Search found 2083 matches
- Mon Oct 05, 2026 8:35 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Bahrain (Sepang) Grand Prix Race Thread
- Replies: 160
- Views: 1642
Re: 2026 Bahrain (Sepang) Grand Prix Race Thread
On lapped cars, I still don’t really understand why they camt just shuffle them to the back in the right order and add a lap to their total. I assume there must be a way of doing this. It should not be terribly difficult to reinstate the lead lap cars to their timing increments before the SC / red ...
- Mon Oct 05, 2026 8:31 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Bahrain (Sepang) Grand Prix Race Thread
- Replies: 160
- Views: 1642
Re: 2026 Bahrain (Sepang) Grand Prix Race Thread
- kind of funny computers messed up. we have all gotten frustrated with a computer and unplugged it, plugged it back in. not a good luck for the fit, but they got it fixed. v-8’s will be approved after this fiasco. But it wasn't the computer that screwed up, was it? It was the regs, right? What I'v...
- Mon Oct 05, 2026 7:55 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: Official Max Verstappen thread
- Replies: 2138
- Views: 531962
Re: Official Max Verstappen thread
This came up on my feed: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/pIDocKA1bpM From someone who took part in the race. Explaining why Max was faster off line, mentioned that they had practice sessions beforehand and how difficult they actually thought it would have been for Verstappen. Quite interesting Is it...
- Mon Oct 05, 2026 7:25 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: New Regs .. First Impressions?
- Replies: 1736
- Views: 296965
Re: New Regs .. First Impressions?
Yes. Very basically, going so slowly shut the turbo down. Without the turbo the software wouldn't provide any power. The software isn't allowed to provide power in that circumstance for reasons I don't fully understand. Cross-post from the race thread, but it's now been confirmed to be a bug in the...
- Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:28 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Azerbaijan Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread
- Replies: 30
- Views: 3059
Re: 2026 Azerbaijan Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread
Well that is something i only found out just now... Race on Saturday, qualifying on Friday! Has this been planned all year? I'm working on Friday and had something planned on Saturday for one of the few weekends where i was prepared to miss qualifying, but not the race. Good catch - I didn't know t...
- Fri Sep 25, 2026 5:18 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
- Replies: 3908
- Views: 913362
Re: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
In other news: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/articles/cr15822d9vgxo Shorter GPs next year, yeay! And an end to the silly 3 hour window. Out of curiosity, why silly? I think it was hardly ever used, only the 2011 Canadian GP was longer, and a couple more that went something like 3 hours and 1...
- Mon Sep 14, 2026 1:19 am
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: Driver(s) of the day - 2026 Spanish (Madring) Grand Prix
- Replies: 29
- Views: 4113
Re: Driver(s) of the day - 2026 Spanish (Madring) Grand Prix
Yes, unfortunate timing, but ... I'd say that McLaren - who brought him with significant life on his mediums (IIRC) - gave up significant pace over several laps that could have been beneficial against Verstappen later on.
- Sun Sep 13, 2026 1:33 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Spanish (Madring) Grand Prix Race Thread
- Replies: 119
- Views: 8968
- Sun Sep 13, 2026 1:25 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Spanish (Madring) Grand Prix Race Thread
- Replies: 119
- Views: 8968
Re: 2026 Spanish (Madring) Grand Prix Race Thread
Makes sense. Perez seems to do best on street courses, and is also on mediums.TheGiantHogweed wrote: ↑Sun Sep 13, 2026 1:19 pmWhile I don't think 2.1 seconds between Bottas and Perez in qualifying was representative, Perez looks far more comfortable here. Bottas is last and Perez is 16th, and Bottas is already nearly 10 seconds behind.
- Wed Sep 09, 2026 7:18 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Italian Grand Prix Thread
- Replies: 207
- Views: 15889
Re: 2026 Italian Grand Prix Thread
So I gather you take your comment back then. How does a 1 second passing deltas create overtaking opportunities like I said before the proof of the pudding is in the eating. You are not answering a very simple question after being called out on a fabrication. But here it is to remind you. Not wanti...
- Tue Sep 08, 2026 10:07 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Italian Grand Prix Thread
- Replies: 207
- Views: 15889
Re: 2026 Italian Grand Prix Thread
Even that is not what many on here have argued. Bending the argument beyond breaking point, where have we seen that before I wonder? A few (yes a few!) of us here want to see drivers applying skill when it comes to overtaking, in particular when cars have similar performance. And using artificial m...
- Sun Sep 06, 2026 3:21 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Italian Grand Prix Thread
- Replies: 207
- Views: 15889
Re: 2026 Italian Grand Prix Thread
I could have sworn that I heard some booing of Russell at the start of the podium ceremony. Was I imagining something?
- Thu Aug 27, 2026 7:57 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
- Replies: 3908
- Views: 913362
Re: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
People aren’t happy either way. Some don’t like convergence, some don’t like it when teams have a big advantage. True, people will always disagree on things. Big advantages usually come after a rule shake, someone has done a better job than someone else. But they also normally converge down the lin...
- Thu Aug 27, 2026 7:55 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
- Replies: 3908
- Views: 913362
Re: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
The problem isn't convergence, the problem is homologation. This caused the mess with the hybrid engines in 2014 and it now causes the mess with the ADUO system. Let teams spend the money where they think most gains can be made. The restriction around engine development is something that in my view...
- Wed Aug 26, 2026 9:30 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: Verstappen, qualifying versus race pace, and the greats
- Replies: 134
- Views: 10587
Re: Verstappen, qualifying versus race pace, and the greats
I think Lawson is quite a bit better than the reputation he got last year. I don't think he's one of the worst on the grid any more. Barely over a tenth between them. He should have been given longer at Red Bull I would say. I wonder if the Red Bull car isn't suiting Verstappen still? Even Hadjar i...
- Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:22 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Dutch Grand Prix FP & Qualy/Sprint Thread
- Replies: 69
- Views: 9817
Re: 2026 Dutch Grand Prix FP & Qualy/Sprint Thread
I heard boxing training. Yes, I heard the same yesterday evening on the BBC. I wonder whether boxing is considered a risky sport for F1 drivers. I would imagine that the likes of skiing and bike riding might be more riskier. I think you're referring to traumatic injuries in skiing and bike riding f...
- Thu Aug 20, 2026 5:38 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Dutch Grand Prix FP & Qualy/Sprint Thread
- Replies: 69
- Views: 9817
Re: 2026 Dutch Grand Prix FP & Qualy/Sprint Thread
2089948785224888756 It has since been confirmed: Lawson racing for Red Bull, Tsunoda for the Racing Bulls. I hope they both have the weekend of their lives (so far)! I wonder what Hadjar did to damage his wrist. I heard boxing training. Yes, I heard the same yesterday evening on the BBC. I wonder w...
- Thu Aug 20, 2026 5:24 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
- Replies: 261
- Views: 20732
Re: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
There was another such fundamental change away from driving at the limit about a decade and a half ago, which we've sadly become so used to I think we sometimes forget its impact: when the made-to-degrade tyres were first inflicted on the sport. Outside of qualifying (and that's the main difference...
- Thu Aug 20, 2026 2:32 am
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Dutch Grand Prix FP & Qualy/Sprint Thread
- Replies: 69
- Views: 9817
Re: 2026 Dutch Grand Prix FP & Qualy/Sprint Thread
2089275637202665641 2089660625085415615 Anyone else expecting the new engine to go "bang" or is it just me? I hope not, I'd love for AM to get in the mix, they can catch Audi and Williams, maybe even Haas, but can they get to Alpine's level of points? With the caveat that I have not been following ...
- Wed Aug 19, 2026 5:24 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Dutch Grand Prix FP & Qualy/Sprint Thread
- Replies: 69
- Views: 9817
Re: 2026 Dutch Grand Prix FP & Qualy/Sprint Thread
2089275637202665641 2089660625085415615 Anyone else expecting the new engine to go "bang" or is it just me? I hope not, I'd love for AM to get in the mix, they can catch Audi and Williams, maybe even Haas, but can they get to Alpine's level of points? With the caveat that I have not been following ...
- Sat Aug 15, 2026 7:59 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
- Replies: 261
- Views: 20732
Re: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
Not semantics at all in my view. It is often used to denote something extraordinary, but very, very, very few occasions I can remember where it would actually apply. The qualifying-lap-that-wasn't is one of these very, very, very few occasions, but I would not extend it to something that spans a ra...
- Sat Aug 15, 2026 2:24 am
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
- Replies: 261
- Views: 20732
Re: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
While I don't always agree that some team's engineering decisions are fully legitimate regarding the regs, I absolutely do admire their innovation. It's truly creativity at work. E.g., DAS was a great (albeit perhaps narrow) engineering innovation. It's good (IMO) that it was eventually outlawed be...
- Fri Aug 14, 2026 8:39 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
- Replies: 261
- Views: 20732
Re: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
Not semantics at all in my view. It is often used to denote something extraordinary, but very, very, very few occasions I can remember where it would actually apply. The qualifying-lap-that-wasn't is one of these very, very, very few occasions, but I would not extend it to something that spans a ra...
- Fri Aug 14, 2026 5:05 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
- Replies: 261
- Views: 20732
Re: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
No driver at any stage of his career regardless of the regulations has ever outperformed his car. Thought I just point out the bleedingly obvious. The only thing a driver can do is drive closer to the limit of what a car is theoretically capable of. Semantics, it means outperforming a driver who is...
- Wed Aug 12, 2026 2:15 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
- Replies: 3908
- Views: 913362
Re: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
stories out there that apple tv has seen a 60% drop in ratings compared to espn, in the states. Thanks; that actually sounds kind of what one might expect. A major drop because AppleTV does not have the essentially 100% penetration that ESPN (bundled) has in almost all cable and cable-like products...
- Tue Aug 11, 2026 7:42 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
- Replies: 261
- Views: 20732
Re: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
Hey, I've barely been tracking the conversation about this poll, but as there is a lot of conversation about the results, here is how I voted (FWIW). Hopefully, it helps provide another data point to flesh out the small number of votes: Your Vote Difference 1: Verstappen -1 2: Antonelli +1 3: Hamil...
- Tue Aug 11, 2026 3:52 am
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
- Replies: 261
- Views: 20732
Re: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
Hey, I've barely been tracking the conversation about this poll, but as there is a lot of conversation about the results, here is how I voted (FWIW). Hopefully, it helps provide another data point to flesh out the small number of votes: Your Vote Difference 1: Verstappen -1 2: Antonelli +1 3: Hamilt...
- Fri Aug 07, 2026 8:40 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
- Replies: 261
- Views: 20732
Re: 2026: Rank the Drivers Midseason Poll
Here is how I voted in the poll: 1 Antonelli 2 Hamilton 3 Verstappen 4 Norris 5 Sainz 6 Gasly 7 Leclerc 8 Russell 9 Bearman 10 Piastri 11 Hadjar 12 Bortoleto 13 Alonso 14 Hulkenberg 15 Lindblad 16 Albon 17 Lawson 18 Colapinto 19 Ocon 20 Perez 21 Bottas 22 Stroll Mid pack is very tight, could comfor...
- Thu Jul 30, 2026 9:13 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
- Replies: 3908
- Views: 913362
Re: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
E.g. I had an apprentice argue Zidane wasn't actually that good based on his stats and figures, without any consideration of the backdrop/context of the era, but he is a 21yr old kid who talks in xG, attacks started and corners won...... I am more, we played well, looked solid at the back and won 2...
- Thu Jul 30, 2026 1:50 am
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
- Replies: 3908
- Views: 913362
Re: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
Seriously? :x 2082420877610664407 Well, he is probably right. Or has the "anti-racing regulations" reduced viewership significantly? Does anyone have the numbers? I feel that this is not a fair comparison. We know the FIA has been fixing the broadcasts to omit sound, downshifts, anything that makes...
- Sun Jul 26, 2026 7:41 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: Driver(s) of the day - 2025 Hungarian Grand Prix
- Replies: 92
- Views: 18715
Re: Driver(s) of the day - 2025 Hungarian Grand Prix
Verstappen, Russell, Alonso. What warrants Alonso a vote when stroll beat him without having any stops under VSC while Alonso did? Yes Alonso's strategy wasn't ideal, but from starting 4 places behind him, and missing a load of practice, Stroll still beat Alonso. Stroll did indeed do well today. I ...
- Sun Jul 26, 2026 7:26 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: Driver(s) of the day - 2025 Hungarian Grand Prix
- Replies: 92
- Views: 18715
Re: Driver(s) of the day - 2025 Hungarian Grand Prix
Will go for a more unusual lot this time, although one of them isn't. Verstappen - His overtake on Hamilton was superb, and he strategy wasn't the best, but despite clearly not being comfortable in the car, he was extracting so much out of it. Impressive performance. Russell - Problems again for hi...
- Sun Jul 26, 2026 7:07 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Hungarian Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread
- Replies: 82
- Views: 20970
Re: 2026 Hungarian Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread
It was in a turn (aka a braking zone). Kimi tried to game the system (brake earlier, but then carry more speed through the turn so as not to lose any time in the sector) and didn't get away with it. It's not complicated, you have to slow down, in the area where a car is in a vulnerable position. Ki...
- Sat Jul 25, 2026 7:25 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: New Regs .. First Impressions?
- Replies: 1736
- Views: 296965
Re: New Regs .. First Impressions?
Was the introduction of DRS really as a result of Abu Dhabi 2010? It seems quite a short turnaround for that race to trigger such a change for the start of the 2011 season. I would have thought it would have been agreed earlier in 2010. Yes, It was announced in June 2010. Long before the final roun...
- Thu Jul 23, 2026 6:46 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
- Replies: 3908
- Views: 913362
Re: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
It's being said that if the Aston Martin upgrades don't have the desired affect then Alonso will look to set up a merry-go-round where he sees out his career at Alpine even though that would involve a pay cut. Sainz who is seemingly not over happy at Williams will replace him at Aston Martin which ...
- Sun Jul 19, 2026 6:45 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: New Regs .. First Impressions?
- Replies: 1736
- Views: 296965
Re: New Regs .. First Impressions?
Thinking back on today's race - and this "regs" thread, I thought back to the (perhaps) arcane (and still quite relevant) driver skill of "managing tires". To me, that's a valuable skill - more so than "energy harvesting". To me, I can understand generally how a driver might manage tires - based on ...
- Sat Jul 18, 2026 9:54 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: 2026 Belgian Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread
- Replies: 40
- Views: 17677
Re: 2026 Belgian Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread
Russell still 1.2s slower than Antonelli. Russell does like Spa and has generally been strong here. This season, Kimi has either found genuinely elite-level speed, or there is an imbalance in how the two drivers are able to extract performance from the car. It is probably a combination of both. I a...
- Thu Jul 09, 2026 1:31 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
- Replies: 3908
- Views: 913362
Re: F1 Gossip/Rumour/Inside news Thread
I can't think of a better thread to post this in...
https://xkcd.com/3269/

If you're new to xkcd, you might not know that there's always another punch line in the "alt text".
https://xkcd.com/3269/

If you're new to xkcd, you might not know that there's always another punch line in the "alt text".
- Tue Jul 07, 2026 9:23 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: New Regs .. First Impressions?
- Replies: 1736
- Views: 296965
Re: New Regs .. First Impressions?
I think in the prior set of regulations it would have depended on how strong the DRS effect was to determine if Hamilton would be a sitting duck or not. As for the regulations themselves, something that I have asked on here before but continues to puzzle me. When the following car gets "overtake mo...
- Mon Jul 06, 2026 7:30 pm
- Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
- Topic: New Regs .. First Impressions?
- Replies: 1736
- Views: 296965
Re: New Regs .. First Impressions?
Sprint race was horrendous. Hamilton was overtaken for the win, not because of an absence of skill, but because his battery ran out of juice making him a sitting duck. What makes it worse, is as a viewer, I'm given zero information to tell me what is actually happening. Drivers cruising though prev...