Please read the forum rules
JN23

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna (Imola) Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

Post by JN23 »

A.J. wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:09 pm
JN23 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:54 pm
Verstappen stopped on issue with what looked like a gearbox issue but I think Sky reported that Red Bull said it didn't seem like a gearbox/engine issue.

Tsunoda has taken a second energy store and control electronics, meaning that three of the Honda powered cars are on their second (and final) CE of the season. Not sure whether the first unit is usable or not.
That doesn't bode well for the rest of the season for them, does it? I doubt they will be able to fix whatever the issue is without incurring penalties - it would be a shame if the long-awaited Verstappen-Hamilton fight is decided by reliability instead of performance on track.
It doesn't no - I do think almost everyone will take grid penalties for new PU components this year because of the longer calendar but if they're changing components each race it could be tough for them.

Also adding in the differential problem, Perez's brake issue in Q2 and shutting down on the formation lap. Not great so far, but we'll see.

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

Bit of a digression but I've just learned that Lance Stroll holds a lap record here (F3, 2016).
Where I'm going, I don't need roads

Invade

Post by Invade »

I know Honda pulled out all the stops with their PU and attempted to incorporate radical designs which they supposedly shouldn't have had the time to pull off. Seems their PU competes with the Merc PU on raw performance, but at what cost?

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

At least Max is breaking down when there are no points on offer.
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Invade wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:21 pm
I know Honda pulled out all the stops with their PU and attempted to incorporate radical designs which they supposedly shouldn't have had the time to pull off. Seems their PU competes with the Merc PU on raw performance, but at what cost?
You're right that this could be a problem for Red Bull, but this wasn't engine related apparently.

Edit: Ted just said Red Bull confirmed it was a drive shaft problem

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

OK, my turn to put the knife in:
Mazepin, radio: 'Can you check the car because there are some strange noises happening.'
It's probably saying something along the lines of, Please don't hurt me again.

Actually, I hope that Mazepin gets to grips with what looks like a very unstable car. He has shown that he has pace in F2 and I hope that he can convert that to F1 and without the occasional brain farts he had. We know that Haas is focused on 2022 - if both he and Shuey-Jnr learn to drive a sketchy car it should out them in good stead for any improvements.
Last edited by tootsie323 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

Bottas does seem to have a qualifying edge on Hamilton here, doesn't he? Would Mercedes consider swapping them if Bottas is P2 and Hamilton is P3?
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

tootsie323

Post by tootsie323 »

... and, as soon as I knock Mazepin, Leclerc bins it.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:26 pm
Bottas does seem to have a qualifying edge on Hamilton here, doesn't he? Would Mercedes consider swapping them if Bottas is P2 and Hamilton is P3?
Unless Hamilton looked quicker and Bottas was clearly holding him up, I don't think they would at this early stage of the season.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

JN23 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:28 pm
Unless Hamilton looked quicker and Bottas was clearly holding him up, I don't think they would at this early stage of the season.
Toto has shown ruthlessness in the past. It's only 3 points in that example but you'd rather have them in Hamilton's tally at the end of the season rather than Bottas'.
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

JN23

Post by JN23 »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 pm
JN23 wrote:
Toto has shown ruthlessness in the past. It's only 3 points in that example but you'd rather have them in Hamilton's tally at the end of the season rather than Bottas'.
I get what you're saying and if it's going to be a close battle then yeah you would prefer those three points in Hamilton's column than Bottas', but we have seen ruthlessness from Toto in the past butI'm not sure we've seen that level of ruthlessness.

Invade

Post by Invade »

I think it would be in Merc's best interest to let Bottas down slowly. Hamilton's general superiority should see him in the far better position to fight for the WDC even quite early on in the season. At this point they can ease Hamilton into a sort of definitive and transparent #1, earlier than in any other season, in what will hopefully be a close fight with Verstappen.

Being too ruthless might actually be damaging in the long run.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

Invade wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:39 pm
Being too ruthless might actually be damaging in the long run.
It only takes a little unreliability to put Hamilton at a points disadvantage to Bottas. Besides, if Toto is ruthless enough to deploy team orders on Sunday, he's ruthless enough to sack an uncooperative Bottas and swap in Vandoorne.
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

Invade

Post by Invade »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:44 pm

It only takes a little unreliability to put Hamilton at a points disadvantage to Bottas. Besides, if Toto is ruthless enough to deploy team orders on Sunday, he's ruthless enough to sack an uncooperative Bottas and swap in Vandoorne.
Yeh maybe, though I can't imagine Bottas being uncooperative as such.... more just mentally down and wondering what he's fighting for.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

FP2 classification:

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

DOLOMITE

Post by DOLOMITE »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:33 pm
Hamilton arrives at Imola.......

Source - Imgur
Scary to think he has fashion lined up as a potential second career. I saw he had some t-shirts (sorry, "collection pieces" ) for sale - a bargain at £58. Guessing his target demographic isn't the future Hamiltons in the estates (not slums) of Stevenage then.
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

What's wrong with Ricciardo?

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Lap times of the top 6 drivers. Ham, Bot & Per were running on mediums for race runs whereas Gas, Lec & Sai were on softs.

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Siao7 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:03 pm
His fastest time had gotten him to P11 but that lap time was deleted for exceeding track limits.
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

I had a hunch Mercedes would be the best team because of the cooler conditions & colder track surface. Bahrain was much hotter, which typically doesn't suit Mercedes.
Feel The Fourth

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

UnlikeUday wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:04 pm
Siao7 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:03 pm
His fastest time had gotten him to P11 but that lap time was deleted for exceeding track limits.
That makes sense. Thank you

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

Mercedes back on top it seems.

Siao7

Post by Siao7 »

mikeyg123 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:12 pm
Mercedes back on top it seems.
Max was way off though, not sure how representative this was.

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

tootsie323 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm
Bit of a digression but I've just learned that Lance Stroll holds a lap record here (F3, 2016).
That would be European F3 and not International F3, different cars I believe.
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 98 (1st)
Pole Positions: 100 (1st)
Podiums: 169 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

JN23 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:33 pm
F1Tyrant wrote:
JN23 wrote:
I get what you're saying and if it's going to be a close battle then yeah you would prefer those three points in es interferes this weekend. Its only race 2Hamilton's column than Bottas', but we have seen ruthlessness from Toto in the past butI'm not sure we've seen that level of ruthlessness.
Yeah id be shocked if Mercedes interferes this weekend. That goes against what they normally do, which is to let them race. Plus it’s only race 2 in a super long season. And if Hamilton wants team orders in his favor further into the season he is gonna have to distance himself significantly from bottas in the points table. Otherwise i dont see it.

Harpo

Post by Harpo »

kleefton wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:20 pm
JN23 wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:
JN23 wrote:
I get what you're saying and if it's going to be a close battle then yeah you would prefer those three points in es interferes this weekend. Its only race 2Hamilton's column than Bottas', but we have seen ruthlessness from Toto in the past butI'm not sure we've seen that level of ruthlessness.
Yeah id be shocked if Mercedes interferes this weekend. That goes against what they normally do, which is to let them race. Plus it’s only race 2 in a super long season. And if Hamilton wants team orders in his favor further into the season he is gonna have to distance himself significantly from bottas in the points table. Otherwise i dont see it.
They usually interfer when needed by messing Bottas' pit stop. Why should they change the process ?
As my brother said : "I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it".

pokerman

Post by pokerman »

Harpo wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:09 pm
kleefton wrote:
JN23 wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:
JN23 wrote:
They usually interfer when needed by messing Bottas' pit stop. Why should they change the process ?
When did they do that?
Lewis Hamilton #44

World Drivers Titles: 7 (1st)
Grand Prix Wins: 98 (1st)
Pole Positions: 100 (1st)
Podiums: 169 (1st)

PF1 Pick 10 Competition
2014: Champion

kleefton

Post by kleefton »

pokerman wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:53 pm
Harpo wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:09 pm
kleefton wrote:
JN23 wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

When did they do that?

Harpo was trying to make a joke i would hope. 🙏

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

Mercedes look marginally faster to me. It will take an absolute banzai lap from Max to take pole, Abu Dhabi 2020 style.

F1Tyrant

Post by F1Tyrant »

KingVoid wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:41 pm
Mercedes look marginally faster to me. It will take an absolute banzai lap from Max to take pole, Abu Dhabi 2020 style.
Nice to see you playing up Mercedes to ensure Max is seen as a miracle worker. Again. :lol:

Red Bull have the fastest car until clearly proven otherwise. Maybe that will happen tomorrow but I doubt it.
OVERRATED LEGENDS RACING

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur

Source - Imgur
Feel The Fourth

LBET

Post by LBET »

tootsie323 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 am
UnlikeUday wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:33 pm
Hamilton arrives at Imola.......

Source - Imgur
... and will, presumably, be covering some additional shifts with Mercedes' catering team.
Not sure how a comment could simultaneously be so terribly funny and not funny at all. And yes, I L'edMAO.

KingVoid

Post by KingVoid »

F1Tyrant wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:57 pm
KingVoid wrote:
Nice to see you playing up Mercedes to ensure Max is seen as a miracle worker. Again. :lol:

Red Bull have the fastest car until clearly proven otherwise. Maybe that will happen tomorrow but I doubt it.
What I saw in free practice was Mercedes setting the benchmark and Red Bull struggling to match them.

Remains to be seen what happens in a few hours. I have a feeling that we will get a Bottas pole, not sure why.

Asphalt_World

Post by Asphalt_World »

KingVoid wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:52 am
F1Tyrant wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

What I saw in free practice was Mercedes setting the benchmark and Red Bull struggling to match them.

Remains to be seen what happens in a few hours. I have a feeling that we will get a Bottas pole, not sure why.
Max missed pretty much all of FP2. Due to that, I would not be willing to say that the Merc is clearly faster than the RB.
Instagram @simply_italian_cars

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:56 am
KingVoid wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Max missed pretty much all of FP2. Due to that, I would not be willing to say that the Merc is clearly faster than the RB.
Agree. I’m not sure how anyone can make a conclusion yet on the pace of the cars yet. Mercedes looked pretty good but there’s no comparison to make against Verstappen.

mikeyg123

Post by mikeyg123 »

JN23 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:04 am
Asphalt_World wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:56 am
KingVoid wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Agree. I’m not sure how anyone can make a conclusion yet on the pace of the cars yet. Mercedes looked pretty good but there’s no comparison to make against Verstappen.
Red Bull have two cars.

JN23

Post by JN23 »

Laps deleted all over the show.

Red flag for Latifi in the wall.

UnlikeUday

Post by UnlikeUday »

Qualy will keep everyone on their toes due to track limits.....
Feel The Fourth

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Yes, loads of lap times deleted - so is that just a sign that the drivers are just pushing to get the absolute fastest time, or does it indicate that we will see several penalties for"exceeding track limits" in the actual race (which I would hate) ?