planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:56 pm 

Johnson wrote:
Tassadar wrote:
Brundle "second a lap, that echos back to the days of Williams, McLaren, and Schumi at Ferrari, they had the front row locked out"

Where have you been since 2014? Unreal.

Mercedes had on average 0.5 over 2014-2016 which is still enough to lock out every front row but it was never consistently a second. They very rarely had more than 0.7

You miss the point, lol. I don't mean literally (which I don't think Brundle meant either). Schumi's teams never had a full second either. The point is Mercedes' dominance has been just as strong as those teams and he seemed to act like it hasn't existed since those aforementioned teams.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:57 pm 

Great to see Mclaren back up there ;-)

The Haas is definitely looking the best of the rest this weekend. More than half a second between them and anyone else

Gonna be an incredible end to the session!

Vettel doesn't have a banker. Risky strategy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:01 pm 

Poor lap by Vettel I think!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:02 pm 

And now the "will lecler c be allowed to compete with his teammate" in qualifying. It gets fricking old.

Nice not Leclerc... Stuff 'em

Last edited by Blake on Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:02 pm 

Great job Charles!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:03 pm 

Pretty impressive by Leclerc there. Kept his cool and I think Vettel didn't. Little nod to Verstappen for beating the Haas when he's looked slower the whole session

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:03 pm 

Awesome first pole for Leclerc, Ferrari showing a bit more what we expected from winter testing. Shame in a way that Leclerc improved on that first time, his banker would have been the exact same pole time as last year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:04 pm 

Awesome leclerc quite significantly faster than vettel on what is supposed to be one of vettels best track.

What's guy!

Last edited by FormulaFun on Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:05 pm 

Congratulations Charles! Fist of many poles I’m sure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:05 pm 

Fantastic pole for Leclerc, Merc closed a bit, but the Ferraris were too good today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:06 pm 

Ferrari's faith & early signing of Leclerc has been truly justified today. Hope Ferrari don't get in his way to the win!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:06 pm 

Both laps quicker than Vettel, LeClerc has a chance for glory, Vettel has to pass him to win. Merc no far behind, looks like a good race tomorrow!
Unless Ferrari mess it up with team orders of course.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:11 pm 

Leclerc WDC 2019, obviously.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:21 pm 

Great performance in every session by Leclerc. Vettel just doesn't seem very comfortable. I still think that Bottas is a different man to last year. He was pretty close to Hamilton in qualifying last weekend. And just 0.066 behind this time. He will just have to hope that he can get a good start.

I think it is quite easily going to be a Ferrari 1 - 2 in the race. Vettel's pace seemed much better to begin with compared to Leclerc last race, but then suddenly dropped. We will see, but I think this is a likely win for Leclerc. We will also need to look out for Verstappen behind the Mercedes, but I somehow feel Red Bull won't be close this time.

I think Bottas will still pretty likely be leading the championship by the end of this race. Especially if Leclerc does better than Vettel. Then also, i'm not sure how easy it will be for the Mercedes to get fastest lap so Bottas's point from last weekend will help him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:24 pm 

Bacus wrote:

Leclerc will be P2 tomorrow, behind Vettel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:27 pm 

trento wrote:
Bacus wrote:

Too early in the season to be pulling that crap.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:30 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Great performance in every session by Leclerc. Vettel just doesn't seem very comfortable. I still think that Bottas is a different man to last year. He was pretty close to Hamilton in qualifying last weekend. And just 0.066 behind this time. He will just have to hope that he can get a good start.

I think it is quite easily going to be a Ferrari 1 - 2 in the race. Vettel's pace seemed much better to begin with compared to Leclerc last race, but then suddenly dropped. We will see, but I think this is a likely win for Leclerc. We will also need to look out for Verstappen behind the Mercedes, but I somehow feel Red Bull won't be close this time.

I think Bottas will still pretty likely be leading the championship by the end of this race. Especially if Leclerc does better than Vettel. Then also, i'm not sure how easy it will be for the Mercedes to get fastest lap so Bottas's point from last weekend will help him.

Agree Vettel doesn't look comfortable. He was only 3 hundredths ahead of Hamilton and the Ferrari is clearly better than the Merc here.

McLaren should be pretty happy today. Two drivers in the top ten. I wonder if Alonso had still been there whether they might even have out-qualified Max in the Red Bull, too. Strange how everything is so different from two weeks ago

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:34 pm 

Maranello1 wrote:
trento wrote:
Bacus wrote:

Not so sure about that, Ferrari may have already made the first tactical error of the season by making LeClerc hold station behind Vettel in the last race.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:37 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Maranello1 wrote:
trento wrote:
Bacus wrote:

Not so sure about that, Ferrari may have already made the first tactical error of the season by making LeClerc hold station behind Vettel in the last race.

or you could take what Ferrari themselves have said about it:

Asked if Leclerc is allowed to beat Vettel, Binotto added: "Charles is allowed to go as fast as he can. He's allowed to go for pole, he's allowed to stay ahead. We are not stopping him doing that.

"I think it is important that our two drivers are not fighting and taking any risks battling together. But no doubt, if on the first lap Charles is ahead he will stay. If at the end of the race he is ahead he will stay ahead."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-leclerc-fastest-lap-mistake/4361312/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:51 pm 

Leclerc will be sacked, he's too fast.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:52 pm 

Ferrari would want their young sensation Leclerc to win tomorrow. After a very low in Australia, they would be at the top & elated if Leclerc wins.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:55 pm 

So what does that mean Zoue if he qualifies ahead of Vettel then Seb has to hold station and not race him?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:55 pm 

This year looks a bit like last year. Australia is a bit of a fluke as Ferrari clearly didn't have their act together there for some reason. Like last year, they will probably be the quickest at most venues. They were easily the fastest here and I thought Charles did a really impressive job. Basically he never put a wheel wrong and looked like he was setting his 30th pole and not his 1st. It's one theing for the team to call him off when he's behind Vettel but I do not think they will ask him to move out of the way when he's in front. If he can keep his lead at the start, this will be his race to win and it will be his chance to put an end to all of that "supporting role" talk.

Kind of a bumpy day for Vettel but I'm sure he's not too upset with the front row position. Things could have gone a lot worse considering the poor timing of the team in Q2; releasing him into all of that traffic. For the race tomorrow it will be interesting to see how the tires factor into things. Tire life differences between Mercedes and Ferrari might end up being a significant factor. I don't expect Ferrari to have the same edge in race pace that they have in qualifying.

Well done to McLaren by the way. They were very impressive here. Haas are still clearly the 4th best car IMO but McLaren are the team that is closest to them and NOT Renault at the moment.

FYI, Red Bull might need to demote Gasly mid-season if things keep going like this. I hate to be a prisoner of the moment but he has not been at all impressive and Albon and Kvyatt would both be worth a look in the car.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:13 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
So what does that mean Zoue if he qualifies ahead of Vettel then Seb has to hold station and not race him?

to me it looks like they are saying they don't want the drivers to fight each other. Being cautious. Pretty much what it says on the tin.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:29 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
This year looks a bit like last year. Australia is a bit of a fluke as Ferrari clearly didn't have their act together there for some reason. Like last year, they will probably be the quickest at most venues. They were easily the fastest here and I thought Charles did a really impressive job. Basically he never put a wheel wrong and looked like he was setting his 30th pole and not his 1st. It's one theing for the team to call him off when he's behind Vettel but I do not think they will ask him to move out of the way when he's in front. If he can keep his lead at the start, this will be his race to win and it will be his chance to put an end to all of that "supporting role" talk.

Kind of a bumpy day for Vettel but I'm sure he's not too upset with the front row position. Things could have gone a lot worse considering the poor timing of the team in Q2; releasing him into all of that traffic. For the race tomorrow it will be interesting to see how the tires factor into things. Tire life differences between Mercedes and Ferrari might end up being a significant factor. I don't expect Ferrari to have the same edge in race pace that they have in qualifying.

Well done to McLaren by the way. They were very impressive here. Haas are still clearly the 4th best car IMO but McLaren are the team that is closest to them and NOT Renault at the moment.

FYI, Red Bull might need to demote Gasly mid-season if things keep going like this. I hate to be a prisoner of the moment but he has not been at all impressive and Albon and Kvyatt would both be worth a look in the car.

Aside from the bit in bold, I agree with most of what you are saying here (doesn't need a big discussion as we're not likely to change each others' minds on it!). I especially agree that tyres could spring a surprise tomorrow (a bit like they nearly did last year). One minor difference is that I think Haas might be looking like 3rd best car here, not 4th. I thin Max made the difference and I think both Haas drivers possibly under-performed.

To add to your comments on Gasly, I think Giovinazzi might also have cause to be nervous unless he starts picking things up. Kimi's making him look very slow.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:32 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Maranello1 wrote:
trento wrote:
Bacus wrote:

Asked if Leclerc is allowed to beat Vettel, Binotto added: "Charles is allowed to go as fast as he can. He's allowed to go for pole, he's allowed to stay ahead. We are not stopping him doing that.

"I think it is important that our two drivers are not fighting and taking any risks battling together. But no doubt, if on the first lap Charles is ahead he will stay. If at the end of the race he is ahead he will stay ahead."

It'll be interesting to see how long that lasts if the two of them end up in direct competition with each other for the title. Vettel in particular hasn't been too inclined to obey team orders in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:34 pm 

j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
Maranello1 wrote:
trento wrote:

It'll be interesting to see how long that lasts if the two of them end up in direct competition with each other for the title. Vettel in particular hasn't been too inclined to obey team orders in the past.
I think there have been reasons for it, to be fair, but yes, any F1 driver who thinks he has a realistic chance of a title is less likely to play ball the more real that chance becomes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:41 pm 

What is worrying for Vettel is that in every session Leclerc was noticeably faster. Vettel went out late in Q2 when the track had evolved and he still could not match what Leclerc did in the beginning of the session. If Charles drives away from him tomorrow then it will become hard for Ferrari to protect him. To me it looks like Charles is simply faster at this venue. We shall see. I must say I am surprised. I did not expect Charles to trouble Vettel just yet. Perhaps he is that generational talent most are touting him to be.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:45 pm 

So in reality LeClerc will have to keep position but I just can't see Vettel doing the same if he is faster, I can see a red mist moment on the horizon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:51 pm 

Zoue wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Aside from the bit in bold, I agree with most of what you are saying here (doesn't need a big discussion as we're not likely to change each others' minds on it!). I especially agree that tyres could spring a surprise tomorrow (a bit like they nearly did last year). One minor difference is that I think Haas might be looking like 3rd best car here, not 4th. I thin Max made the difference and I think both Haas drivers possibly under-performed.

To add to your comments on Gasly, I think Giovinazzi might also have cause to be nervous unless he starts picking things up. Kimi's making him look very slow.

With regards to Haas; you get what you pay for. After last season, it became obvious that they actually have a very strong car and that their drivers are holding them back. Instead of upgrading their lineup, they chose to get both guys back at reduced salaries. Basically it's the Williams approach from back in the day and they will underachieve like Williams until they change it. There are many drivers who are superior to the ones that they have and it would be easy to sign one of them. This will be the second season in a row where they will lose out purely because of the guys at the wheel.

As for the bit about Giovinazzi; I think he's just keeping the seat warm for Michael's son. If Mick is strong this year in F2 (and especially if he wins the title) Giovinazzi will be gone in 2020 without any doubt. I kind of think Mick might spend 2 years in F2 though. That has been his MO up to this point in the junior categories; one year to learn and then the next year to win. I don't think Ferrari will be inclined to rush him. If Haas do decide to finally upgrade one of their drivers; the guy they drop might get "demoted" to Sauber in 2020 if Mick isn't ready to come up yet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:55 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
So in reality LeClerc will have to keep position but I just can't see Vettel doing the same if he is faster, I can see a red mist moment on the horizon.

If Vettel is faster he will attack and I do not blame him at all. That mentality is the difference between champions and guys who retire with a few wins. You can't leave it up to other people to determine when it's appropriate for you to fight. Ultimately, they don't care if you win or if your teammate wins; it's still a win for the team. As a driver, you have to fight for yourself in addition to fighting for your team. All of the greats have done it at one point or another.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:08 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Tassadar wrote:
Brundle "second a lap, that echos back to the days of Williams, McLaren, and Schumi at Ferrari, they had the front row locked out"

Where have you been since 2014? Unreal.

:lol: :thumbup:

Only that Mercedes did not have a second in hand.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 15th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:10 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Isn’t Gasly supposed to be a Bahrain specialist? He is awful.

Verstappen is not Hartley.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:11 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

If Vettel is faster he will attack and I do not blame him at all. That mentality is the difference between champions and guys who retire with a few wins. You can't leave it up to other people to determine when it's appropriate for you to fight. Ultimately, they don't care if you win or if your teammate wins; it's still a win for the team. As a driver, you have to fight for yourself in addition to fighting for your team. All of the greats have done it at one point or another.

I completely agree but it should be the same for both drivers, won't LeClerc will have to comply with the team though in order to retain his place?
The faster driver may well then lose points in a tight finish that could mean everything. Ferrari may already have dropped a fastest lap point.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:13 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Vettel doesn't have a banker. Risky strategy

He only has 1 set of new tyres because he needed to do 2 runs in Q2.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:14 pm 

Blake wrote:
And now the "will lecler c be allowed to compete with his teammate" in qualifying. It gets fricking old.

Nice not Leclerc... Stuff 'em

Strange post. :?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:22 pm 

Zoue wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Kimi's out qualified Giovinazzi by less than a tenth both times.