Search found 9218 matches

by Exediron
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:15 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Games
Topic: 2021 Pick 10 Competition
Replies: 722
Views: 28955

Re: 2021 Pick 10 Competition

SAUDI ARABIA

1. Lewis Hamilton
2. Max Verstappen
3. Valtteri Bottas
4. Sergio Perez
5. Lando Norris
6. Charles Leclerc
7. Carlos Sainz
8. Daniel Ricciardo
9. Pierre Gasly
10. Fernando Alonso
by Exediron
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:21 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: RIP Frank Williams
Replies: 26
Views: 1235

Re: RIP Frank Williams

One of the real legends of F1. Sad to see him go.
by Exediron
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:31 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Beleriand's Statistical Corner
Replies: 78
Views: 8349

Re: Beleriand's Statistical Corner

Looking back through history Formula 1 has provided us with several powerful combinations of good drivers in very good cars. How much is driver and how much is car is always an open question. Here's a few examples: 1) I know many don't consider Damon Hill very good, but when he was put in a William...
by Exediron
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:02 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Qualifying vs Race Pace
Replies: 13
Views: 781

Re: Qualifying vs Race Pace

Johnson wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:04 am
- Engine modes
Now banned, but this was a big one. The Mercedes in 2017 had higher modes than Ferrari and easily beat them in qualifying but come race day it was closer
They're banned... but I'm not convinced they're gone.
by Exediron
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:59 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: An intentional crash to win the title
Replies: 45
Views: 2136

Re: An intentional crash to win the title

Exclusion of the current year championship and a next season ban from F1... That would be my preference as well, if the incident is clearly deliberate. But I don't see why it would happen. After Jerez 1997, every driver knows they won't win the title by deliberately crashing out a rival, so there's...
by Exediron
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:22 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Qatar 2021
Replies: 28
Views: 901

Re: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Qatar 2021

"leave the radio clear" certainly seems one of the most common things he is told. And then often asked a question right after it. Ugh, so motivating to have that engineer. I honestly feel Latifi could be doing better this year with a different one. Literally being told that is CANNOT overtake Russe...
by Exediron
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:20 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: The difference Hamilton and Verstappen make
Replies: 87
Views: 4121

Re: The difference Hamilton and Verstappen make

Malaysia 2014 showed what the W05 was capable of in the hands of an elite driver vs a good driver. It was probably the most dominant performance of Hamilton's career with only his Italy 2015 drive coming close. You have to hand it to Rosberg, not every driver could digest a dossier and improve to b...
by Exediron
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:22 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Will the FIA step up. A possible championship permintation.
Replies: 61
Views: 2849

Re: Will the FIA step up. A possible championship permintation.

I guess that what is therefore needed is for Hamilton to be 1 point ahead going into Abu Dhabi. It would therefore still be a winner takes all scenario (or who finishes ahead takes all - as if they end the season on equal points, Max wins) - but there is nothing for Max to gain with a DNF. However,...
by Exediron
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:01 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Brazil 2021 - Should Max have been given a Penalty
Replies: 498
Views: 18708

Re: Brazil 2021 - Should Max have been given a Penalty

There was a permanent steward in the mid-00s, who was extremely thorough in documenting how he reached his verdicts, and he stuck to the published rules very tightly. I wonder what those, who now accuse the stewards of inconsistency, thought about him at the time. I would very much like to discuss ...
by Exediron
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:54 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Beleriand's Statistical Corner
Replies: 78
Views: 8349

Re: Beleriand's Statistical Corner

Ah, poor old Luca Badoer.

At least every other driver who makes a comeback can feel secure in the knowledge that it can't possibly be the worst in F1 history. Even Kubica was closer to the pace on his return.
by Exediron
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:51 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Qatar 2021
Replies: 28
Views: 901

Re: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Qatar 2021

I have gone with Leclerc over Sainz. Leclerc had technical issues in qualifying, therefore started behind. In the race he overcame the deficit to drive / finish directly behind Sainz without attacking him for position. I think Leclerc looked quicker in the race - but overall it was a very equal per...
by Exediron
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:44 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Will the FIA step up. A possible championship permintation.
Replies: 61
Views: 2849

Re: Will the FIA step up. A possible championship permintation.

The crash at Monza was pure red mist for me. Verstappen had no intention of making it through turn 2. Hamilton leaving a small gap gave Max the plausible deniability of what seemed to me like pure road rage. That's the reason Red Bull and Horner were so sheepish after the race. Now there is a big d...
by Exediron
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:40 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Qatar 2021
Replies: 28
Views: 901

Re: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Qatar 2021

Pretty easy this time. Hamilton over Bottas Verstappen over Perez Norris over Ricciardo Stroll over Vettel Alonso over Ocon Sainz over Leclerc Gasly over Tsunoda Raikonnen over Giovinazzi - easy for once. However, when it was easy the other way round so many times, a lot seemed to go for Kimi anywa...
by Exediron
Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:35 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Mclarens season is unravelling in front of our eyes.
Replies: 31
Views: 2265

Re: Mclarens season is unravelling in front of our eyes.

McLaren may finish behind Ferrari in the WCC, but they have clearly had the more competitive car, being able to challenge for two wins on merit (as opposed to Alpine's inherited win) While the lesser prize money will sting, I think there is more kudos for winning races, and being on genuine pace le...
by Exediron
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:57 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Brazil 2021
Replies: 30
Views: 1148

Re: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Brazil 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCDd7_MkYrg Just thought I would share this overtake, that I had admittedly only read about. It looks pretty impressive to me! A bit too late to change the votes, but with this in mind, Schumacher has no reason to be voted at all IMO. If Verstappen did that on Hamilt...
by Exediron
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:05 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Unpopular Opinions (2021)
Replies: 225
Views: 10571

Re: Unpopular Opinions (2021)

Guess this is the right thread for me to share my negative views on Russell again (compared to what others expect him to have done if he went to Mercedes for the rest of the season anyway) I really have to question how good he or Latifi is. Latifi this season has looked closer in both qualifying an...
by Exediron
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:35 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Games
Topic: CarlPotter's Top Three Championship 2021
Replies: 529
Views: 23047

Re: CarlPotter's Top Three Championship 2021

I knew it was a gamble to pick Max to win, and it didn't pay off. :P

This race may have had much the same effect on my title ambitions as it did for Verstappen, especially if the next two are easy Hamilton wins.
by Exediron
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:53 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Games
Topic: CarlPotter's Top Three Championship 2021
Replies: 529
Views: 23047

Re: CarlPotter's Top Three Championship 2021

QATAR
Podium Prediction

1. Max Verstappen
2. Lewis Hamilton
3. Valtteri Bottas

We'll see if I get cold feet about this in the early hours of the morning...

If I wasn't leading the championship, I would probably predict a Bottas victory. But that's too much of a risk to take in my position.
by Exediron
Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:40 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Brazil 2021
Replies: 30
Views: 1148

Re: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Brazil 2021

Given over half have voted for Schumacher, are you going to share your reasoning? If Mazepin had been overtaken by his team mate, then after wrecked his race, Mazepin would get no votes at all.... I voted for Mazepin -- but I would imagine that the votes for Schumacher are purely out of habit, from...
by Exediron
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:38 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Brazil 2021
Replies: 30
Views: 1148

Re: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Brazil 2021

Given over half have voted for Schumacher, are you going to share your reasoning? If Mazepin had been overtaken by his team mate, then after wrecked his race, Mazepin would get no votes at all.... I voted for Mazepin -- but I would imagine that the votes for Schumacher are purely out of habit, from...
by Exediron
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:34 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Welcome Guanyou Zhou to F1
Replies: 10
Views: 748

Re: Welcome Guanyou Zhou to F1

Battle Far wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:46 pm
Money is the only reason anybody anywhere does any business with China, just ask Peng Shuai...

but do it in person not via email
As opposed to doing business with other countries, where money isn't the motivating factor?
by Exediron
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:31 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Mclarens season is unravelling in front of our eyes.
Replies: 31
Views: 2265

Re: Mclarens season is unravelling in front of our eyes.

That's not true any more Ricciardo has closed some of that gap. Pretty much all of it, actually, but we'll see if that holds to season's end. Over the last three races, Ricciardo has been within a tenth of Norris in terms of one-lap speed. Actually the last 8 races, as well as Ricciardo getting bet...
by Exediron
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:28 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: 2021 Qatar Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread
Replies: 232
Views: 12999

Re: 2021 Qatar Grand Prix Free Practice & Qualifying Thread

UnlikeUday wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:34 pm
Turns 4, 12, 13, 14 & 16 will be monitored for track limits with sensors installed at the kerb.
I have this, like, super crazy idea.

Why don't they monitor all of the corners for track limits?

8O
by Exediron
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:27 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Mercedes don't have their rear wing back yet!!!
Replies: 24
Views: 1965

Re: Mercedes don't have their rear wing back yet!!!

It takes a while. Remember when Seb was DSQ'd in Hungary, and it was remarked how Aston Martin was lucky this happened right before the summer break, because otherwise the car wouldn't be back in time for the next race? The FIA is a regulatory body, and regulatory bodies don't move quickly. A week i...
by Exediron
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:10 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Games
Topic: 2021 Pick 10 Competition
Replies: 722
Views: 28955

Re: 2021 Pick 10 Competition

QATAR

1. Lewis Hamilton
2. Max Verstappen
3. Sergio Perez
4. Valtteri Bottas
5. Charles Leclerc
6. Pierre Gasly
7. Carlos Sainz
8. Lando Norris
9. Daniel Ricciardo
10. Fernando Alonso
by Exediron
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:09 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Brazil 2021 - Should Max have been given a Penalty
Replies: 498
Views: 18708

Re: Brazil 2021 - Should Max have been given a Penalty

Two more facts to add to all of that...

- Mercedes lost nothing from the incident
- The championship moved 7 points in their favor rather than 25 points against

I think those help explain the others.
by Exediron
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:31 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Mclarens season is unravelling in front of our eyes.
Replies: 31
Views: 2265

Re: Mclarens season is unravelling in front of our eyes.

Norris (and Mclaren) has had Chris Amon levels of bad luck in the second half of this season. He should have won in Russia and had jumped both Ferraris in Brazil before Sainz-hit-him/puncture. Sadly for Macca he remains 3-4ths a lap quicker than Ricciardo, if that doesn't change next season the con...
by Exediron
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:19 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: If you like the technical side of F1........
Replies: 4
Views: 445

Re: If you like the technical side of F1........

I do, so I'll give that a look later!

For people unwilling to click on unnamed links, it is a video entitled 'How a Formula 1 Race Car Works' from a YouTube channel called 'Animagraffs'.
by Exediron
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:07 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Brazil 2021 - Should Max have been given a Penalty
Replies: 498
Views: 18708

Re: Brazil 2021 - Should Max have been given a Penalty

Covalent wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:55 am
All I'm doing is questioning is how do we know for sure it was deliberate.
How often does Max miss a corner that badly when it doesn't gain him an advantage?

I don't know that it was deliberate, but it's not very plausible to me that it would be an accident.
by Exediron
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:37 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Brazil 2021 - Should Max have been given a Penalty
Replies: 498
Views: 18708

Re: Brazil 2021 - Should Max have been given a Penalty

The thing is I don't think it should matter that much from a disciplinary perspective whether Verstappen's car behaved the way it did because Verstappen deliberately ran wide or because Verstappen was carrying too much speed and had some understeer. Regardless of intent, the facts are the same. "I'...
by Exediron
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:34 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Who will win the Championships?
Replies: 491
Views: 31233

Re: Who will win the Championships?

Odds on Hamilton taking a new ICE with a 5 place penalty at every remaining race this season, because they'd take the penalty in exchange for the rocketship they had in Brazil :) I would, if it were me! What's 5 places when you can blast past them all on the straight anyway? Absolutely I would. No ...
by Exediron
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:30 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Silly Season 2022
Replies: 639
Views: 43709

Re: Silly Season 2022

Well to be fair he had rubbish cars. Not the best car agreed but over 3 seasons and with a great benchmark teammate he had the chance to show *something* . In qualifying he showed quite a bit, what has Russell really shown, nothing in his first 2 seasons at Williams, the one qualifying at Spa were ...
by Exediron
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:25 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Female Racing Drivers
Replies: 1783
Views: 421178

Re: Female Racing Drivers

Day 1 of FRECA's first winter test at Barcelona saw Emily de Heus (MP), on her first outing in a regional F3 car, manage 54 laps during which she recorded the 35th and slowest time, some 4.5s off the pace of fastest Hadrien David (R-ace). Damp conditions in the morning gradually improved during the...
by Exediron
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:23 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Mercedes vs Red Bull - 2021
Replies: 1199
Views: 79172

Re: Mercedes vs Red Bull - 2021

I have a hard time seeing how you can not give the qualifying point to Mercedes as well. Lewis had a huge gap in qualifying, and clearly would have taken (pre-penalty) pole with or without a new engine. The point is for qualifying advantage which is then taken into the race, none was taken with the...
by Exediron
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:18 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: McLaren
Replies: 7
Views: 648

Re: McLaren

Porsche and Mclaren compete for the same $$$, no collab there, but an Audi engined Macca is a 2026 possibility I really think McLaren is positioned firmly above Porsche in the public market. According to Google, the cheapest McLaren is $184,900; by contrast, only the very top of the range Porsche T...
by Exediron
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:20 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Brazil 2021
Replies: 30
Views: 1148

Re: PF1 Forum teammate wars vote: Brazil 2021

Ricciardo over Norris - Ricciardo really didn't look very good here, but he actually may have been. That Maclaren doesn't look anywhere near as strong as it used to be. Norris had a very solid recovery after his mistake, but the mistake made him lose out to Ricciardo. Norris had the better pace by ...
by Exediron
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:44 am
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: 2021 Brazilian Grand Prix Race Thread
Replies: 509
Views: 16837

Re: 2021 Brazilian Grand Prix Race Thread

The mystery Verstappen onboard footage has still not materialised. If I was Mercedes I'd be demanding to see it. I don't know why people are so upset about this. It's a total red herring and irrelevant to infraction of the rules. Well, I suppose I can see an argument that he ought to get a worse pe...
by Exediron
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:20 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Who will win the Championships?
Replies: 491
Views: 31233

Re: Who will win the Championships?

wolfticket wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:52 pm
Odds on Hamilton taking a new ICE with a 5 place penalty at every remaining race this season, because they'd take the penalty in exchange for the rocketship they had in Brazil :)
I would, if it were me! What's 5 places when you can blast past them all on the straight anyway?
by Exediron
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:19 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Brazil 2021 - Should Max have been given a Penalty
Replies: 498
Views: 18708

Re: Brazil 2021 - Should Max have been given a Penalty

A nice display of non-partisan agreement.

If 93% of a forum that's split pretty evenly between Mercedes and RBR can agree that it's a penalty, it's pretty obviously a penalty and the stewards were just too much of jellyfish to issue one.
by Exediron
Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:59 pm
Forum: F1 & Motorsport Forum
Topic: Mercedes vs Red Bull - 2021
Replies: 1199
Views: 79172

Re: Mercedes vs Red Bull - 2021

I have a hard time seeing how you can not give the qualifying point to Mercedes as well. Lewis had a huge gap in qualifying, and clearly would have taken (pre-penalty) pole with or without a new engine.