planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:46 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Should Verstappen get a penalty for his overtake?
Yes, it was against the rules and I agree 36%  36%  [ 36 ]
Yes, he should get a penalty according to the rules, but I don't agree 12%  12%  [ 12 ]
No, he shouldn't get a penalty, acceptable overtake 52%  52%  [ 51 ]
No, he shouldn't get a penalty, but LeClerc should get one for hitting Max 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 99
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:15 pm 

In fact on the previous lap Max was MORE ahead of Leclerc than on the subsequent lap, but fairly gave Leclerc space so we saw great racing into turn four and Leclerc repassed Max for the lead.

On the second lap, Max had more reason to give Leclerc space than on the first lap, but he deliberately chose not to in order to prevent great racing into turn four so that he could unfairly take the lead. This really is a slam dunk penalty as the first lap is the perfect example of what Max should have been doing, I don't even need to describe it, just watch the first of the two laps, Max should always be racing how he did there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:16 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
BeOnEdge wrote:
Not the smoothest of overtakes but job done by Verstappen.

In my opinion, no penalty - and I'm a Leclerc fan...

Absolutely fantastic drive by Max and a truly deserved win. He was bound to pass Charles at some point on the last couple of laps.

Still gutted that Leclerc hasn't obtained his first GP victory. Even if they do decide to penalise Max, is it really the way you would want to win your first ever GP? Charles will get there and he'll win it fair and square at some point (this season, hopefully!)

So was it poor driving by Max on the earlier lap then, as he didn't punt Leclerc off but apparently he should have done as it was acceptable for him to do it a lap later?

In my opinion, the bottom line of it is that we need racing like this... Raw, hard racing...

Charles wasn't pushed off into a gravel trap and he wasn't punted off into a barrier.

Penalising drivers for this sort of overtake is just unnecessary. Do we want drivers to fear pushing the limits in case of a penalty? If there's a gap, let them go for it! It was exciting... something that this season in particular has severly lacked!

PF1 Autosport GP 2017: 3rd Place

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:19 pm 

Rockie wrote:
People are treating this as if Max is the one defending his position and not the one overtaking.

This is irrelevant because great racing will have the drivers interchanging from being the defending or attacking driver as they jostle for position just like the previous lap showed. Max actually took the lead for a few seconds on the previous lap, but thanks to giving Leclerc space and respecting Leclerc, Leclerc was then able to show that Max's move wasn't quite enough to get the job done as he repassed Max on the way down to turn four.

Whether you are the defender or the attacker, always give your rival space and do not crash into them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:20 pm 

BeOnEdge wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
BeOnEdge wrote:
Not the smoothest of overtakes but job done by Verstappen.

In my opinion, no penalty - and I'm a Leclerc fan...

Absolutely fantastic drive by Max and a truly deserved win. He was bound to pass Charles at some point on the last couple of laps.

Still gutted that Leclerc hasn't obtained his first GP victory. Even if they do decide to penalise Max, is it really the way you would want to win your first ever GP? Charles will get there and he'll win it fair and square at some point (this season, hopefully!)

So was it poor driving by Max on the earlier lap then, as he didn't punt Leclerc off but apparently he should have done as it was acceptable for him to do it a lap later?

In my opinion, the bottom line of it is that we need racing like this... Raw, hard racing...

Charles wasn't pushed off into a gravel trap and he wasn't punted off into a barrier.

Penalising drivers for this sort of overtake is just unnecessary. Do we want drivers to fear pushing the limits in case of a penalty? If there's a gap, let them go for it! It was exciting... something that this season in particular has severly lacked!

Just look at the previous lap and realise that is how they should be racing and that was all much cleaner and more satisfying with no contact.

What happened on the second lap was unsatisfying and there was contact.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:22 pm 

If it was a track where passing was almost impossible I could sort of understand it, although that doesn't change any rules, but the fact that this race was littered with passing that didn't require one driver pushing another off the circuit just leaves a bitter taste.

I think the fact that he drove a safer corner the previous lap but was out accelerated caused him to do what he did. It's not like Max hasn't got a history of aggressive, if entertaining, passing attempts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:23 pm 

There is an entire generation of F1 fans brainwashed to think that every little incident needs to be penalized.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:23 pm 

BeOnEdge wrote:

Wow, completely irrelevant and it makes it hard to respect your opinion when you use arguments such as this.

What is or isn't on the outside of the track limits is irrelevant for determining what is fair or unfair when it comes to racing that occurs inside the track limits.

Just because there was no gravel or wall, Leclerc was punted wide and prevented from being allowed a run at Max down the straight towards turn four.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:24 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Rockie wrote:
People are treating this as if Max is the one defending his position and not the one overtaking.

This is irrelevant because great racing will have the drivers interchanging from being the defending or attacking driver as they jostle for position just like the previous lap showed. Max actually took the lead for a few seconds on the previous lap, but thanks to giving Leclerc space and respecting Leclerc, Leclerc was then able to show that Max's move wasn't quite enough to get the job done as he repassed Max on the way down to turn four.

Whether you are the defender or the attacker, always give your rival space and do not crash into them.

Leclerc was the one who chose the outside instead of the inside.

Which meant his goose was cooked already.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:25 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
There is an entire generation of F1 fans brainwashed to think that every little incident needs to be penalized.

If these incidents get penalised, then they occur less and we see more of the great racing you can get when drivers do respect each other and leave space, like the previous lap's racing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:25 pm 

Rockie wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Rockie wrote:

It worked the lap before.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 357 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:26 pm 

Rockie wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Rockie wrote:

Or perhaps it meant he wanted a better run on to the following straight where he could use the Ferrari's superior straight line speed to keep ahead, just like the previous lap when they battled side by side and he came out on top. Taking the inside line gives you shocking acceleration on to the next straight where Max would have had DRS again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:26 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
If it was a track where passing was almost impossible I could sort of understand it, although that doesn't change any rules, but the fact that this race was littered with passing that didn't require one driver pushing another off the circuit just leaves a bitter taste.

I think the fact that he drove a safer corner the previous lap but was out accelerated caused him to do what he did. It's not like Max hasn't got a history of aggressive, if entertaining, passing attempts.

Exactly, he cheated because he realised that he wasn't quite fast enough to completely get the move done on Leclerc. He had to resort to pushing him off the track instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:29 pm 

I'm not a Max fan, although it appears he seems to be acting lot more mature this year, however what is clear is peoples bias clouding their judgment - this was a fair pass.

Last edited by yodasarmpit on Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:30 pm 

Play devils advocate here.

Max had marginally won the battle to win the corner. What could Leclerc have done to avoid contact?

Car #36 - Blog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:33 pm 

Badgeronimous wrote:

Max had marginally won the battle to win the corner. What could Leclerc have done to avoid contact?

Not a lot, it played out without any harm - nothing really had to change. A little bump, big deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:33 pm 

Badgeronimous wrote:

Leclerc was on the outside so has a responsibility to not chop his car fully towards the apex of the corner and hit Max, (like Schumacher did to Hill in Australia 94).

Leclerc respects that Max has the apex and therefore the shortest path through the corner, and Max needs to respect that Leclerc has the right to use the outside kerbing and be able to put the power down sooner for the following straight.

They both give something up and take something each. Instead Max wanted to greedily have the right to both the apex AND the outside kerbing, when he should only be entitled to one of the two.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:35 pm 

Obviously a penalty - the rules state that you have to allow the cae ahead/alongside room - Verstappen didn't there can be no doubt about that.

Do people not know the rules ?

I just don't know what a suitable punishment should be. As with Vettel's penalty it would have been better if Verstappen had handed the place back and tried again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:36 pm 

I went with acceptable overtake, but I wont be surprised if Max gets a penalty. As much as I was rooting for Leclerc, I still hope the result stands.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:39 pm 

Greenman wrote:

Obviously a penalty - the rules state that you have to allow the cae ahead/alongside room - Verstappen didn't there can be no doubt about that.

I just don't know what a suitable punishment should be. As with Vettel's penalty it would have been better if Verstappen had handed the place back and tried again.

That rule needs to change ASAP.

LeClerc needs to concede the corner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:39 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
BeOnEdge wrote:

Wow, completely irrelevant and it makes it hard to respect your opinion when you use arguments such as this.

What is or isn't on the outside of the track limits is irrelevant for determining what is fair or unfair when it comes to racing that occurs inside the track limits.

Just because there was no gravel or wall, Leclerc was punted wide and prevented from being allowed a run at Max down the straight towards turn four.

It's racing... I'm not calling for F1 to be a contact sport, but this stuff happens in racing... Penalising drivers constantly for questionable passes like this turns the sport into a joke.

You all complain that there isn't enough over taking, you get an over take and yet again, you all complain.

Bore off. Let us just have 71 laps of formation, that'll remove any controversy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:40 pm 

Unreal they ruled for LeClerc

Edit: fake source. Sorry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:44 pm 

KingVoid wrote:

True. Yet the worst part is that the younger drivers tend to cry "foul". Hamilton did it in Canada, Norris today and Leclerc after him. Pussycats, crybabies.

But at the end of the day, everyone will praise Dijon 1979 as the greatest ever battle. Generation of hypocrites.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:46 pm 

BeOnEdge wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
BeOnEdge wrote:

It's racing... I'm not calling for F1 to be a contact sport, but this stuff happens in racing... Penalising drivers constantly for questionable passes like this turns the sport into a joke.

You all complain that there isn't enough over taking, you get an over take and yet again, you all complain.

Bore off. Let us just have 71 laps of formation, that'll remove any controversy.

This stuff happens in racing because it continually goes unpunished when it shouldn't be. Max was being greedy and naughty, end of. What Max showed on the previous lap is what he should always be doing and the racing on the previous lap was better than the lap when Max actually got past.

By penalising this, we get better, more satisfying racing like the first lap.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:48 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

True. Yet the worst part is that the younger drivers tend to cry "foul". Hamilton did it in Canada, Norris today and Leclerc after him. Pussycats, crybabies.

But at the end of the day, everyone will praise Dijon 1979 as the greatest ever battle. Generation of hypocrites.

Dijon 1979 was evidence of drivers giving each other space wasn't it? Hence people who are calling for penalties now actually want to see more of Dijon 1979 and not less of it.

Max vs CL on the first lap was like Dijon 1979.

Max vs CL on the second lap was nothing like Dijon 1979.

So people who want a penalty, are in favour of Dijon 1979 and are not being hypocrites.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:49 pm 

Honda_PD wrote:
Greenman wrote:

That rule needs to change ASAP.

LeClerc needs to concede the corner

Why? I see no reason for Leclerc to wave Verstappen past when they were all but level with each other through the corner. They're supposed to be racing each other, not jumping out of the way whenever someone gets alongside.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:53 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Dijon 1979 was evidence of drivers giving each other space wasn't it? Hence people who are calling for penalties now actually want to see more of Dijon 1979 and not less of it.

So people who want a penalty, are in favour of Dijon 1979 and are not being hypocrites.

You need to watch Dijon 1979 again because you don’t remember that battle very well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:53 pm 

KingVoid wrote:

Exactly :lol:

I started watching F1 in the early 90's, probably why people like me see things differently and more freely.

Modern generation arrived to believe F1 is some kind of court case scenario.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:55 pm 

Quote:
Max Verstappen said drivers “have to stay at home” and there is no point “being in Formula 1”

You are right Max, you drive like you are still in Karts, go home and let the grown ups play until such time as you understand that you are wrong sometimes

Last edited by Battle Far on Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:55 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

You need to watch Dijon 1979 again because you don’t remember that battle very well.

I am thinking of a long battle with cars side-by-side and no contact, racing over several laps. Now if there was any forcing outside of track limits, (can't remember exactly), then this is wrong and shouldn't have been allowed to happen, even back in 1979.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:57 pm 

Battle Far wrote:
Quote:
Max Verstappen said drivers “have to stay at home” and there is no point “being in Formula 1”

You are right Max, you drive like you are still in Karts, go home and let the grown ups play until such time as you understand that you are wrong sometimes

Fans like this deserve parade races.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:57 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
BeOnEdge wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
BeOnEdge wrote:

This stuff happens in racing because it continually goes unpunished when it shouldn't be. Max was being greedy and naughty, end of. What Max showed on the previous lap is what he should always be doing and the racing on the previous lap was better than the lap when Max actually got past.

Greedy and naughty? There was a gap and he went for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:59 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
BeOnEdge wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
BeOnEdge wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:04 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Start it at 3.14.

What part resembled what Verstappen did & i'd even say if that was raced in 2019 instead of 1979 there'd be no penalties for the way Villeneuve & Arnoux raced that lap.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 357 trophies available, 24 won

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:08 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

Start it at 3.14.

What part resembled what Verstappen did & i'd even say if that was raced in 2019 instead of 1979 there'd be no penalties for the way Villeneuve & Arnoux raced that lap.

Wow, Dijon 1979 is nasty, thank you for showing. We just need racing like the first lap of Max vs CL Austria 2019, where no contact ever happens but there is still jostling and neither car ever leaves the track.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:11 pm 

No. But heard he got the penalty.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:19 pm 

One of the more recent ones. Presumably due to rain and both of them at it they thought it wasn't worth looking at :D

edit - blah, blocked. Link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnxUu36-uYw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:21 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
KingVoid wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Start it at 3.14.

Wow, Dijon 1979 is nasty, thank you for showing. We just need racing like the first lap of Max vs CL Austria 2019, where no contact ever happens but there is still jostling and neither car ever leaves the track.

Nasty?

Thats what I call hard but fair racing.

Yeah they banged wheels one or twice, nothing wrong with that even today, but for the most part they gave each other racing room & were tough but fair.

You could maybe penalize Villeneuve at the 3.30 mark but Arnoux ended up ahead out of that anyway. Other than that, as I said, they raced tough but very fairly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:21 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:

I'd consider changing my username if I were you....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:25 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Badgeronimous wrote:

Leclerc was on the outside so has a responsibility to not chop his car fully towards the apex of the corner and hit Max, (like Schumacher did to Hill in Australia 94).

Leclerc respects that Max has the apex and therefore the shortest path through the corner, and Max needs to respect that Leclerc has the right to use the outside kerbing and be able to put the power down sooner for the following straight.

They both give something up and take something each. Instead Max wanted to greedily have the right to both the apex AND the outside kerbing, when he should only be entitled to one of the two.

DING DING!

This is the best description of this incident. Max drove brilliantly all day, hard but fair and clean, and when in the previous lap he realized Leclerc wasn’t going to just let him go if he challenged for the lead, he resorted to a cheap tactic, though he did it superbly well enough that many feel it’s just a racing incident.

The fact Charles left him a ton of room to work with doesn’t mean he should continue on straight on order to force his rival to turn in extremely wide and THEN proceed to punch him wide via the drift caused from acceleration. That last bit is what most of you armchair experts fail to see. These cars look like they’re turning on rails, but they do in fact drift outward and that aspect can be controlled quite well be the driver. So while Max did hold his wheel mostly to the right, the time at which he does so, coupled with his right foot caused the car to masterfully do precisely what he intended to while to the casual fan it looked like he didn’t do anything but try and make the turn.

I think Max should have simply fought fairly regardless of winning or finishing 2nd because he’d already won bigtime in that race, and had he won cleanly I think even Ferrari fans would have applauded him and felt he deserved it, INCLUDING Leclerc. I was more impressed with Max today than ever before and then this happened and I was like why did you have to do that?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:29 pm 

Yeh I was ready to give Max maximum marks but he stained his performance with a clumsy move so he only gets a 7 out of 8 in my ranking system - and I was so excited to finally hand out another score of 8!! 8)