needs to retire. A pay driver is making him look poor and he never looks comfy or fast anymore. Maybe Ferarri absolutely killed his spirit but time is up.

Schermerhorn

Post by Schermerhorn »

Steve_muzzy wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:09 pm
Really enjoyed qualy. Did not know who was getting pole till the end and Noris popping up like that was so exciting.

I hate to put the boot in but Vettel needs to retire. A pay driver is making him look poor and he never looks comfy or fast anymore. Maybe Ferarri absolutely killed his spirit but time is up.
I dont think Vettel is shot just quite yet but I think Aston Martin do lack engineering depth. They've struggled with development and set up for a while. That coupled with Vettel's narrow operating window and you have this result.

I refuse to believe that someone almosg matching Leclerc in 2019 has just suddenly disappeared.
You’re not in a fight until there’s pressure. Resistance. Overcoming something. Otherwise, it’s just an exhibition.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

KingVoid wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:26 pm
pokerman wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:44 pm
KingVoid wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:41 pm
Mercedes look marginally faster to me. It will take an absolute banzai lap from Max to take pole, Abu Dhabi 2020 style.
This kind of aged well if anything it was the opposite that happened, if that had been Perez stuck in 8th and not Bottas I guess we can imagine the kind of rhetoric being used.

I would venture that Hamilton got pole in the slower car, in reference to some recent posts, no one washes Lewis Hamilton.
I have been truly fed some humble pie in this qualifying session.

Damn

And yeah you’re absolutely right, the opposite did happen. Fair enough.
I appreciate you holding your hand up on this, not many do. :thumbup:
Last edited by pokerman on Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 98 (1st)
Pole Positions: 100 (1st)
Podiums: 169 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

A.J. wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:28 pm
schumilegend wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:00 pm
Fernando "I'm better than Hamilton and Verstappen" got out-qualified by 0.5s by Ocon!?... Ouch!!.. Predict a long season for Nando... Also Sainz got punked again by Leclerc... He'll know what it feels like going up against a special stand out talent... Will be a demotivating season for him
To me that was the biggest surprise of the session - Ocon for me is a fairly ordinary driver (in the ilk of Bottas/Perez) - to be beaten by that margin must hurt a driver of Alonso's caliber.

Too early to say he's past it?
Yes I would say it's far too early, this actually was also due to happen in Bahrain as well but Ocon bottled qualifying plus the late yellow flag didn't help.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

Nope - Mods.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:46 pm
So, 2 qualifying sessions into the season and Mazepin has broken driving etiquettes in both of them!
Yes he very much lives up to his reputation.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

TheGiantHogweed

Post by TheGiantHogweed »

Steve_muzzy wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:09 pm

I just don't think people should judge Stroll simply as a pay driver at the moment. He is there because of that i suppose, but he is at least decent now and has plenty of races where he shows some very impressive skills. His launches and first lap gains look better than many drivers manage, and not always related to qualifying lower. He looked as good as perez for a pretty large chink of last season.

Vettel should be doing better than he is, but we maybe should have him one or two races rather than base everything on his one crash and qualifying. His actual race performance prior to the crash last weekend actually looked very impressive. Some of the moves he was doing with Alonso looked excellent.

Once we get to mid season, I think it is fair enough to start saying Vettel is done if he doesn't improve or goes backwards further.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

schumilegend wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:04 pm
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:02 pm
pokerman wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:44 pm
KingVoid wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:41 pm
Mercedes look marginally faster to me. It will take an absolute banzai lap from Max to take pole, Abu Dhabi 2020 style.
This kind of aged well if anything it was the opposite that happened, if that had been Perez stuck in 8th and not Bottas I guess we can imagine the kind of rhetoric being used.

I would venture that Hamilton got pole in the slower car, in reference to some recent posts, no one washes Lewis Hamilton.
I would say Red bull were clearly that bit faster today, or people should be saying Hamilton didn't do that well. Verstappen clearly could have one a few tenths faster without his mistakes. Yes perez is new to the team, but it seems Bottas is getting a lot more criticism for being 8th than Perez not even geting into q3 last race weekend when that was very obviously the fastest car.

I think both underperformed in qualifying on the weekends they were some way behind their team mates, but both times, I think red bull looked quicker.
Ha - the British bandwagon at it again.. Merc clearly not faster because for a change their advantage is tiny
I guess some people just can't give credit were it's due.
Lewis Hamilton #44

PF1 Pick 10 Competition

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:58 pm
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:43 pm
And Ric is looking up at him and laughing at his expression.
Norris' expression seems to reflect how he feels... what might have been.
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Bacus

Post by Bacus »

This is such a nip and tuck track for qualifying, as they optimize the performance it transforms into a who gets the exact braking point, exact turning, throttle etc at centimeters. There's no playing around with the lines or steering wheel here. And that's why it gave such dramatic swings in the packing order, combined with the fact that the field is much closer. Which is great.
I think Verstappen should've had this, but it's been seen from his early F1 days he can't replicate his mega laps prior to Q3, he often can't put it together when it matters. He lost some few poles by this, and this is a thing that Hamilton still has in his armour above Verstappen. It's still impressive to me how Hamilton gets those near perfect final laps over and over again(from his early days really). I'm a sim racer for a long time, it's not an easy thing to do. I think this qualifying ability is really one that stands out in his GOAT campaign, Schumacher didn't have this - in a way Verstappen resembles more to Schumacher, they both excel more in race pace.
I don't think Perez is yet there with Max, it's just the tricky circumstance, still a very good lap by him, massive improvement and would certainly look he's above his predecessors.

Its no surprise Alonso got outqualified by Ocon, I never expected something spectacular from his return. Bahrain with its track nature provide some playing ground to him, with more space, wide corners so he's classical style of leaning on the car, massive inputs of the steering wheel, playing with the sprung mass of the car, was more avail to him, and also the fact that the things were not fully settled by then.
But this is a very different track and it demands a lot of precision, cadence, general tight driving. Not necessary Alonso's strengths. And these are quite the attributes of the modern driving style compared to old one.
So I wouldn't foresee spectacular performance generally for Alonso, unless he adapts his style massively.

Mercedes-Benz

Post by Mercedes-Benz »

I think overall it was very positive day for RBR. They could have been 1-2 but still this proves they have a good car from the start of the season. Perez will be needed if Max and RBR want to win the title. I think Perez performance was a big surprise, it could also be that Max had an ordinary session and like Bahrain should have been 0.3sec ahead ? May be bit of both I guess. Ferrari, AT, Mclaren are also very close but I do not think they will be able to keep up with top teams in the race.
Sir Stirling Moss "Quite frankly, Kimi Raikkonen is the fastest driver in the world"